Going to montana

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Chief Joseph pass is quite the deal when towing.

Sent from my iPad using

What was the deal with this way? Going to be trying that way out tomorrow. Last time we were there the park was a bit of a nightmare to get through with all the wildlife and tourists. Hoping this way cuts a lot of time off the trip.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was the deal with this way? Going to be trying that way out tomorrow. Last time we were there the park was a bit of a nightmare to get through with all the wildlife and tourists. Hoping this way cuts a lot of time off the trip.

I've never rode in from the east, but ride with guys who have and they say it might save an hour, tops. Not worth it, IMO. Not to mention if you drive a diesel and the weather gets stupid cold, you may have some starting issues.

Rufer19

Reaction score
I guess it wasn't so bad. But if the weather is nasty like said you could have trouble starting plus if your coming in at night and the roads get icy it's pretty steep and twisty I found. Also the wind can get whipping through that pass so be prepared for that.
I drive an older truck so everything is a little exaggerated I guess but I noticed my brakes were starting to fade and stink by the time we got back down. Took probably 2.5hrs to get through the pass alone, not sure what the time difference would be as compared to driving through the park?

Sent from my iPad using

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are the spots...

What are they like? Only road treed areas 4000-6000 ft last 4 years.

Im actually hoping fresh but not bottomless. Would like to work on my riding on my new pro but not be stuck all the time like i was on my iq. Been told its night and day and my iq was a trencher but im not expecting anything better and if it is night and day, win win for me.

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are the spots...

What are they like? Only road treed areas 4000-6000 ft last 4 years.

Im actually hoping fresh but not bottomless. Would like to work on my riding on my new pro but not be stuck all the time like i was on my iq. Been told its night and day and my iq was a trencher but im not expecting anything better and if it is night and day, win win for me.

Stayed at antlers previously and was great. Staying at alpine now and its okay too. Really anywhere in town is ok.
Dumped an easy foot up top during the day today. Calling for more tonight and tomorrow. Should be real nice if visibility improves.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are going to Montana ( Kalispell) for the weekend for technical backcountry course on Sat/Sun.
We will be heading out Fernie early AM friday and would like to stop in for a couple hour ride in Grave Creek if it not too far off the #93 highway.

Anyone got good directions to Grave Creek staging area and is it worth it if we only ride 2-3 hrs or so. Don't want to stop for just a trail ride...

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are going to Montana ( Kalispell) for the weekend for technical backcountry course on Sat/Sun.
We will be heading out Fernie early AM friday and would like to stop in for a couple hour ride in Grave Creek if it not too far off the #93 highway.

Anyone got good directions to Grave Creek staging area and is it worth it if we only ride 2-3 hrs or so. Don't want to stop for just a trail ride...

Turn at grave creek road. left. There is a sign about 10min south of eureka. The staging area is 15min on that road. It's good tree riding with minimal trail.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turn at grave creek road. left. There is a sign about 10min south of eureka. The staging area is 15min on that road. It's good tree riding with minimal trail.

Are there any other places off the #93 from Eureka to Kalispell that would be better for a short stop-&-ride?

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a lake more south. Don't know name and never been though

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a lake more south. Don't know name and never been though

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

There is one shown south a bit called Olney/Red Meadow and I think it links up to Upper Whitefish Lake sled area. Think we will try Grave Creek..

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is one shown south a bit called Olney/Red Meadow and I think it links up to Upper Whitefish Lake sled area. Think we will try Grave Creek..

Hey, no fair!
Maybe I will stop and ride in..... Taber.
😢😢
See you guys down there!!

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think through Coutts then cross country from Shelby this time. It's the shortest route.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think through Coutts then cross country from Shelby this time. It's the shortest route.

too bad you couldn't come through this way and meet us for quick ride. Anyway we will see you in K @ the S8 asap.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are heading to graves creek from whitefish its a right hand turn onto graves creek rd of highway 93 not left.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our group ended up staying in Missoula and riding Seeley Lake on Friday and Saturday. Snotel jumped 30" in 24 hours. Hit it perfect, 3ft of fluff. Deep enough on the lakes that you couldn't hear your sled running. Saturday, the parking lot was packed. We got out there at 10am and ended up parking a half mile down the road. The crazy part was we found piles of untouched snow within 2 miles of the warming hut.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a good run of a few days in Cooke, minus the very flat light. Left Sat, Interstate from Billings East was pretty ugly for about 3 hours. Had a great time, same 24-30" of snow on Wednesday as mentioned above. By Friday afternoon, everyone and both of their dogs rolled into town.

Attachments

• 20140130_130815.jpg
    20140130_130815.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 97
Top Bottom