Going to eat some crow for this

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That coyote with the ecoboost has my attention as well.

Don’t price it out you’ll loose that attention. Overpriced boats for a very basic boat. I bet they work good as they are pretty much a Bratt and they work good. But for what you get they’re to much money. You can get a way nicer Fish or Bratt for lot less. I see kingfisher is putting the eco boost in the falcon. Hope they will put it in the xd to. I bet they will be using the factory pump not a hammy or AT, will probably help to keep the cost down

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t price it out you’ll loose that attention. Overpriced boats for a very basic boat. I bet they work good as they are pretty much a Bratt and they work good. But for what you get they’re to much money. You can get a way nicer Fish or Bratt for lot less. I see kingfisher is putting the eco boost in the falcon. Hope they will put it in the xd to. I bet they will be using the factory pump not a hammy or AT, will probably help to keep the cost down

They are the same price as all these other smaller boat builders. That EcoBoost matched with the AT 309 looks like it works really well. Problem being is that I'm not sure it's as strong as the XD and with the 309 can it run as skinny?

I couldn't start my 309 in 3ft of water without sucking something up. Custom Weld just built a shallow series with the 309 and ecoboost. I tried reaching out to the guy that had the boat built but haven't heard anything back

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are the same price as all these other smaller boat builders. That EcoBoost matched with the AT 309 looks like it works really well. Problem being is that I'm not sure it's as strong as the XD and with the 309 can it run as skinny?

I couldn't start my 309 in 3ft of water without sucking something up. Custom Weld just built a shallow series with the 309 and ecoboost. I tried reaching out to the guy that had the boat built but haven't heard anything back

I think the 309 is working good with that eco. The reason I said coyote is expensive is they had a boat for sale on special for 107000, it didn’t even have a rear seat. I asked if they were waiting to build the seat to customer liking. I was told it was extra for the seat lol.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the 17 foot Convict with the ECO its a nice package. Swat stay the fk away from the the SJ. After having a V8 you will not be happy. Some of the guys on here for some reason dont think big boats run skinny maybe they just dont know how to run a boat I guess.
I run my boat with smaller boats than mine with Sj engines and I'm able to go where ever they go all the time with little effort. OOOOHHHH know if I get stuck lol .... really its no big deal it will push off like all the rest maybe 4 guys instead of 2 big fkn deal. Ask Neil how many times he's had to push my boat and how hard it was to get off.
The physical length of a 19 foot boat is the only issue I ever had, swinging it around a tight corner having to watch the rear.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the 17 foot Convict with the ECO its a nice package. Swat stay the fk away from the the SJ. After having a V8 you will not be happy. Some of the guys on here for some reason dont think big boats run skinny maybe they just dont know how to run a boat I guess.
I run my boat with smaller boats than mine with Sj engines and I'm able to go where ever they go all the time with little effort. OOOOHHHH know if I get stuck lol .... really its no big deal it will push off like all the rest maybe 4 guys instead of 2 big fkn deal. Ask Neil how many times he's had to push my boat and how hard it was to get off.
The physical length of a 19 foot boat is the only issue I ever had, swinging it around a tight corner having to watch the rear.

What are you running?

And where?

One thing we face here is canyons and bed rock. In the canyon the walls will string almost 45 degrees to the water flow and the rocks are very sharp. I was lucky enough never to tag one but have seen pictures of teflon being cut open.

I need/want a skinny water boat and yes I am leery of the SJ. That's why I'm thinking ecoboost might solve this

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I only seen it a couple times. Only had to winch once. The big boats they work really good. I think 18’ with a nice wide bottom would be the best all around size. Nice and comfy, run shallow with good maneuverability. It will be interesting for me when my sport jet goes to see what I will do. I really like my boat, the way it’s set up is what I want. I can’t afford the 80g for a new boat, so repowering mine would be the route I think I would go. Maybe twin sport jets lol

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you running?

And where?

One thing we face here is canyons and bed rock. In the canyon the walls will string almost 45 degrees to the water flow and the rocks are very sharp. I was lucky enough never to tag one but have seen pictures of teflon being cut open.

I need/want a skinny water boat and yes I am leery of the SJ. That's why I'm thinking ecoboost might solve this

Any boat built in Alberta or BC will be the strongest out there, Firefish, Bratt, outlaw, will all have heavy bottoms as well as the extreme duty. Check out kijiji right now Windser Motorsports has a few Convicts for sale with ECO engines. You will not find a better skinny water boat than that. I have driven one with the eco, it will go anywhere and tough as nails.
I run a 2019 Firefish 19 foot hammerhead. But am building a 17 foot Convict with a 6.2 liter DI with hammy pump.

Attachments

• IMG_4033.JPG
    IMG_4033.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 2019 firefish new pic.jpg
    2019 firefish new pic.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 121

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some think running a boat around on shallow pee gravel channels is doing something? Lol
Get out in the big boulders running shallow in fast water when you need to run slower and stay on step .
Can the heavier boats do it ? You bet but it’s going to get very expensive and can hurt .
I think some of us are talking to different styles of boating ?
Myself ? I just can’t imagine wrecking a $100000 plus boat to prove something and possibly hurt someone .
Pick what suits your needs but let that eco prove itself first .
Stay with something proven . IMO

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some think running a boat around on shallow pee gravel channels is doing something? Lol
Get out in the big boulders running shallow in fast water when you need to run slower and stay on step .
Can the heavier boats do it ? You bet but it’s going to get very expensive and can hurt .
Myself ? I just can’t imagine wrecking a $100000 plus boat to prove something and possibly hurt someone .

