Good first cruiser

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been looking at different types of cruising motorcycles. I have never had a road bike. I have rode big dirtbikes, quads and sleds for many years. My budget is quite low, only 4-5g. I would like to use the bike around the city a bit, but more for highway use on road trips, eventually carrying the girlfriend as a passenger. I've been looking at a lot of Honda shadow 750's between the years 2004-2008. How is there reliability, and how many km before you need to start doing major maintenance ? Are they comfortable? I am 6'3 230lbs. Anything bigger than a 750, the insurance substantially increases. Let me know your opinions.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally id go out and get what ya want right outa the gate instead of messin around within a couple months to re-sell and upgrade bigger. Most bikes are super reliable now days.

My 06 Harley Night Train is a 1450cc "88ci" and I pay just under $600 a year full coverage...Sport bikes are where it gettin crazy expensive

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 06 Harley Night Train is a 1450cc "88ci" and I pay just under $600 a year full coverage...Sport bikes are where it gettin crazy expensive

In bc, type of bike doesn't matter. It's all down to engine sizing. I pay more for my 1450cc Harley than my buddy does his 600CC crotch rocket. It doesn't make any sense, I can't keep up to him if I tried.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shadow 750 is a really nice bike. My grandma has a 05, and I really like how it handles, and it has good power for me. I'm 5' 10" and 210 lbs.

My dad has a midnight star 1600, and its a fun bike to ride, but too wide for my liking.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally id go out and get what ya want right outa the gate instead of messin around within a couple months to re-sell and upgrade bigger. Most bikes are super reliable now days.

Trains are a sweet bike too cant go wrong with that. My bro is looking for a first bike too and im trying to push him towards something like that or a wide glide...cant go wrong with a Harley :d

abiceman

Reaction score
if your not set on a v twin check out honda valkyrie you can pick up ones out of the states for 6000. with low mileage. I have a 01 with 110000 kms on it and have not had to do anything other than reg oil changes and valve adjustment. and you cant beat the flat 6 for power.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first bike was an 1100 cc Honda shadow Ace, it was low on power but super reliable. I could not wait to get off of it after only 2 hours of riding, I would never buy another cruiser style bike, but that is just my opinion. At 6'3" and 230 a 750 shadow will probably leave you wanting more soon after you buy it.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions guys, I really appreciate it . The more used bikes I look at, the more I see the phrase "good starter bike", "lady driven", "good for a girl" etc in ads for 750's. Perhaps looking at bigger bikes with more km would be better.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a guy that has a 1100 v star. it was lacking when passing if there was a head wind. Go with the biggest cc v twin you can afford,
if your going to use it mostly for highways. You should be able to pick up something cheap this time of year.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your a pretty big boy .if you want to ride on the hiway get a big bike i had a 08 h-d rocker c it was super fun for around town hard to ride very far on the road i now have an electra glide ultra classic and it feels like i can go for ever in a day its just very comfy

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 2002 Yamaha Road Star 1600 for $5900 bucks. Tons of power and nice to ride. Its not a Harley but I didn't pay Harley prices either. Not that I have any problems with Harleys, I just couldn't justify the money of one.

psnider

Reaction score
048.jpg

I pay just under 400 a year for mine full coverage including full replacement loss. Legends insurance for all bikes will beat all rates.

pat84

Reaction score
I started with an 06 night train, it was nice but not exactly what I wanted as far as touring. So in July I got a brand new road glide. I love it! It is so nice to ride on. I can go 320 kms before I even start looking for a gas station, got 45 mpg or better most of the time doing 130 km/hr. I put over 8000 kms on it since july, and 3000 on my night train before I sold it. I am extremely happy with the road glide.

theodus

Reaction score
I am another 40 lbs heavier yet and I started out with a Honda ACE 750. I went on a couple 1000+ km rides, and if the wind was not ridiculous I could maintain 120km/hr without a lot of problems. On one trip back from Regina however, fighting a horrible storm, I could only maintain 110km/hr wide open...when semi's and other big trucks start passing you in (what feels like) a hurricane it can get pretty scary. I sold it a week after I got back and picked up a 1300cc VTX...problem solved.

