Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Calgary

«
Off-road vehicle ban called for in Alberta's parks and public places

Provincial parks minister says she is committed to protecting the headwaters and wildlife

Alberta@Noon · CBC News January 27, 2016

atv.jpg

Off-road vehicle trails need to be regulated by the province, says conservationist Kevin Van Tighem. (CBC)

A conservationist and former superintendent for Banff National Park is concerned about the destruction caused by off-road vehicles in the province.
Kevin Van Tighem is part of a coalition of individuals and environmental groups calling for strict limits on off-road vehicles on public land and bans in parks and protected areas. He told CBC's Alberta@Noon that anyone who has visited the headwaters of the Bull or Oldman rivers would be horrified by the damage caused.
"It's not what I believe, it's what I see," Van Tighem said this week. "It's sort of like a spreading level of sheer devastation."
Van Tighem is particularly concerned about the use of quads and other motorized vehicles in protected wilderness areas on the Eastern Slopes, including the new parks in the Castle Wilderness area of southwestern Alberta.
Part of the problem is that outside of parks, there is no regulation about what riders can do.
"It's just a dog's breakfast, you can do whatever you like. And they do," Van Tighem said.
A call for provincial leadership

But Van Tighem is careful to point out his problem is with the regulator, not the rider.
"A lot of off-roaders really care about nature, they don't want to be causing harm. But they haven't been given proper facilities. ... Current government inaction has got them unable to be part of the solution."
Worse still, he said is that the province's newly planned provincial park in the Castle region will continue to allow off-road vehicles despite its designation as a park.
The Minister of Environment and Parks Shannon Phillips said she is still looking forward to hearing all points of view on this issue.
"As we move forward with our park management process for the Castle area we are committed to the protection of the headwaters, as well as critical fish and wildlife habitat," Phillips said in a statement to CBC News.
CBC Calgary contacted the Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association, and had not heard back by the time this story was published.

Last edited by a moderator:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was brought to the Alberta BRP dealers yesterday in a meeting we had in Edmonton by a concerned dealer. These people are very powerful that want to do this and are very tight with the new NDP government in power. We all have to make a stand on this and push back before it is to late. The dealer group is sending this info to our manufacturer as this will affect sales of product that will impact all the manufacturers.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers !!!

It's starting too look like group action is needed by sled & atv folk Province wide.

Pretty sure we could see this coming down the pipe.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
This was brought to the Alberta BRP dealers yesterday in a meeting we had in Edmonton by a concerned dealer. These people are very powerful that want to do this and are very tight with the new NDP government in power. We all have to make a stand on this and push back before it is to late. The dealer group is sending this info to our manufacturer as this will affect sales of product that will impact all the manufacturers.
We should chat Ken. I had a great discussion at the Snowmobile Show with a guy about this topic from Yamaha. We as dealers/special interest groups need to band together to go against this group. But we have to be organized and we have to be strategic about our approaches

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should chat Ken. I had a great discussion at the Snowmobile Show with a guy about this topic from Yamaha. We as dealers/special interest groups need to band together to go against this group. But we have to be organized and we have to be strategic about our approaches
I agree Tyler. DSM Gerry Picard will be bringing this to BRP to start the process. I will contact him and make sure he can bring this to the attention of DSM's from the other manufacturers as well. I assume the ASA is aware of this but will mention to Gerry to cc them as well. This will have to be a group effort and a great opportunity for rival manufacturers to work together for a common cause.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What can a regular dude like me do Tyler/ snopro ?

I'm sure others on S&M would pitch in if needed as it is a Alberta thing that needs addressing.

This is what I had going on Land use Canada, I posted this thread on it for others to chime in.

https://www.snowandmud.com/just-about-anything-goes/103585-land-canada.html

Same idea but was looking at a larger scale Province by Province Canada wide.

Pal Lem

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a eye opener but really open your eyes and look at what OHVs have been doing to the land. We all want big power big UTVs big grippy tires and we all want to go wherever we want do whatever we want. We have created this problem now we have to fix it. How many organized OHV clubs are out there. Where is this AOHVA? What have they done to stop this from happening. I'm have a quad and a sled so I know what I see out there.

Letter to our NEW government MLA in your area.

This is BAD NEWS we all need to wake up and get active in making changes to how we operate our stuff out there.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is when changes do happen they wont be fine tuned and directed at certain issues.
The solutions they come up with will be broad stroked and very generalized.

I've seen trail systems get messed up Bad , Yet as bad as they looked that Fall.. the next spring most of the trail is flattened out again from spring moisture.

Muskeg is one system that once its damaged it doesnt really come back very well. But on the other hand most skeg areas people ride are already clear cut power lines or pipelines. Its not like dudes are out there with chain saws clearing skeg lines.

I agree with some things i see but others are laughable , a Spring flood puts far more dirt into a river than any ATV crossing, So long as people aren't driving up rivers in mass #'s its kind of small time.

If you want to see true devastation head out the side roads around Swan hills and look at the cut blocks that are just out of eyes view of public hwy's and main roads.

Cut blocks to me basically look like a mini nuke went off.

If they dont want ATV's crossing rivers.. spend some Gov $ and fund local clubs to build small bridges on the Gov's dime. Half the clubs are spending their own cash to do these things already.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
TOTALLY AGREE, XTREME.... THINK EVEN ON THIS SITE, MEDIA TYPES HAVE ACCOUNTS AND CAN CHIME IN WHENEVER THEY WANT.... I'VE MENTIONED BEFORE BEING CAREFUL WHAT PICS ARE POSTED, AND I EVEN SUSPECT JUST AN AVATAR PIC LIKE LEONARD'S ON THIS SITE MAY BE AMMUNITION

WHICH IS PRETTY FRICKIN' KOOL, I MIGHT ADD :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah. You're right. But still looks bad for ATVers in general. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
he has been contacted and requested to put either a location or a "these videos are made on approved ATV trails" message on them. Much like the quad/snowmobile video's have to do. Ostacruiser on youtube is just as bad, we are our own worst enemy.Who would be interested in getting together and attempting to form an organized "club" within the snowandmud group and get approved by AOHVA?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he has been contacted and requested to put either a location or a "these videos are made on approved ATV trails" message on them. Much like the quad/snowmobile video's have to do. Ostacruiser on youtube is just as bad, we are our own worst enemy.Who would be interested in getting together and attempting to form an organized "club" within the snowandmud group and get approved by AOHVA?

Count me in. As you know I spent time with Rocky RCMP with information handout for off road use. Also Tyler had them at the campout last year. Any way we can educate ourselves to be more responsible will help.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Abso-freakin-lutely!!! I'm in!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Top Bottom