Gravel truck owners or operators?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently ice road truckers don't know about lockers either lol

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whether you have 385, 425 or 445's on the front the max you can go is 7300kg on the steers and on a tandem it's 17000....on a gravel truck. You cannot get an overweight permit for hauling gravel because its a divisible load. What you really need to figure out is what you weigh on the steering when you pull into the pit and load with a loader. If its only 5500kg you can get up front you're wasting a ton of money replacing big rubber that is giving you no benefit. If you're running offroad in soft conditions they will help you float on top but your steering control will suck. If all you get is 5500 go with 11" rubber, especially if you're running 80% highway or more. If you run 50\50 on/off highway maybe look at 315's that will fit on standard rims. It depends what type of conditions you're running in but take the big boots off if you don't need them.

I'm 4300kg unload on the front and 5500 to 6000kg loaded depending how the loader does his job. I was looking at going to 315s. The truck is off road a lot and I to mud. The front floats but steering control is bad.

Kind

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you can't get more then 6000lbs on the front. Although you are much lighter then my trucks which tare in at 5300-5500 on the front.

I had a 379 daycab standard nose 225" wheelbase and a 15.5ft aluminum box and had no issues getting 7300lbs on the front. I could overload it fairly easy.

Even on my current truck, 389 tri-drive 36"bunk 272" wheelbase 18.5ft box I can get 7000lbs on the front if it's loaded properly.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird. Maybe it's the box or the short wheel base? Tarp is kind of in the way to fill the front right full.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said lbs. I was talking kg. Did you mean kg too?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you can't get more then 6000lbs on the front. Although you are much lighter then my trucks which tare in at 5300-5500 on the front.

I had a 379 daycab standard nose 225" wheelbase and a 15.5ft aluminum box and had no issues getting 7300lbs on the front. I could overload it fairly easy.

Even on my current truck, 389 tri-drive 36"bunk 272" wheelbase 18.5ft box I can get 7000lbs on the front if it's loaded properly.

Yes but can you put two sleds in the box and still be legal?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's weird well what is my problem here... anyone else able to get the Weight on the front axle like that?? 7000kg..

Cummins610

Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread but I'll post here, as a driver that's only ran truck and gooseneck and now going to Class 1 i have a couple questions. What's the best 11r22.5 tire for snow/ice traction and do people still run CBs on the highways or it is all 2way?

I know there's no replacing chaining but running a tread other than these block design Chinese 22.5's must help on the ice, right?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Cb's are a dying breed. Highway truckers just use Bluetooth and those stupid headsets. The only real way to find people who use cb's is farmers and the old boys. I remember when I was young going for rides with my dad and all day/night the cb was lit up with people talking and letting other truckers know what's going on, now when I take the truck out I don't even hear a whisper anymore. And if I did it would probably be something around the lines of "Durka durka durka mohamed jihad".

As for tires, watch ice road truckers. You run the tire that offers the longest tread life, and chain up when you have to, your weight should help you a lot with traction. When I hauled snow we had the big block tread tres, you'll spin if you hammer it, it drive to the conditions accelerate slowly, and stopping on ice in a hurry, sipped tires or not, if you won't have enough room to slow down, the tires won't make a difference.

My $0.02

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farmers don't use CBs, just two ways for modern farms.. Some fertlizer divisions use CB radios to communicate with drivers load instructions, long hauls in the USA are still pretty CB friendly

run two sets of supper bs, gravel dumpster, flat deck machinery hauler, tandem water trailer

we run one truck with wide tires on front and another Hiway truck with the narrows.. Personally I would stay with narrow.. Never seams you ever get over 5500kgs even with a over load, does not seam to transfer enough weight to the front, tandems are always first to overload for us.. And stealing in the winter time is just a hinderenc with wides.. For the few times you sink a bit in softer conditions with narrows don't warrent it for what we do..

Looking for a belly dump tri or tandem gravel hauler.. If anyone has one for sale

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Farmers don't use CBs, just two ways for modern farms.. Some fertlizer divisions use CB radios to communicate with drivers load instructions, long hauls in the USA are still pretty CB friendly

run two sets of supper bs, gravel dumpster, flat deck machinery hauler, tandem water trailer

we run one truck with wide tires on front and another Hiway truck with the narrows.. Personally I would stay with narrow.. Never seams you ever get over 5500kgs even with a over load, does not seam to transfer enough weight to the front, tandems are always first to overload for us.. And stealing in the winter time is just a hinderenc with wides.. For the few times you sink a bit in softer conditions with narrows don't warrent it for what we do..

Looking for a belly dump tri or tandem gravel hauler.. If anyone has one for sale
Coming from a farmer... why spend thousands of dollars for a modern two way system that you pay monthly charges (unless you buy cheap 1 mile range kids toys) when you can run a CB that most every truck has and is free to operate and has multiple channels?

but I guess I'm not a farmer.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
W don't buy cheap and we don't only get a mile, probally 40 mile range in some areas, and we only run one farm a Chanel, never paid a dollar for yearly fees and have a dozen radios..

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread but I'll post here, as a driver that's only ran truck and gooseneck and now going to Class 1 i have a couple questions. What's the best 11r22.5 tire for snow/ice traction and do people still run CBs on the highways or it is all 2way?

I know there's no replacing chaining but running a tread other than these block design Chinese 22.5's must help on the ice, right?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB's are dead, 2 ways are the only way to go if your trucking. Lad1 on the highway will get you most road condition and local BS, all resource roads require 2 way radios.

As for tires, in the winter the compound is very important, if your worried about traction avoid all the china stuff, when it gets cold they get like hockey pucks, slick as hell. A quality brand of tire, Micheline, Bridgestone, Firestone will always give you better traction because of the compounding. As for tread design it all depends on your application. In our area Firestone 835 or Bridgestone 775 are on about 90% of trucks, but that is for logging use, if you want extreme traction get your tires siped, helps for traction and long wear on highway.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cb's are a dying breed. Highway truckers just use Bluetooth and those stupid headsets. The only real way to find people who use cb's is farmers and the old boys. I remember when I was young going for rides with my dad and all day/night the cb was lit up with people talking and letting other truckers know what's going on, now when I take the truck out I don't even hear a whisper anymore. And if I did it would probably be something around the lines of "Durka durka durka mohamed jihad".

As for tires, watch ice road truckers. You run the tire that offers the longest tread life, and chain up when you have to, your weight should help you a lot with traction. When I hauled snow we had the big block tread tres, you'll spin if you hammer it, it drive to the conditions accelerate slowly, and stopping on ice in a hurry, sipped tires or not, if you won't have enough room to slow down, the tires won't make a difference.

My $0.02

If you take any advice from iceroad truckers tv show your not a real trucker. They are idiots and dont have a clue.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's set back.

if its set forward your front bumper will be strait and set back your front bumper will be curved and the tires set back about 12 inches give or take. If you cant get weight on your steering and have a SBA then you either have a very short wheelbase or your box is installed to far back. I run a Pete 378 tridrive with SBA and 268 wheelbase, not gravel hauler but run 8300 on my steering and could get over 9000 if I was allowed.

What year and model of truck do you have? Does it have a sleeper?

Steering axle weight is simple geomitry, how far forward of your drivers is the center of your box? The farther forward the more weight on the steering.

Top Bottom