GPS Question

NedHead

Reaction score
Hey All,

So, I am thinking it is time for a gps. Can anyone give me any advice or share their experiences with units they have bought? Aside from the standard north american maps and speech capabilties I would like to be able to use it to map out the trail systems at areas where I like to ride so I can create my own maps of Vega, Cold Lake etc... Has anyone done this with theirs?

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a magellan..lesson lernt here is buy a garmin.cant even get a car adaptor for a magellan in edmonton.garmin...parts and accessories everywhere.go with the garmin..im gonna next:beer:

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I second Gforces oppinon... I recently recieved a Magellan for a B-Day gift and the first trip out lost it. The Magellan accesories are tough to get unless you order online.Canadian tire and London drugs are the only ones that i had found carried them. The garmin is the way to go... The map software is second to none. There is a oil tracks software out that has a great majority of the trails and cutlines throughout alberta and has regular updates. The garmin is carried all over the place and most used GPS that i have seen.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Have a real close look at the Garmin Colarado 300. IMO they are the most user friendly gps on the market and are great for mapping. I think I'll be trading my Megelan in for one before next summer.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with a Garmin, using mapsource with TOPO Canada you get all the detail you will ever need for mapping trails.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i found Garmin 76s map the best all round, with uses on the road trail and waterways. Its also waterproof.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be taking a GPS course next week and you get a Garmin eTrex GPS Unit as part of the course fee. Don't know if this is a good unit or not as I am totaly clueless when it comes to GPS units. I have a Garmin Nuvi 250 Navigator in the truck and it is quite simple to use but from what I understand the GPS units are a little more in depth. Should be able to get real lost after the course!!!!lol

Billy Boy:cool:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are into mapping and would like to add a radio you may want to check out the Rhino.There are several versions depending on what you want to spend.I have the 520 which is a very good unit and you can track your buddies as well as your self!
catmando!

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are into mapping and would like to add a radio you may want to check out the Rhino.There are several versions depending on what you want to spend.I have the 520 which is a very good unit and you can track your buddies as well as your self!
catmando!

Thats a REALLY good feature. i can't think of how many times that would of saved time driving around, looking.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thats a REALLY good feature. i can't think of how many times that would of saved time driving around, looking.

That is the feature that sold me on it,a few guys have them on here!
catmando!

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is the feature that sold me on it,a few guys have them on here!
catmando!

Ya the Rhino is awesome but the crew you ride with must also have the same Rhino or the radio and tracking feature wont work, so Im told. This is the reason why I have not bought the Rhino so far until I can convince the guys I ride with to get the same one.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I found that even if your buddies dont have them there are always others up there that do and that would come in handy in an emergency!About half of my budds have them! the other half want them!
catmando!
Battery life is a couple days on the 500 series!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if your buddies don't have them it saves you from having to carry a radio and a GPS in accessable pockets.

Top Bottom