grizzly 660

murrhunts

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just bought a 2004 grizzly 660. Today I was out riding with a buddy and I went up a hill, not a hill climb, but it did have some climb to it. If that makes sense. Well when I got to the top, the engine just bogged out, I had it wide open at the top of the hill and it was just chocking out.

There was nothing there, the front came up a little and started going back, so I bailed.

anyone have any idea what the problem might be? thanks for the help

murrhunts

Reaction score
Do you have any idea where I would do this, is it under the tank cover? And if it is not venting would it do this on the flat? thanks for your help

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many of the '04s came from the factory with an incorrect carb float level, which typically cause the problem you described. Check the float level.

murrhunts

Reaction score
would you happen to know what that is suppose to be set at? A mechanic at work said there should be a setting after that screw is turned all the way in how far it should be turned out. thanks for the help.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would you happen to know what that is suppose to be set at? A mechanic at work said there should be a setting after that screw is turned all the way in how far it should be turned out. thanks for the help.

Float level is adjusted by a tab on the float itself. Bend the tad so the float level is at the gasket between the float bowl and carb body. 1mm either way makes a difference, so make sure it is right at the gasket.

The screw the mechanic is referring to is the idle mixture screw which is 2-1/4 turns out from lightly seated.

While your in the float bowl, I suggest you check the main jet size. For 3000 feet a 48.8 works well. If you going to use the machine in the winter change the starter jet to a 70.

murrhunts

Reaction score
thanks for the help, it is pouring outside from this hurricane coming up the coast, but I'll give it a shot tommorrow.

Top Bottom