Had to leave one behind

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went riding out East of Ponoka today, and had to leave a sled behind. :(

Snow was good riding was good, on the way back in, I got it stuck in a drift, had made a couple attempts to get it out while I was waiting for some help. It was idling in the drift, help got there, started to shovel, and it stalled. Couldn't get it restarted.

So we decided to tow it out, and broke the strap twice. :mad:

So it looks like next weekend is a recovery mission. Nothing like leaving your sled in a field for a week. :rant:

Not that anyone really cares, but it is a 92 polaris indy 650 efi. Seems to be electrical, as the fuel pump doesn't make any sound pulling it over now.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Snow was good riding was good, on the way back in, I got it stuck in a drift, had made a couple attempts to get it out while I was waiting for some help. It was idling in the drift, help got there, started to shovel, and it stalled. Couldn't get it restarted.

So it looks like next weekend is a recovery mission. Nothing like leaving your sled in a field for a week. :rant:

Not that anyone really cares, but it is a 92 polaris indy 650 efi. Seems to be electrical, as the fuel pump doesn't make any sound pulling it over now.

my sled did the same thing but i was pinned GOOD LUCK

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I got stuck in chest deep snow today, spent 20 mins diggin out, twice

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i wouldnt leave it in the field for a week do you need a hand getting it out prior to then

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good old RXL. Theres a reason they stopped making them.:d The sound you hear when pulling it over is the fuel pump priming the system. Once the system is up to pressure the pump stops working until it needs to. It is more than likely flooded.
I on the other hand, had a 93 500 EFI that always worked awesone for me and those I sold it to. Still running great.:beer:

Last edited:

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt leave it in the field for a week do you need a hand getting it out prior to then

I would love to get it out, prior, but my work schedule doesn't allow for it. We are right in the busy season, so 12hr days typically. Saturday AM is the earliest I can go. :(

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good old RXL. Theres a reason they stopped making them.:d The sound you hear when pulling it over is the fuel pump priming the system. Once the system is up to pressure the pump stops working until it needs to. It is more than likely flooded.
I on the other hand, had a 93 500 EFI that always worked awesone for me and those I sold it to. Still running great.:beer:

LOL, yeah RXL it is. When I get it home, it is getting a FULL rework of the wiring, before it goes out again, and when it goes out, it will be in a ditch 5 min from home for a few good rides.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got stuck in chest deep snow today, spent 20 mins diggin out, twice

Yeah getting stuck doesn't bother me, happens lots. Just wasn't really expecting it in the field, and even more then not expecting getting stuck, was not expecting the sled to die waiting to get it unstuck, after running great all day. Oh well just one of those days.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my help got called into work.

If anyone else in the area (just west of Bashaw) is available tomorrow morning (Sunday 16th) it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I am sure with the new tow rope, I can get it at least back to the lease road, and then bring the trailer to it.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well fate seems to be determined that I am bound to fail on the recovery of this sled for at least another, week.

Got all the way back out there today, and the start primer had given up the ghost so the recovery sled wouldn't start. :( Tried fuel down the plug holes, and it would catch for a second, but never really run, and after about 5 times with the plugs out, I gave up on it. Just couldn't get enough heat into the cylinders with such short run time to get it to go on it's own.

Tried fuel in the carb mouth, but with these side drafts, it mostly just pooled up, and really didn't help anything.

All in all dicked around with it for about an hour, gave up packed up and drove the 2 hrs back home.

Even if I had got the sled running, I think it would have been a tough recovery for that 121 x .5 track machine, as it had snowed another 4-6" since last weekend, and was quite fluffy everywhere. Maybe not starting was a blessing in disguise.

So this week I will pickup a new fuel primer, and make sure that sled is right ready to go. Looks like this coming weekend should be on the + side of 0, so when I get to the dead RXL it will be warm enough I can spend some time seeing if I can get it to run with my gloves off for more then 30 seconds at a time.

Leaving a sled for 2 weeks in a field sucks but sled < job.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey dude, I live out in Beiseker, I have this Friday off, and my old Safari Cheyenne, although it ain't much to look at, has a 503 Rotax fan, with the long track, and has towed every other sled that I've owned in AB a least once, is definately available to you if you need.

I'll pm you my info, gimme a ring if I can help with the rescue

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, any help at this point is good help.

Sunday will be my only free day this weekend, didn't count on a sled being there when I agreed to the H2S course on Saturday, and unfortunately I am an 8am-6pm mon-fri guy, at this time of the year.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, any help at this point is good help.

Sunday will be my only free day this weekend, didn't count on a sled being there when I agreed to the H2S course on Saturday, and unfortunately I am an 8am-6pm mon-fri guy, at this time of the year.

Where about's is your sled stuck at? How far from Edmonton?

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can most likely go on wednesday if snow stops for a minute or 2, I contract with city of st. albert and have not stopped since Dec 18th. I might have wednesday off and can go with someone else, 503 tundra or scandic would be easy to get out. Let me know be back home tomorrow night again sopm me. Thanks
PS I can go at night after 6ish anytime this week.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can most likely go on wednesday if snow stops for a minute or 2, I contract with city of st. albert and have not stopped since Dec 18th. I might have wednesday off and can go with someone else, 503 tundra or scandic would be easy to get out. Let me know be back home tomorrow night again sopm me. Thanks
PS I can go at night after 6ish anytime this week.

Unfortunately it is about a 2hr drive for me from my house. So after work the earliest I could get there is ~830pm. It just makes it too late of an evening. Sunday is going to be the day.

Like you said it hasn't stopped snowing. I hope it does this week, or I might not be able to find it. :fear: Okay that is a bit of an over exaggeration, but it might still be fun getting it out.

Top Bottom