GRRR Why do people try to sell damaged stuff and try to get top dollar.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We are on the hunt for a 5th wheel toy hauler, not new, but about 2007 and newer. Has to have an actual garage. Anyway we went looking at one today guy is asking $28000.00. We get there. Here is a list of what is wrong. Fair size chunk of lino missing, and lino is seperating from cabinet toe kick area, so needs new lino. Moulding missing above man garage door where slide goes. Slide makes a terrible racket going in and out, needs some serious grease. Main 3 step into unit is ready to break. Ladder to roof is only hanging on by one side at top, probably hit a tree. Belly needs some taping up. Sewer cap is missing. Front moulding on outside is damaged. Light covering on 5th wheel part is damaged. Skirting missing screws in several places. Blinds in kitchen and garage all beat up.

Anyway we offered $24000.00 which I think is still too much. He counters with $25000.00 which we knew he would. It is a 2007. If there was no damage like this we would pay a fair price for it, closer to what he is asking anyway. Oh yeah, no hitch with it.

What do you guys think?

PS. When you list an item to sell, please fix it first if you can otherwise be prepaired to give it away.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Iceman10 and lilyellafella (i think that is how it is spelled?) Have a 2005 5th wheel with full garage, loaded to the hill. Very nice shape and I think they want $25,000.00 and no haggling. It is a very nice trailer, I have stayed it in a few times and have considered it for myself. They have it rightr now at Buck lake near Drayton Valley, and they live in the Grove.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya our 5 th wheel isn't a toyhauler. But has a rear hitch allready to tandam.

Buy a cheap quad trailer if u don't have one and buy our trailer for

19000.00 no gst.

Full loaded trailer and top of the line in 2006.

Needs nothing and is ready to camp with 2 batterys, starter kit, ect...

sent from my htc

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hate that. drove half way accross the province once to look at a truck for 20,000 and on the phone she said oh ya its MINTTT. perfect. get there and it was covered in dog hair, not washed and had some serious body damage that didnt show in the photos.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's the general population of morons that inhabit Alberta that are the problem. They paid way too much for something when they bought it because they didn't look at how much the unit cost...... just it needs to $XXX a month to fit in our payment lifestyle....... Idiots. I look at used trucks constantly and just have my time wasted over and over and over....... I bought a decent 05 1500HD GMC almost 2 years ago with 88000 kms on it for $15000.... It wasn't perfect but I spent around $2k in body and paint and then it was. Do you think 2 years later and older I can touch a truck with that mileage for $15k....... Nope. $20K plus...... or it has 200000 kms on it.

Just phoned about one yesterday. 2005 GMC 2500HD 6 liter extended cab short bed 4x4 with 104K on it. It's like my truck as it's Bose stereo, buckets, auto climate control and cloth seats. Dealer is asking just short of $19K for it........ But. It needs 2 tie rod ends, brakes all around and the head unit on the stereo replaced. Funny, at 156K I still have original brake pads and rotors that are in great shape as well as my steering parts and it's tight....... But then again I know what a grease gun is for too. Plus it no doubt needs oil cooler lines, intermediate steering shaft ( because no one else in this province changes it) pins, bushings and anti rattle clips on the brakes as well, probably a water pump, shocks, etc....... Because not one I have looked at has dick all repaired on it.

So I think maybe $10K would be fair considering all the ch!t it is going to need in repairs...... But no, premium price on some 7 year old truck. They are willing to "negotiate" as it needs work, lol. Yeah probably like $18K plus tax....... PASS!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said...... Morons.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's the general population of morons that inhabit Alberta that are the problem. They paid way too much for something when they bought it because they didn't look at how much the unit cost...... just it needs to $XXX a month to fit in our payment lifestyle....... Idiots. I look at used trucks constantly and just have my time wasted over and over and over....... I bought a decent 05 1500HD GMC almost 2 years ago with 88000 kms on it for $15000.... It wasn't perfect but I spent around $2k in body and paint and then it was. Do you think 2 years later and older I can touch a truck with that mileage for $15k....... Nope. $20K plus...... or it has 200000 kms on it.

Just phoned about one yesterday. 2005 GMC 2500HD 6 liter extended cab short bed 4x4 with 104K on it. It's like my truck as it's Bose stereo, buckets, auto climate control and cloth seats. Dealer is asking just short of $19K for it........ But. It needs 2 tie rod ends, brakes all around and the head unit on the stereo replaced. Funny, at 156K I still have original brake pads and rotors that are in great shape as well as my steering parts and it's tight....... But then again I know what a grease gun is for too. Plus it no doubt needs oil cooler lines, intermediate steering shaft ( because no one else in this province changes it) pins, bushings and anti rattle clips on the brakes as well, probably a water pump, shocks, etc....... Because not one I have looked at has dick all repaired on it.

So I think maybe $10K would be fair considering all the ch!t it is going to need in repairs...... But no, premium price on some 7 year old truck. They are willing to "negotiate" as it needs work, lol. Yeah probably like $18K plus tax....... PASS!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said...... Morons.
Yup how much is it a month? Then they'll trade it in two years cause it's not the latest and greatest. No wonder no one does maintenance anymore. Had some people the other day trying to talk us into a rzr "Oh it's so fun and only $300/month." Fawk off.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rubirose, have you talked to Brian at Western Recreational Products? we bought our Tahoe from him, he specializes in toyhaulers and is a decent guy. ours was in fantastic condition, he brings them up from the states. ours came from Idaho and must have been kept indoors, the interior and exterior were in mint shape. he had a few in his lot but mostly bigger ones, he says the 3/4 ton towable units are hard to find.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
rubirose, have you talked to Brian at Western Recreational Products? we bought our Tahoe from him, he specializes in toyhaulers and is a decent guy. ours was in fantastic condition, he brings them up from the states. ours came from Idaho and must have been kept indoors, the interior and exterior were in mint shape. he had a few in his lot but mostly bigger ones, he says the 3/4 ton towable units are hard to find.

