Grizzly 700 displays a big "E"

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I accidentally left my key on last weekend with the lights on for a few hours and the battery went dead. After I boosted last night, I was able to start it but the display just shows a big E and nothing else. After doing some searching I found that this is a common probelm on the Grizzlies 2009 and older. Apparently it's caused by turning the key on when the battery voltage is too low and the fix is to replace the pod. WTF???

Has anyone had this issue? Were you able to get your dealer to fix for free on an out-of-warranty bike?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crap! Looks like there's no one to blame but myself. Boosting with another ATV is OK, boosting with your truck will fry the pod ...or so the dealer says. However, I'm not sure I get it since the voltage is basically the same and the current is just a function of voltage and the circuit it's being applied to. If the circuit doesn't drop the voltage of the ATV battery, that means that it doesn't draw more current than the battery can deliver. ...so why would it draw more current from my truck's electrical system when it is the same voltage? :confused:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
It's stupid that it would wreck something when 12 v is 12 v I don't know but it's stupid to make a quad that doesn't have a recoil start in the first place. Crappy luck Dean Would chris be able to help you out @ red deer Powersports ?

Sent from Trashy's phone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's stupid that it would wreck something when 12 v is 12 v I don't know but it's stupid to make a quad that doesn't have a recoil start in the first place. Crappy luck Dean Would chris be able to help you out @ red deer Powersports ?

Cripes man, I just had to buy a whack of shhhtuff after a rollover, that blasted computer, and two roasted rims from a trip to Ruby Falls. I wish I would have thought of calling Chris before I dropped all that cash. ...close to $2k later from one week worth of damages, this is putting a serious damper on my plans to learn something about sledding this coming season.

Coldone

Reaction score
Holy Jeez man... ya couple weeks of crap luck there!! although the roll over looked cool.. What kinda price tag are they looking at for Pod?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy Jeez man... ya couple weeks of crap luck there!! although the roll over looked cool.. What kinda price tag are they looking at for Pod?

I don't recall exactly, but it was roughly $550 through the stealership.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy cow. Call him. He might help ya out

send me the list always ready to give a guy a break....

T

Thanks guys, but it's too late. The parts are all already paid for, picked up, and mostly installed. Only thing left is the pod and rims which arrived yesterday and will be installed tonight. My fault - I should have been more patient and tried to save myself some $$$ but I rushed trying to make sure that I didn't have too much downtime. ...I started to panick once both machines were down.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That brutal luck Dean.. Hopefully your luck gets better! Thanks for telling us about boosting with a car/truck it will save me from doing the same.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That brutal luck Dean.. Hopefully your luck gets better! Thanks for telling us about boosting with a car/truck it will save me from doing the same.

Actaully, I was talking with a service tech yesterday trying to figure out if I can program the new unit's hour meter and odometer (which you can't do on the Yammies by the way). I asked him if it was OK to boost from another quad. His response was that you "SHOULD" be able to but at your own risk and mentioned that he would never boost his own machine unless it was an absolute emergency - always try to slow charge it if you have the option.

Coldone

Reaction score
leads me to question.. I found after soaking down my Grizz two weeks ago and leaving it to dry.. the battery was dead the next morning.. I tossed my slow charger onto it and left it for a couple hours and she fired up perfectly.. lucky I didn't boost it.. oh ya the question.. what killed the battery??

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
leads me to question.. I found after soaking down my Grizz two weeks ago and leaving it to dry.. the battery was dead the next morning.. I tossed my slow charger onto it and left it for a couple hours and she fired up perfectly.. lucky I didn't boost it.. oh ya the question.. what killed the battery??

I left the key (and headlights) on.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Slow charging is always the best option, but I'm impatient so i tend to boost my grizz with the big shop charger set at 240 amp start mode. Never had a problem yet. Lights get awful bright tho when doing that lol.

Sent from my old skool iPhone 3G

ROBO

Reaction score
Was the charging vehicle turned on? I was told to boost when the unit charging is shut off to avoid any surging problems.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might the solution be to remove the positive cable off, charge the battery for a few minutes and then reattach the cable and start the quad( hind sight is always 20/20). I don't have a pull starter either so it is good to know not to try to jump start a quad with the truck. Sorry you had to teach us the hard way.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont believe boosting with your vehicle is an issue. Crossing cables maybe but I cant see how boosting can fry it.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's been a few guys have this happen to, its something in the 09 and up pods, if the battery goes dead (think with the key on) the pod goes out. Probably some kind of resistor or something in it, Know my 07 it didn't do it but been alot of guys on the newer ones having to replace them.

Top Bottom