Grizzly 660 Snorkel

ChrisG

Reaction score
Hey all, i am in the process of snorkelling my 660. I have the intake ran in 2". I came off the side of the airbox and am running vac hose. Belt intake is beside the engine air intake. I havent figured out how to run the belt exhaust yet but will get there soon. My questions are this: Does the engine get to hot to run the 2" vac hose within a half inch of it at the shifter knob? and also, is running an 1-1/2" line for the belt intake and exhaust to small? My worry with having a smaller than stock intake the belt may get a little to hot on those sunny days. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did my Rhino 700. Two 1 1/2" pipes ran just for engine air box. 1 1/2" in and out of belt drive.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1.5" should be plenty for the belt drive - you'll fnd it doesn't move that much air. It was probably a wise choice to go 2" on the air box though. I can't say for sure, but 1/2" from the engine seems like a bad idea unless you wrap it in heat tape or use a material that can withstand the heat. Some kits come with marine exhaust hose or radiator hose - I found it to be too rigid and ended up using vac hose, which was OK for me since I was able to rout it far enough from the engine.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Reaction score
Well, I finally got er finished. I ran a 2" hose out the side of my airbox. I sealed up that connection with butyl as it doesn't dry out and crack like silicon. The belt intake was pretty easy. The exhaust I ran underneath the engine/belt housing. I figured if the belt housing doesnt melt from the heat of the engine then neither will the hose. There was one point that I had to heat up and ovalize the pipe to male it fit around the frame underneath. Quad runs excellent on just one 2" pipe. I had her up to 96kph this aft and no backfiring when I let of the throttle. Now all I have to do is the vents for the diffs and tranny.

ChrisG

Reaction score
Ok so i had some time to test the snorkel out. There is a pond behind my place that is about 3' deep. Went through twice with no issues. Checked the air box and it is dry. Third time i went through it bogged down and died. Winched the quad out with the inlaws 420 and brought her back to the shop and took her apart. Airbox is bone dry so i pulled the plug and turned her over to get rid of the water. Stood her up and drained the water out of the exhaust. Plug back in and she fired up. Now my question is, why would it die if airbox is not wet? maybe electrical? Could it be water got around the spark plug and shorted the spark out? Oil shows no water in it but im going to drop it tomorow. Any input would be great.
BTW it feels pretty unnerving having water coming over your rack and still pushing through.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you took water in through your exhaust. I have never stalled out becuase of that before, but sometimes when I let off the throttle, I can feel the quad starting to die. I think the 2 keys to not taking water in through the exhaust is to keep the RPM's up and to avoid letting your engine brake kick in. ...I read somewhere that under the right circumstances, the engine braking will cause negative pressure.

ChrisG

Reaction score
When it died i was on the throttle so i dont think thats it. I read on another post you have to re-route the tube out of the top part of the carb that tees into 2 lines up higher or i might suck water into there. I did that now, but now i am having issues with sputtering and backfiring. No black smoke or anything out the pipe. Just sputtering and loss of power. could the float bowl need to be drained? i tried to loosen the screw but it wants to strip so havent yet.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
When it died i was on the throttle so i dont think thats it. I read on another post you have to re-route the tube out of the top part of the carb that tees into 2 lines up higher or i might suck water into there. I did that now, but now i am having issues with sputtering and backfiring. No black smoke or anything out the pipe. Just sputtering and loss of power. could the float bowl need to be drained? i tried to loosen the screw but it wants to strip so havent yet.

yes, if you took on water drain the carb, I would also suggest some seafoam after you get it drained to help get rid of the moisture that could be left behind.

ChrisG

Reaction score
so i drained the carb float bowl and ran some carb cleaner through but it doesnt seem to make a difference. Is there something else i need to clean outon the carb other than just draining the bowl?

XP Braap

Reaction score
When I swamped my grizzly last year it was from the exhaust and low revs. I ended up completely rebuilding my carb to clean out the jets, floats, and bowl. If you were in dirty water it could be a plugged jet. I snorkeled mine last spring and works great, all vents including carb follow the drive belt vent up. You can plug one side of the carb and just run one vent. Hope this helps.

XP Braap

Reaction score
Thought I would also add that I ran full 2" on belt and dual 2" on the intake

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 98

ChrisG

Reaction score
Well, after draining the bowl and running some carb cleaner through it's still sputtering. I think it may be a plugged jet because when I spray a shot of carb cleaner in she just revs right up. I will tear it apart tomorow and give her a good clean.

XP Braap

Reaction score
It's a real pain to work on the carb on these grizzlies. I get a small set of vise grips to break the carb bowl screws loose. Hope you get it figured out.

ChrisG

Reaction score
I pulled off the carb bowl and removed both jets. Main jet was just about plugged right off. I cleaned both jets and put it all back together and it runs great again. If it happens again it shouldn't take more than an hour, not that I plan in drowning her again. Thanks for all the input.

Mikehinthehouse

Reaction score
Hey all, i am in the process of snorkelling my 660. I have the intake ran in 2". I came off the side of the airbox and am running vac hose. Belt intake is beside the engine air intake. I havent figured out how to run the belt exhaust yet but will get there soon. My questions are this: Does the engine get to hot to run the 2" vac hose within a half inch of it at the shifter knob? and also, is running an 1-1/2" line for the belt intake and exhaust to small? My worry with having a smaller than stock intake the belt may get a little to hot on those sunny days. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I know this is an old thread, but can you post pics of the elbow out the side? I am about to do mine as well.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but can you post pics of the elbow out the side? I am about to do mine as well.

Check out mud in my blood.com they had a parts list for the snorkels for my brute force. They might have something for a grizzly. And if your building your own if I where you I would use the white plastic piping that you can buy, the elbows are so much nicer then the black ones. Just paint them after with black paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom