Grave Flats Staging, Ruby Falls and Southesk Trail

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a common area for quadding with good trails and spectacular vistas. Staging area is approx. 4 to 4-1/2 hrs west and south of Edmonton.

Riding Level: For all levels of riding, There is area's for beginners to advanced riders. Would'nt recommend riding a small quad on the trails though.
Terrain: All different types from level ground to extreme hills that are challanging, lots of water crossings.
Riding Surfaces: Mud, Muskeg, gravel, rocks, creeks, grass, snow, ice
Hazards: Hills, Creeks can be deep, some trails may have been washed out on spring thaw or from heavy rains.
Other Area to see in the area: Grave Flats Tower (Sun set views), and Cardnal River (Box Caynon) Trail.

Directions:
Turn south off of Highway 16 onto Highway 47 (approx. 8km west of Edson)(Towards Robb) Travel south until you see the sign indicating the pavement is going to end; slow way down, the left turn is very sharp. Make a right turn 1.5km past the start of the gravel at Highway 40 (towards Cadomin). Travel west 1km past the bridge goes over the railway tracks. Turn left on to the PR (Pembina River) Road. The road narrows and with tighter corners at kilometer 90. Just past the kilometer 93 marker make a very tight right turn at the 'Y'; this turn is sharper than the average switch-back. Travel west approx. 6kms to staging area (Random camping on both sides of the road with the Cardinal River near the road on the left side. Note: The PR Road is a resource road with logging trucks and Oilfield vehicles use. The PR road is not on most maps but is usually in very good shape for gravel (better than the highway 40 section).

GPS Coordinates:
N 52 52.015
W 116 56.870

The following GPS file contains the following:

1) Waypoint for the Grave Flats Staging Area at the Cardinal River and Rudy Creek confluance.
2) Waypoints for several must see sights. Find the guest book at the Horse Corals
3) Waypoint for Ruby Falls. No motorized travel past the picnic tables! Camp fire rings and tables for warming up lunch. Walk up to the top of the falls for more scenery.
4) Upper Ruby Falls trail. Takes you past Ruby Lakes. Trail is very muddy and challanging for the first few miles after crossing the Cardinal River. One way ride time is about 2 hrs if mud does not slow you down too bad.
5) Lower Ruby Falls trail. Trail is light mud until crossing Ruby Creek. The trail crosses Ruby Creek many times. Ride time is about 1.5 hrs.
6) Southesk Trail. Trail is Stewerted by the Edson ATV Club. Wider Side by Sides may have trouble at the Steel Bridge (south fork of Chimney Creek). One way ride time is approx. 3 hrs. Head north from Horse coral and follow Neilson Creek to make a loop back. I'll post the GPS data for the Neilson/Chimney creek legs at a later date.

Note: Ruby Falls and the Southesk trail can be done in one day however it is a very long day. I suggest taking 2 days to cover these three trails.

PM me if you want a guide; I only need an excuse to go!

Attachments

• Grave Flats.gpx
    137 KB · Views: 950
J

jmccrack

Garry

We are going to that area Sept 15 never been ther before but I have your GPS info (allthough a GPS is new to me as well) any words of wisdom? Which way in is smoother from Hinton or from Edson?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JMCCrack, see my other post on the ATV forum area. I am doing a guided tour through the area that weekend. Check this post

Smoothest way is from Edson and it also the shortest.

Using the posted directions , the PR (Pembina River) road is good (I usually am able to pull my trailer at +80km/h, slowing for corners). The gravel highway is so-so from the end of the pavement to the PR road; depends on rain and heavy use. The last few kms to the staging area is un-maintained but solid (drive at 20-30 pulling trailer).

I'll be camping within a few hundred yards or right on the GPS point marked as Grave Flats. Dark blue 1996 Chev3500 w/older travel trailer and two 07 scramblers (black); stop in and say high.:)

Other advise:

You will get checked for insurance and registration, but these SRD guys are pretty good guys if you have the paper work.

If your on a one day trip do the Ruby Falls trail(s). Upper trail has challanging muds holes and muskeg near the road end but is good going otherwise. Lower trailer (along Ruby Creek) is rougher (large rocks) and lots of creek crossings. Last part of the tail into the falls hold left around the holes after the 90 degree left; one of those holes is handle bar deep if it is full of water. Both trails are 14kms each way, so take your time and enjoy the scenery.

If on a two or more days trip then check out the Southesk Trail (Edson ATV Club stewards this trail). Watch the hill up right after the sign and then the hill down a couple of miles later. Hills will get you in trouble if you crest over them at 40mph. At the old cabin (1900-1910 vintage) with the chimney still standing; stop and walk around the bush. About 11 miles(??) after the trail head sign you'll suddenly come to an area with a must stop view of the mountains and of the Big Horn Range. One to 1.5 miles past that point you'll come into a meadow; to the left and across the creek is a old outfitters camp, find the white box in a tree and read the book and add your comments. Going over the hill to the right of where you entered the meadow is a trail that travels northeast; follow this trail (not on the GPS data I posted earlier), it will take you back to the old cabin with the chimney.

If you around the area at sunset and the wife is with you and the sky is clear, turn right off the road where the upper Ruby Falls trail turns left off the road. Follow this road to the sharp right just above tree line. Check out the sun set (think brownie point with the wife). You can drive an ATV or pick up to this point.

A mandatory piece of equipment for the above three suggestions is a good camera with room for 50 to 150 photos.

You are welcome to join us for that ride. Post a response in the forum thread if you want the guided tour.:)

FoxxyS

Reaction score
New to this site yesterday... Not sure about navigating yet.. I have heard GREAT things about this ride ( the Ruby Falls one) and am curious, how many Km of gravel is it total till the staging area??
FoxxyS

Top Bottom