Thanks, will check it out. Have thought about going to get one from the states. Have been checking prices there.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will check it out. Have thought about going to get one from the states. Have been checking prices there.
sure are cheaper to the south, we found they were between 5-8000 less for the same units up here. we had a specific model in mind that we were searching for, had to have electric bunks in the garage for the kids and a big enough garage for the commander. after finding 2 units and having them sold out from under us I gave a deposit on the one from WRP so he could hold it until I got down to Gainford to see it. took almost a month to get a day off work, Brian was understanding and super easy going. when we went to see it the fuel station pump quit working, he sent a brand new pump, hose, and nozzle on the greyhound up to Grimshaw the next day, free of charge.

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing that bugs me just as much is when your trying something of your own and it is in good shape and you have it posted for a fair price, one gets all these azz hats that keep trying to low ball ya. Like give me a break I'm not out here to give my s@&t away.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Another thing that bugs me just as much is when your trying something of your own and it is in good shape and you have it posted for a fair price, one gets all these azz hats that keep trying to low ball ya. Like give me a break I'm not out here to give my s@&t away.

There lies the problem. We asked this guy if it was in good shape. He said yes. He never mentioned the hole in the lino, the broken ladder, the almost ready to fall apart main step, broken blinds. The minor stuff not a big deal. But those are costly and time consuming repairs. One persons good shape differs from someone else's. We saw one in Hinton not long ago and it had way more things wrong with it, major stuff, and again this guy wanted top dollar for it. He thought there was nothing wrong with it. If you are going to sell something you need to know what your competition is out there. We can buy this same unit from chiliwack,bc for $20000.00 but how do you trust that all the pics you are seeing really reflect the condition of the unit. When we were selling our Honda Prelude car a guy from Ft. Mac was interested. He asked to see all the pics of the rust, so I took close up pics of the rust and other flaws. Did not have a problem doing that. We were asking a fair price and not in a hurry to sell. Well the guy came down and bought it and after he took it home and had it a few days he let us know that he was very happy with it. How hard is that to do for people. We have had our share of lowballers in the past and will have it again when it comes time to sell our camper. But our price will be fair for the condition it is in. If someone asks to see close up pics of something we will send them. But to tell me that there is nothing wrong with your unit, then drive more than 2 hours to see it and you see all these repairs that need to be done is very discouraging. If he had told us about these problems we would have asked to see closeup pics of all the damage. The hole in the lino really pissed me off, it is serious enough that the whole floor has to be replaced. Try and get top dollar for your house when it has seriously damaged floors. not going to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: LID

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly I usually price stuff about where I want it instead of high and then willing to haggle a lot. It seems to pull lowballers and tire kickers out of the woodwork though. They see one for less than comparable units and immediately think well I can lowball this guy down to my level. No if you're broke go buy junk.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Exactly I usually price stuff about where I want it instead of high and then willing to haggle a lot. It seems to pull lowballers and tire kickers out of the woodwork though. They see one for less than comparable units and immediately think well I can lowball this guy down to my level. No if you're broke go buy junk.

We know what we are willing to spend and we know what kind of quality that price should get you. If the unit had been in better condition we would have been closer to his asking price. We do really like it but the cost of repairs takes away from what we are then willing to pay. We even told him that if he did all the repairs we would pay his lowest go to price, $1500 more than we are willing to pay as it sits. Will have to see what he does once he thinks that over.

We sold an almost mint condition 5th wheel once, it was 6 years old and still smelled new. We only used it for 22 nights that summer. We counted into the fair depreciation for it being 1 year older than when we bought it. We got what we wanted for it. The new owner was very impressed with the shape it was in and was willing to pay fair asking price. Everybody was happy. That is all that we want when buying used.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you decide to go that route I can hook you up with a great guy out of California. Between myself, family and friends we have bought over 12 vehicles/boats/RV from him with great results. He specializes in RVs including toyhaulers

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get ahold of "firefly" on here. He is a supporting vendor on here. And is supper good to deal with and he can find most any trailer your lookin for and if not he will point you in the right direction. The best part is he is an honest straight up guy that'll always steer you in the right direction.

If you go to site sponsor forum look up PARADIS MOTORSPORTS, these are the guys i was refering to.

Last edited:

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was you I wouldn't waste my time on Kijiji, etc. and just go to the US and pick one up. I got mine form Ohio two years ago and its super easy and cheap, cheap, cheap. Brand new and delivered. I will never but one in Canada eh, even the used ones are way more then I paid for mine new. Just my :twocents:

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out RVwholesalers.com They are awesome great prices and very pain free. THey will deliver to border and it is like 10mins at border crossing paper work and pay GST then you are driving away.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was you I wouldn't waste my time on Kijiji, etc. and just go to the US and pick one up. I got mine form Ohio two years ago and its super easy and cheap, cheap, cheap. Brand new and delivered. I will never but one in Canada eh, even the used ones are way more then I paid for mine new. Just my :twocents:

x2
I bought my toyhauler new in Red Deer. Dumb move. I could have bought the same model a year newer for 10g less out of the US. Now I have to keep this thing for 10 years before I can get what it's worth out of it and not lose my shirt!
Buddy bought a new 35' Fuzion 5th wheel toyhauler out of the states for 8g cheaper than I paid for my 28' bumper pull Tahoe toyhauler 3 years later.

Top Bottom