Grizzly axle change

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Well since one of my CV joints went south the whole axle had to be replaced it is pretty simple I would imagine most brand would be almost the same

Here is all you need for tools 14MM 17MM 24MM flats wrenches or sockets and a pair of needle nose plyers

100_2031.jpg

Good jack or something to prop it up on is handy, good time to check wheel bearing to see if they are good. Grab top and bottom of wheel and move in and out to see how much play in it

100_2032.jpg

Jack it up, remove the wheel 17MM socket

100_2034.jpg

100_2035.jpg

Remove centercap and cotter pin on castle nut removed castle nut with 24MM wrench watch out it is on very tight I need a 4' snipe to get it off, watch for the O-ring behind it

100_2036.jpg

Take out the spindle boltsX2 17MM nut 14MM bolt

100_2038.jpg

These 2 parts you don't have to do but I did it to give me more room

Loosen top A-arm bolts swimg arm out of the way 17MM nut 14MM bolt
100_2039.jpg

Take off bottom shock bolt, and loosen top shock bolt 17MM nut 14MM bolt and swing out of the way

100_2040.jpg

100_2041.jpg

With a swift pull or 3 in my case it pops out, on the 3rd pop it came out and I almost fell off the stool and my finger slipped off the record button

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
100_2043.jpg

Plug the hole, and check seal if leaking good time to change

100_2046.jpg

The old and new

100_2044.jpg

Transfer the spindle and hub to the new one, or do it later like I did. They just slip on and off. Good time to change wheel bearings if need be.

100_2045.jpg

Make sure you put the spindle on correctly...unless your doing an spindle flip

100_2049.jpg

To put it back in try to center the C-clip on the axle with a little gear oil so it doesn't hang lower than the teeth put it in the house and just shove it in

100_2048.jpg

And now just everything in reverse order, and make sure to top the the rear end of any lost gear oil

This takes about 10-15min to change 20-25min with pictures :d

If you here about Grizzly axle walking out this it the little culprit, just rebend and put the axle back in

100_2054.jpg

All this was done on an 02 Grizzly the 03-07 are a little different but the same concept

Last edited:

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
good post Murray. but it is missing something...... oh i know. you didnt post how much blood and broken bones us un-mechanically inclined guys should expect. as well could we get a list of which swears to use and approriate times. and if possible i need to know tongue position, it is very important to correct reinstallation. lol

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
No swears, somewhat mechanically inclined, one scraped knuckle....but that was from taking the fill nut off the front axle to check and top it up :d

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great post Murm. Very well done. Had to change cv joint on 07 grizz that had 230 km on it, cut boot.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job on your presentation and all the photos it might help me in the futur hehe i have a Grizz also 2003

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good post. Great example of a job most people are afraid of but isn't too bad once you just get in there and get after it! Thanks Murminator!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
good post Murray. but it is missing something...... oh i know. you didnt post how much blood and broken bones us un-mechanically inclined guys should expect. as well could we get a list of which swears to use and approriate times. and if possible i need to know tongue position, it is very important to correct reinstallation. lol

"you gotta hold your tongue just right":p:eek::underweathemsn:
I'm sure I would have thrown at least one wrench also.

Very good post Murminator

Tbaz

Reaction score
i got an axle for a rear left 07 700 grizz.
i looked at this post and am going to tackle my self w/o any experience. Any advise besides where not to throw my wrenches.

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you had much trouble with your axels popping out. I just had the same thing happen to me on May Long out by prarie creek. left rear popped out. I tapped it back in a nursed it home. ruined my ride cause I wasnt sure if it would be worse down the trail. I should just have to replace the clip. I read on GrizzlyOwners.com that there is an upgraded yamaha clip you can get. Sounds like an easy fix.

grizzlydave

Reaction score
The rear axles pooping out is a common problem, some guys like to stretch out the clip that holds the inner joint into the diff, If it happens regularly you can buy the gorilla axle clips. the gorilla clips are made of square wire so the edge holds into the side gear way better, so good sometimes you can`t even get them out.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow old post but good info. If you can get the new clips from gorilla. Cures the issue with axles popping out. I tried to buy them right from gorilla. They were about 40 bucks with shipping. Rapid revolutions had them in stock for 5.

Megrizzly

Reaction score
Only the 660's have problems with axles popping out of the diff. Haven't read or heard of any on the newer ones popping.

Great in depth explanation and pictures sure help a lot.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Jeebus think I have had that axle out about 4-5 since that as recent as the last campout to change the boot

Top Bottom