As far as reliability goes, there was 40,000km on the 750 with no maintenance other than oil and filter...and 22,000km on the VTX under the same maintenance plan. I do agree with a couple others on this post however, I would start with something a little bigger than a 750 unless the primary goal is to cruise around town.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did a 3000km ride with my vstar 1300, 800 suzuki volusia, and a 1900 Raider.. all handled the 120- 140km no worries all with in 2-3.00 on fill up
all comfortable....
the guy with 800 is selling it for 4k ish.... not sure the kms.... its an 04

Terry

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I was a bike mechanic for more than 20 years and came across all types in that time. The Shadow is nice in the city but woefully underpowered at about 35 hp and 500+ lbs. Most cruisers are heavy(wayyy more than the 750 Shadow) and underpowered, handle like tanks, have poor suspension plus have only adequate brakes--in my opinion. There are exceptions of course. The 1300 cc cruisers look nice but are underpowered too. Good luck.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. My budget is quite low, only 4-5g. I would like to use the bike around the city a bit, but more for highway use on road trips, eventually carrying the girlfriend as a passenger.

Dont get a shadow! the shadow is not the bike for you by what im reading. I would recomend something over 1000cc's and NOT chain drive! anyone who says its not a pain in the ass to tighten a chain every 700k either ignores maintence or is full of ch!t (this is for imports i dont have experence on the HD chain drive bikes). You will not find a reliable harley crusier in your budget so dont even kid your self for trying and if you do get one hell of a deal now it will turn into a money pit in the not so far future.

You need -
Over 1000cc (maybe if a 950 v star came up for a good price i would go for it)
NOT chain drive
LOW mileage

This leaves you with a few choices around your price range

V star 1100 ---Great bike, aftermarket is LIMITLESS!!! lots of them around will have the power to cruise and tour (mind you you will not be wanting to go to flordia on this one but the BC coast wont be a problem.

V star 950----Also a good bike belt drive EFI friend rides one hes a bigger guy enjoys it.

Honda VTX ---- might be a bit out of your budget but these are comfy bikes with lots of power and also a really good aftermarket

Road star ----also nice and may be a bit out of your budget. also has a kick ass aftermarket

Suzuki Boulevard S83---- also a great bike good prices on them shaft drive 2 of my riding buddys run these bike and there awesome NIMBLE fast crusers tho i wouldnt want to be the passenger for to long 1400cc shaft drive

shadow 1100----big enough to run on long trips also shaft drive has the honda name

Vulcan 1500---- (what i run) Lots of power big comfy bike will do the BC coast no problem shaft drive easy to work on the only thing with these is you have to be aware of the plastic oil gear that can be stripped on them there is a kit thats easy to install that is a replacement metel gear. i LOVE my vulcan it is set up for the long trips.

Good luck ...I helping a buddy look for the exact same thing you want for the same budget so i hope this helps but what ever you decide try to stay away from chain and if your serious about hitting the road the min displacement i would get is a 1000 also remember if you get something EFI you will have to do a power commander V or something similar if you want to do ANYTHING TO IT pipes air box etc...thats another 700 bill from the dealer.

As far as insurance your guna have to bite the bullet regardless with being a new rider but it does get cheaper and if you get a bike you LOVE riding and go everywhere on it the insurance cost will be worth it compared paying cheaper insurance on a bike you dont want to go anywhere on it because you dont enjoy riding it.

heres a pic of my ride.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/248/show-us-your-bike-14886-31.html its the black vulcan with the faring at the bottom

As far as wanting to go harley dont sweat it my dream bike is a road glide custom but i am only 23 i have lots of time to upgrade and when i do it will be all the sweeter.

happy trails

Last edited:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the input, i really appreciate it. Since i originally started this thread, some things have changed.... and I may be able to spend a bit more on a bike, probably around the 10-12g range (thats if i don't get all excited this winter and buy a new sled). Most likely will be looking to get a bike first thing in the spring. dont plan on buying one now and letting it sit all winter.

Top Bottom