Good Tires

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the opinions are on tires. There is a dizzying array of ATV tire out there. I Just bought my 1999 AC 500 4x4 w/ plow in the fall of 2010 and found them pretty well useless on hard packed snow and ice (I do need chains for plowin) However they are the stock tires and, as everyone knows the late 90's and early 2000 AC's didnt have the nicest steering, and this machine is no different.

Anyways, have been out of the ATV market for a bit over a decade and the tire choices are quite daunting. Summer riding will be I would say 85% hard packed trail with the rest being mud. I do not intend on going deep in the mud but sometimes it happens...lol The machine is old and I don't want to push it too hard this summer until I know it's going to be reliable.

So to sum up I would like to know what the opinion of a good overall trail tire that won't plug up and become a donut in the mud too badly. I want to remain close to the stock size as well!

Thanks in advance for all the help....

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always liked mudbugs

That's my vote

Sent from my pimpin iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I like the TSL super swamper vampires. I got them on my Honda 350 (rancher) with around 2500k on them so far. The fronts are showing some wear due to the fact it's a full time 4x4 system. I find them smooth riding on hard pack, got the traction in the mud. They are a heavier tire with stiff sidewalk so ride is compromised a bit there. Nice thing is tho if u do get a flat they stay round and ur not sitting on the rim, so u can still ride it out if need be that way.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First choice: Zillas (not Mudzillas....Zillas), second choice: Mudbugs. I'd run 27's...your 500 will turn 'em no problem.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First choice: Zillas (not Mudzillas....Zillas), second choice: Mudbugs. I'd run 27's...your 500 will turn 'em no problem.

Thanks for the note, the only reason I kinda want to remain stock size is because I will be doubling and don't want to push the centre of gravity too far north...Oh and budget...hahaha, and yeah I know my old beast will have the power to spin larger tires, it plows snow...:)LOL

Kruchy

Reaction score
How about bighorn radials? I need something to tame down the front end of my king quad.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swamp Lites are a pretty good choice for what your describing.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since your worried about "donuts" I dont suggest bighorns. I say 'Zilla as well.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bighorn tires are great all purpose units and don't fill with mud as bad as you may think unless it is very thick sticky stuff. Zilla's are a great option as well and they will not fill up at all in any mud, yet they are smooth on the hardpack trails.
Good luck.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bighorn tires are great all purpose units and don't fill with mud as bad as you may think unless it is very thick sticky stuff. Zilla's are a great option as well and they will not fill up at all in any mud, yet they are smooth on the hardpack trails.
Good luck.

Thanks for the note, I am not too worried about ride comfort the old AC's always had a really good ride. You know the Rocky backcountry pretty well, the last time I was out there the trails were getting really rough and I just worry about doubling and having tires that give me a fighting chance with the added weight.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran those on my old 98AC4544x4 and loved them!! They really were good for all the trails I rode on a decade ago.

Im not sure if you were trying to be sarcastic with the "decade ago" part but they are awesome tires. Especially for less powerful machines. Those Zillas will rob you of so much power on a 500 or less

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if you were trying to be sarcastic with the "decade ago" part but they are awesome tires. Especially for less powerful machines. Those Zillas will rob you of so much power on a 500 or less

LOL...no I am not being sarcastic or anything, I have been out of the ATV world for quite awhile. And I do like the Bear Claws!!

blumtn

Reaction score
If you are looking for a light tire then the Zilla is a good choice. I run 27x12x14s all the way around on my 700 Grizz and I run 26x12x12 Bighorns on my 660 Grizz. The Bighorns are a heavier tire. In the snow they both work well but the only problem I have had with my Zillas is when aired down I have to much traction and have lost a bead a couple of times. Not a problem you just have to pump the tire back up and then let the air back out and you are ready to go again. I would suggest you look at 28x12x12 Zillas,they are light enough that you will not lose much power.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote still goes to bearclaws! Light, cheap, and chew like a biotch. Might not be the biggest most aggressive tire but they get the job done for sure.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 26x12x12 Bearclaw is 35 lbs. HEAVY. (edit: see below...this may be innacurate)

A 27x11x12 'Zilla is 24.3 lbs.

Bearclaws are good....but old tech and a heavy tire.

Those Zillas will rob you of so much power on a 500 or less
Sorry...this is just incorrect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom