Grip heater elements

Spector

Reaction score
Can some one confirm my suspicions?
Grips didn't seem very warm or uniform to me on my ride on the weekend. First ride on the machine, new to me this year. (08 Summit X).

I happen to have an infrared camera for work and I looked at the elements and it appears that only about half of the trace wires are getting hot.

I did a little digging and I think the machine has the wrong heaters installed. There is a different part number for the X package.

From what I can tell in the manual the wire colors to the connector should be BR - YL/BK (two wire). Mine currently is three wires at the element BK - OR - OR/VI

Anyone out there who can confirm this before I order new ones?

Attachments

• IR_1955.jpg
    IR_1955.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 123

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hand warmer part numbers are all the same. They used to have two different from left to right but now there's just one number. On the x package you actually cut one of the wires on each element. O can't remember off hand but I believe it's the orange violet you cut. Also do you have corks under your elements? And on x models the elements don't get hot till your revving 3500 rpms.

NotoriousNRB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hand warmer part numbers are all the same. They used to have two different from left to right but now there's just one number. On the x package you actually cut one of the wires on each element. O can't remember off hand but I believe it's the orange violet you cut. Also do you have corks under your elements? And on x models the elements don't get hot till your revving 3500 rpms.

ye i can agree with this. i just finished going through all this research and
ended up ordering new cork, heaters, and grips. i also noticed that they don't
start heating until its all revved up. cruising down the trail is where they work
best.

Spector

Reaction score
Doesn't cutting one of the wires 'kill' half of the heater? :confused:

The part #'s are different on the X and the everest. The X has 9 steps of variable heat, the non X seems to use a low and high setting. I assume one or both elements come on depending on switch position.

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't cutting one of the wires 'kill' half of the heater? :confused:

The part #'s are different on the X and the everest. The X has 9 steps of variable heat, the non X seems to use a low and high setting. I assume one or both elements come on depending on switch position.

On the X's you have a toggle which varies your heat control while the everst has an actual switch which in turn needs two wires hi and low. On the X you just need one power wire and a way to control the heat, like a resistor.

Top Bottom