Gravel supply/ hauling

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna need about 200 tons of gravel (mixture of 3/4 and 2”) in the next few weeks at the farm To start building a pad for a pole shed. Am I better off buying straight from the pit then paying a truck by the hour or just paying the trucking company to supply and deliver? Any experienced people out there that can give some input? Drayton valley area. TIA.

Kind

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna need about 200 tons of gravel (mixture of 3/4 and 2”) in the next few weeks at the farm To start building a pad for a pole shed. Am I better off buying straight from the pit then paying a truck by the hour or just paying the trucking company to supply and deliver? Any experienced people out there that can give some input? Drayton valley area. TIA.

Not sure how the gravel supply companies work down there but here we charge by the ton not the hour.

200 tons is a lot to move if you don’t have a gravel truck of your own. The largest load a gravel truck can haul is 40ish tons and that’s with a super b or tri-drive w/ quad wagon. Depending on how much room there is at the dump site you might need a enddump which is 28-30 tons or a body job which is 12-13ish tons for a tandem or 15-18 tons with a tri-drive.

Or if you have a heavy duty utility trailer of your own for behind your pick up at most you can haul is 4ish tons.

I suggest finding a gravel supply company that has their own pit and get them to deliver. Also make sure their gravel has good fracture and not crazy sandy, other wise you will have a hard time getting compaction.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pay by the ton -delivered to your site. Cheaper and no stress.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price for the product was about 29$ a tone just for the crush at my local pit the last time I was hauling.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Most gravel pits have their own trucks as well. I got about 12 of 2” and 36 of 3/4 a few months ago for about $20 a tonne near Barrhead.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best to find a pit and talk to them, they will give you options for trucking, if you don’t find i have contacts for you

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pit is the best way, for large quantities can get it delivered for the same as pickup price. Obviously would be different if you're a ways from the pit. Last time I checked 3/4" road crush was $22.75/ton. For the 2" you could also look into recycled concrete if there's any near you, generally a bit cheaper and it packs extremely well.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Can only get a truck and pup in so probably 25 tons or so at a load…..I’ll see what the delivered price is from the truckers/pits. Shrek I might take you up on that if I’m not successful locally.

Top Bottom