Grizzly Brake Pads - Seriously???

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$210 for a full sets of pads that last less that 1000K? :yikes: Not only that but there's four seperate part numbers, one for each brake. WTF?!

So does this work like a car where you replace left and right together, or can I just replace the ones that are worn? So far I'm seeing one side wear nearly twice as fast at the other and would like to avoid replacing the side that still has 50-60%.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$210 for a full sets of pads that last less that 1000K? :yikes: Not only that but there's four seperate part numbers, one for each brake. WTF?!

So does this work like a car where you replace left and right together, or can I just replace the ones that are worn? So far I'm seeing one side wear nearly twice as fast at the other and would like to avoid replacing the side that still has 50-60%.

You are lucky to get 1000km on a set of brakes

I usually got about 600km on the front brakes on all 3 - 660 grizzlies -
They wear even faster if you do a lot of sand riding - you can even hear the brakes grinding/rubbing.

Rebuilt 2 sets of calipers thinking there wasw a problem and the brake pads wore out the same 600km

Thats the Yamaha Grizzly querk - that and bearings -
Hint - pull all 4 wheel bearing and us a marine grease with a grease needle and fill the bearings as full as you can then reinstall them
Even a set of new bearring has a drop of white grease in them - you can up 6 to 10 hand pumps of the grease gun into a new bearing - which shows you how little grease is actually in the brearing and how mach air space there is which will fill with water as soon as you cross a creek. now the hot bearing is full of water....

All machines have there querks - these are yamaha Grizzly querks

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And do you guys always replace your lefts and rights together, or just the side that's worn?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have about 2600 kms on my first set with lots left. Not sure what you guys are doing. Maybe I just spend more time on the throttle then the brake??? lol.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to say that. Brought me to my point. Not yamahas fault then. It is driver abuse lol.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to say that. Brought me to my point. Not yamahas fault then. It is driver abuse lol.

I feel so sorry for your machine dude. Please just do it the right thing and feed it some mud. Yeah, it costs money but they're worth it.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shut up you guys! I am getting so twitchy that I bought my oil change kit for my quad just to do something with it.(MMMMMMUUUUUDDDDD!!!!!!!!):d

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can do one side at a time, shouldnt matter. its only a quad. but yeah go for jobber pads, 1/3 the price. and make sure you clean and lube your caliper bolts. dont want the caliper to stick and burn one pad off before the other.

jazzman

Reaction score
I just put a front set on at 5500 km they were just about steel on steel. The rears are still 50%. the engine braking on the 09 grizz is not bad. I don't think I am that easy on it.:beer:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Buy the aftermarket pads, cheaper and they last longer. Its the same with the BRP atv's my first set was worn out at about 600k. And my quad has only been in the gravel and light dirt.:d

OK, I fibbed a bit, or alot, its been very muddy.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...And my quad has only been in the gravel and light dirt.:d

lol, you had me pretty confused until I scrolled down to the end of the post.

Despite the cost of brake pads, I reaffirmed my belief in the versitility of the Grizz this weekend while fiving my 'lil sis after she madie it up a hill that we'd just finished watching at leat a dozen people get stuck trying the same thing.

After actually changing my own pads and picking all the dried mud out of the calipers, I'm surprised that they even worked at all. In the end, I guess that's just the price I have to pay for enjoying my machines the way I do.

Top Bottom