GPS - what should I get for under $300.00

subzero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new to quadding and just want something to mark the trail as I'm riding and be able to get back home.
What make and model would you buy and where to buy it ?

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any magellan or garmin will work. Im investing in the garmin Rino 530. two way radio, gps in one. if you and your buddies all have them, you can see where each person is and talk to them. good for us sledders and for hunting

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
garmin is the way to go, lots of accessories and mounts, software etc. magellan not so much.
rhino 520-530 nice units.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin gpsmap 60csx are a great unit I think Costco has them now for 200.00
For what ever kind you get ram mounts are the best mount system

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Magellan® eXplorist® 310 Handheld is 199 at basspro calgary. It has the world maps installed. So what that means is every darn puddle and most roads in your area on on it. As well it comes with a disk so it will be installed on your computer to interface with the gps for planning routes. I am sure there is videos on useage. Of coarse if you had 400 dollars you could get the magellan 610 with very detailed topo maps of canada. So this means you do not have to mark any trails just ride with the 310 or 610

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Magellan® eXplorist® 310 Handheld is 199 at basspro calgary. It has the world maps installed. So what that means is every darn puddle and most roads in your area on on it. As well it comes with a disk so it will be installed on your computer to interface with the gps for planning routes. I am sure there is videos on useage. Of coarse if you had 400 dollars you could get the magellan 610 with very detailed topo maps of canada. So this means you do not have to mark any trails just ride with the 310 or 610

unless there mapping has gotten better, good luck.:beer:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had both garmins maps and magellans maps side X side when we where out sledding. Magellans looked better. Of coarse the 610 topo is not out quite yet. But the mapping on it looks equivant to those expensive ones you have to buy from maptown. I have own 3 garmins and 2 magellan gps's.

TB800

Reaction score
Garmin Nuvi 550 motorcycle 219.95 gpscity.ca in calgary. order the ram mount and 33.95. I use this on my quad and Ranger. Works great. Gpscity.ca is great to deal with and ships quick when in stock.

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new to quadding and just want something to mark the trail as I'm riding and be able to get back home.
What make and model would you buy and where to buy it ?

Can't go wrong with a 530, but you won't touch one for $300.
Great for a group when you're sledding to keep in touch and find one another.

If you're just getting started, I've got a Garmin 76 compete with quad mount, 12v power cord, original box and manuals. They have landmarks that that don't even exist any more, ie: small villages w/elevators etc.
Rail lines everywhere as well - $75.00 and if you're in no huge hurry, I can likely have it delivered to B'vill for you.

Andoo

Respected Military Member
Reaction score
Garmin Nuvi 550 motorcycle 219.95 gpscity.ca in calgary. order the ram mount and 33.95. I use this on my quad and Ranger. Works great. Gpscity.ca is great to deal with and ships quick when in stock.

Same here but i got it from gpscentral.com. MRSP is $299 :d

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the garmin 60crx and it will get you home and you can download all your trips and see where you were relative to google earth it is really cool. London drugs has them on special every so often.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had my Garmin 60cxs for a few years now and it's racked up about 10,000 miles on the handlebars of my Grizz and Kodiak so I give it an excellent review for reliability. Always has good reception even in trees as long as you had a good signal before going in. Tough to get it if you turn it on under cover but that's expected. Only issue I had was fixed with a firmware update done online - once in a while it would shut off but only in the same spot on the same trail - every time. Thought it was something magnetic in the ground! Been 100% ever since. Think they're down to about $240 in Calgary now, big drop from the $500 I paid.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call gps city in calgary, or online. they seem to have the best prices in canada.
garmin 60csx is 219.95
etrex hcx is 189.95
rhino 520hcx is 299.95
all are good units, mapping is good. :beer:

tas

Reaction score
Garmin gpsmap 60csx are a great unit I think Costco has them now for 200.00
For what ever kind you get ram mounts are the best mount system

Cabelas Canada is also advertising them for undr $300.00 The local sawmills are now uing them for block lay out etc. as they are easy to use and computer friendly!

Top Bottom