GSP Systems? Want to buy one and have questions

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking to buy a GPS for sledding, but I also want it to work for fishing and when I travel to the city. Got lost last year, and NEVER want that again. I want a color display and fairly easy to figure out. It has to be a hand held unit, something to stuff into my sled coat, unless they can mount on a sled. Do any of them have sound? I know NOTHING about them. Can anyone make some sudgestions as to what brand and model I would need to suit my needs on a GPS?

W

woodies

go with garmin rino 530, radio built in and most peeps run them so you can radio each other.good range easy to use,size of walkie talkie and battery life is upwards of three days on the hill between recharges!

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at either the Garmin e Trex Legend HCx or the Garmin e Trex Venture HC Bundle which comes with extra maps and dash mounts. Has anyone have an opinion on these 2?

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little more money but i think that the rhino is still the gps of choice.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a good place in Edmonton to go and talk to someone about these GPS'? Canadian tire people know nothing, but they can read a box real good. :d Going there was a complete waste of my time. Just thought that they may offer a better price is all.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an American Rino 530HCx Really easy to use and I have an extra mini SD for it with city navigator on it, gives you turn-by turn nav and address look-up when you need to go to town. American version gives you 5W transmitting power on the GMRS channels instead of the 2W on the Canadian units

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try these guys out they have it all.If anything they'll give you all the info even if you do go buy elsewhere.
I buy a cheap Magellan for like $100 off ebay,it does what i need take me where i need to go and get back.
Look at how long a battery will run when fully charged that is the most important thing IMO.Honestly a $100 GPS will get there and back all you do is mark the spot,leave it on and it'll return you.Or mark the spot turn it off to save battery life and when ready to return click it back on and click go to the mark you saved and done.Good luck

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X5 on the Garmin Rino. I have 3 of them and hand them out to others in our group and turn the tracking on for sledding. use them camping, fishing, quading, etc. kids take them while camping, you can always "ping" them to see where they are.

Garmin has unparalleled equipment support and user maps, can't go wrong with any of their hand held devices. recently bought a Garmin Nuvi for an upcoming trip to Disneyland, gonna rent a car this time instead of doing the bus thing. should be interesting....lol.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe that Maptown is in Edmonton and they cayy Garmin along with different software. Price seems to be in the ball park.

rmking10

Reaction score
I've got the Garmin etrex Vista HCx and love it. Small, portable and color screen works really well. I use it for sledding and have never had a problem. Easy to backtrack if you get lost and with additional maps great coverage area in North america. I work in the oil patch and use to get from rig to rig all over B.C. and Alberta. I think it's great for the price and features. The guys at discover GPS are good to deal with.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking to buy a GPS for sledding, but I also want it to work for fishing and when I travel to the city. Got lost last year, and NEVER want that again. I want a color display and fairly easy to figure out. It has to be a hand held unit, something to stuff into my sled coat, unless they can mount on a sled. Do any of them have sound? I know NOTHING about them. Can anyone make some sudgestions as to what brand and model I would need to suit my needs on a GPS?

idefinetly go with a garmin rino 530 hcx, has a color display, very easy to understand, has a two way radio along with noaa weather radio, if other people in your party have a garmin rino you can see where they are in relation to you, you can load topo onto it, i just got this handset and it is absolutely amazing!! well worth the money

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the Garmin etrex Vista HCx and love it. Small, portable and color screen works really well. I use it for sledding and have never had a problem. Easy to backtrack if you get lost and with additional maps great coverage area in North america. I work in the oil patch and use to get from rig to rig all over B.C. and Alberta. I think it's great for the price and features. The guys at discover GPS are good to deal with.

I also have a Vista they are sweet units i use it all the time, i bought it at wholesale sports in edmonton and i had a good experience with the guys down there and there are alot of accessories that you can get for them, mounting hardware for the sled.....etc. hope you get what your looking for.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Garmin Etrex Summit it worked excellent you'll never get lost as long as you keep your rides under eight hours.Only time I really needed it the battery had died. Now I have the Garmin Rino 530 it lasts for three days and with the position marking on the screen with either coordinates or mapping you will never lose your friends that are using Rinos also. The top of the line 530 you don't have to move to use because of built in compass. Also has weather channel that can be set to warn of any bad weather coming your way.On Dec. 31 /08 I and a friend got lost while crossing continental divide wind was blowing you could not see a thing and we rode in circles looking for trail.We stopped looked at GPS and saw we were only 20 feet from trail.
If you can try and buy out of USA as theirs are 5 watts were as ours in Canada are only 2 watts.Hope this info helps and for your sake don't cheap out.

Cheers,
Dave

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures showing were I mounted my Rino530

Attachments

• 2008 m1k sp 162 042 (2).jpg
    2008 m1k sp 162 042 (2).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2008 m1k sp 162 048.jpg
    2008 m1k sp 162 048.jpg