H2 is heading in a whole new direction .looking for advice

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooo been on the road for the last 12 years ..trucking up a storm , done the Ice Roads, Alaska Highway, 1.2 Million miles accident free ..former Paramedic, Heavy Equipenty operator.... First Aid Instructor , CPR Instructor etc ...Driver Trainer ....now has come a opportunity..where as I can live the best of both worlds and be hom every night ..

coming from 20 hour days little to no time time off .....no fishing, hunting ...and holy old fawk no sleddin either ...gettin pretty sick and tired of runnin the road ....got a shot at being a DOT ....scale guy ..still dealing with the same world but different circumstances ....

8 hour days , benefits ...running around in a patrol car with red and blues ..and most of all ......being with my family ......

thoughts appreciated

brucehiscott

Reaction score
Re: H2 is heading in a e whole new direction .looking for advice

good on ya man, I am doing the same thing. Been a machinist for 5 years, thought it was going to be my career but the market is horrible and it bores me. Going into law enforcement and am happy to make the change. I would rather be happy with a little less money then no life and no family time, plus in the end government pension is great

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooo been on the road for the last 12 years ..trucking up a storm , done the Ice Roads, Alaska Highway, 1.2 Million miles accident free ..former Paramedic, Heavy Equipenty operator.... First Aid Instructor , CPR Instructor etc ...Driver Trainer ....now has come a opportunity..where as I can live the best of both worlds and be hom every night ..

coming from 20 hour days little to no time time off .....no fishing, hunting ...and holy old fawk no sleddin either ...gettin pretty sick and tired of runnin the road ....got a shot at being a DOT ....scale guy ..still dealing with the same world but different circumstances ....

8 hour days , benefits ...running around in a patrol car with red and blues ..and most of all ......being with my family ......

thoughts appreciated

Do it, the family would appreciate it more than you can imagine. You live in one of the nicest locations on earth and no time to enjoy it, 8 hour days with benefit's, and a family life..... Nothing can replace that trust me, I've been burning the candle like you. My oldest is 18 then 16 and 10, found out I have cancer and surgery is this month, put a whole new perspective on life.... Where did all the years go, I missed a lot like you have.:confused:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

It's a no brainer, where is the dillema.I did 3 years in Fort Mac mostly 18 and 3, wasn't the cause but helped in the breakdown of my marriage and made my fight for custody that much tougher.Now I work in the same field, in town, mon-fri, 8-5, decent pay. Not fort McMurray money but quality of life is beyond compare. I get to tuck my kids in every night, something taken for granted until you can't.

Congrats on the offer, I Know what I'd do.CheersBogger:beer:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

H2, that is so awesome. I really really believe that family comes first. My husband was going to take a high paying job which required him to work away from home. He tried it for 2 weeks. We were miserable. He decided to go back to work at the mill, which wasn't as high paying but we would be able to have a family life. 2 years later and he is so thankful for his job and recent promotion. The mill has a great specialty market so it is actually a better employer. We have made sacrifices, yet we are able to sled, quad, fish and be a family together. I work a few days a week doing a variety of careers from home that allow me to stay home and school the kids. Everything from Doula, massage therapist, music teacher, and dog groomer. Good for you and your family.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want to go from hating DOT's to being one. Also being a driver myself (oilfield) those guys can be our worst nightmare come true. But if you got the opportunity and want to have the free time, have at it. Good luck to you if you choose the new career, and if you do I drive a big blue and white vac truck. Please take pity on me, I already hate my job.:d

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you never know until you try , cant go back and make up for lost opportunities , be lots of fun right off the bat pulling over your old buddies and run them through the ringer :d

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want to go from hating DOT's to being one. Also being a driver myself (oilfield) those guys can be our worst nightmare come true. But if you got the opportunity and want to have the free time, have at it. Good luck to you if you choose the new career, and if you do I drive a big blue and white vac truck. Please take pity on me, I already hate my job.:d

all I can say is you are y brother and I woin't be a prick ...I wanna be a guy from the real world:beer::d

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as long as it pays the bills! then do whats right for you and the family. i say do it!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If your gonna go DOT....just ignore the "overall legnth" thread...mums the word.

hehehe

Bogger:beer:

Sleddingdad

Reaction score

Can't put a price on being home everynight. It is the best. As long as you can live within your budget, nothing to worry about.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all I can say is you are y brother and I woin't be a prick ...I wanna be a guy from the real world:beer::d

That was my thought. Nothing better than a guy that's there to enforce the law, but not be an a$$hole about it. The guy whose ACTUALLY BEEN ON THE OTHER SIDE. It's the guys coming into law enforcement with the chip on the shoulder or something to prove that are no better than the bad guy. I say go for it and do a good job at it without being the dink. Enforce the law but do it with education and a firm hand, not with something to prove. Good on yah!

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say you should at lease try it and see if you enjoy it, you don't want to have a regret that you didn't try, family time is the best when you can see your kids, and the wife more( quality time ), and if you don't like it you can always get back to driving or whatever. Good luck

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2 bits are this . I was long haul doing north america. Loved it peace and quiet all the time in the world to think. Met many people and shared many laughs. Then got i got the news my first kid was on the way. I thought to myself that i could run the road a few more years till the boys were older and to what i thought needed me more. WRONG i needed them. So i went into the office and started with dispatch and permits. I went home everynight. I got to hear the first word the first step. And the first trip to emerg. I know had of been on the road i would have missed out on them all. I would have to say dont give it a second thought, hang-up the log book. And go home to the people who love you

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thoughts appreciated

Gotta do what means the most to you man. If being with fam and friends and closer to home is what matters, then that is all you need to decide. Only you can really answer this question, and it kinda sounds like you already know which way your heart is leading you.........

Good luck and all the best in whichever you decide.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
giver mike!!!!!!!!!!! you can ALWAYS go back to driving, but the family time is hard to make up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
an ex cop i know went into that. then he was also talked into driving truck once in a while short haul stuff. he said he loves doing both mixes it up a bit

Top Bottom