Gorman 2013/14

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow if you like rocks, go here. I won't be heading back for a month, snow is way down. Put first tracks all the way into quartz lake. There was more snow the further back you went. Some decent stuff in the trees. Tons of people out as well, trucks were parking at the pay booth. Pretty good frost layer about 1 ft down in the snow . Mayby someone whom was up today will post done pictures .

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt take any pics. We found holt was probably best. Still lots of landmines though. Def not enough snow around Gorman lake

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not surprised to hear this, drove from Calgary through Golden Revy Kamloops Valemount back to Edmonton over Christmas and the snowpack seemed thin everywhere

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg

7:30 am in golden...

Scittyhep

Reaction score
I've never seen Gorman more windswept then it was today. Do not waste your time.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gorman is all about big alpine ...

alpine is schity ... n a bit scary ...

trees are where its at ...

so maybe quartz has better trees me thunks ...

its early season still people!

be paicent young jedi ....

or go to silent eh?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never seen Gorman more windswept then it was today. Do not waste your time.

This seems to be the new normal at Gorman. It used to be our favourite spot but the last several years the wind has been stripping the place.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in Gorman today. Def wind blown all over. Lots of good snow to be had on the tress though. There was a big slide in holt that some sleder must of triggered the day before. Make smart choices on terrain people!! Hope he made out ok. All In all had a blast.

Hydro

Reaction score
Was up to Gorman Lake and into Holt on Sunday the 19th. First time up that way. The trail in was well groomed and not whooped out; nice for a change. Trail up into Gorman is definitely not for beginners, nor is the shot up and over into Holt. Did see the slide that Chump was referring to. Very large, south facing slope. Estimate it at a level 3+ avalanche. Stayed off the high-angle slopes and away from the guys hi-marking the south facing slopes (not the smartest)... Had a good time. Can't wait to see what it's like back there with 2 feet of fresh snow.

Looked to me as though many of the upper, high-angle slopes haven't let go yet either. Keep your head up.

Hydro

Reaction score
Anybody up to Gorman in the past fee days. We're heading up there tomorrow and just want an idea if we should truck it to quartz. Obviously not much snow anywhere, but just wanna know if there is enough snow on the trail to punch over to Holt or Lang. Thanks for the info!

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were there yesterday seen tracks going over the ridge but very lean with ice under the top layer in spots

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No worries, rode silent pass today and I think were going to try a place south of golden a bit one of the guys in our group knows some other areas that we might find better snow? Were at mount 7 and its snowing :D lighty but still snowing so I hope to see snow on the sleds when we wake up tomorrow

Hydro

Reaction score
Lucky guys! Unfortunately my next available weekend isn't till the end of February. Going skiing in Whitefish next weekend, then off to Bonaire to go Scuba Diving from the 13th to 22nd.

We were up at the hill today. Bluebird all day. Holt is tracked and packed. Lang is a little thin at the pass, but not so thin that you can't get through. Had a lot of fun in Lang climbing pretty much everything we looked at. The snow in Lang isn't totally tracked out and still managed to find some deepish snow. Enough to force a turn out at the top.

Quite a few of the avy's have let go, however there are still some lurking, just waiting for another dump.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was up to Gorman Lake and into Holt on Sunday the 19th. First time up that way. The trail in was well groomed and not whooped out; nice for a change. Trail up into Gorman is definitely not for beginners, nor is the shot up and over into Holt. Did see the slide that Chump was referring to. Very large, south facing slope. Estimate it at a level 3+ avalanche. Stayed off the high-angle slopes and away from the guys hi-marking the south facing slopes (not the smartest)... Had a good time. Can't wait to see what it's like back there with 2 feet of fresh snow.

Looked to me as though many of the upper, high-angle slopes haven't let go yet either. Keep your head up.

Is this where you are talking about Gorman up and over to Holt?? wtf it wont let me post search youtube "Climbing to Upper Holt" hes on a bike

Top Bottom