Pee gravel lol. Run up the brazz some time and let me know what you find." Pick what suits your needs but let that eco prove itself first " like the SJ has lol? Also 5 year warranty on the Eco.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pee gravel lol. Run up the brazz some time and let me know what you find." Pick what suits your needs but let that eco prove itself first " like the SJ has lol? Also 5 year warranty on the Eco.

Legit played pin ball will my boat and big rocks. I was crying a bit lol. Thank god there isn’t gravel up there or I would of got stuck! I stopped in 4” of water and was able to keep going lol. Uhmw is a great thing

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think so also Ross. I think the difference is the type of water or terrain we’re talking about. Go thru a couple $25-$30 k repair bills or insurance claims and the difference will become more clear. Sliding across pea gravel isn’t gonna hurt the boat , and that’s fine if those are the rivers you travel. . 15-16 ft , light and tough is gonna bounce off more sharp **** than 18 ft, heavier and tough , with less damage. Hope the eco works , but me , I think it’s gonna be more suited for where we go now with V8’s , not SJ’s.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder if king fisher will put a EcoBoost in a XD?

They’re putting them in the falcons. I seen a add. I bet they will but use the factory pump not a hammy or AT. Kingfisher is cookie cutter boats so a kit is easier to put in I would think. Bet that eco will work even better with the pump that was made for it.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not trying to start a dick swinging thing with you chris, But, we’ve seen your videos of the Brazeau and it looks like a fun river, but in your videos i’ve Seen lots of shallow and skinny running across pea gravel and beaver dam stuff, none of it really gonna hurt the boat. Would love to see the big pointy rocks videos. . Everyone has their own idea of fun , and i’m Not suggesting i’m Any better or worse than anyone else, but I would suggest you maybe bring your boat up here in August or Sept and we’ll take a trip up to the end of the Wapiti or maybe to the lower Kakwa falls, or the Narroway, where we have been many times. Getting stuck is the least of your worries. Anyway, as I said , I hope the eco boost works great for everyone. Certainly will be easier to listen to. And i’ll Dig my hole a bit deeper for you Chris, your SJ experience wasn’t optimum. I told you when you were gonna buy that boat it didn’t work well, it’s the perfect example of a big boat pretending to be a little boat . The 17 piranha never did work well, as a little or big boat, it was the worst of both . The 16 works better but still way to heavy to do what it’s supposed to do. Even the 1775 XD is getting to the top end of size and weight for the SJ, it’s advantage is a way better Hull design than the FF.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start a dick swinging thing with you chris, But, we’ve seen your videos of the Brazeau and it looks like a fun river, but in your videos i’ve Seen lots of shallow and skinny running across pea gravel and beaver dam stuff, none of it really gonna hurt the boat. Would love to see the big pointy rocks videos. . Everyone has their own idea of fun , and i’m Not suggesting i’m Any better or worse than anyone else, but I would suggest you maybe bring your boat up here in August or Sept and we’ll take a trip up to the end of the Wapiti or maybe to the lower Kakwa falls, or the Narroway, where we have been many times. Getting stuck is the least of your worries. Anyway, as I said , I hope the eco boost works great for everyone. Certainly will be easier to listen to. And i’ll Dig my hole a bit deeper for you Chris, your SJ experience wasn’t optimum. I told you when you were gonna buy that boat it didn’t work well, it’s the perfect example of a big boat pretending to be a little boat . The 17 piranha never did work well, as a little or big boat, it was the worst of both . The 16 works better but still way to heavy to do what it’s supposed to do. Even the 1775 XD is getting to the top end of size and weight for the SJ, it’s advantage is a way better Hull design than the FF.
The issue with my boat wasn't the under powered problem and the engine only let me down once cuz of a fuel pump ****ting the bed. I was the hundreds of people with continuous issues and them blowing up !! In the one year I owned one everyone had some sort of issue with there sport jet and that was all i needed to see lol. My choice to run Firefish boats is because I think you get what you pay for some what and I like nice toys.... I build nice toys. I boat with 2 Extreme duties and do think they work well but come on lets face it 80k for what ????? the most plain interior bare boned boat on the market. Picking up a used one for 40k to smash around ok I get it. For the record there was not one place that my Pirahna would not go that a XD would.

"Chris, your SJ experience wasn’t optimum" Has anyone ever had an Optimum experience with a SJ HAHA ?

I guess we never have the camera out when we hit the big rocks right Neil ?? pretty sure we all went down the same nasty channel and hit like 5 big rocks so yes we have big rocks up this way. Maybe you guys just cant fkn drive ?? I better head north this summer I guess.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The issue with my boat wasn't the under powered problem and the engine only let me down once cuz of a fuel pump ****ting the bed. I was the hundreds of people with continuous issues and them blowing up !! In the one year I owned one everyone had some sort of issue with there sport jet and that was all i needed to see lol. My choice to run Firefish boats is because I think you get what you pay for some what and I like nice toys.... I build nice toys. I boat with 2 Extreme duties and do think they work well but come on lets face it 80k for what ????? the most plain interior bare boned boat on the market. Picking up a used one for 40k to smash around ok I get it. For the record there was not one place that my Pirahna would not go that a XD would.

"Chris, your SJ experience wasn’t optimum" Has anyone ever had an Optimum experience with a SJ HAHA ?

I guess we never have the camera out when we hit the big rocks right Neil ?? pretty sure we all went down the same nasty channel and hit like 5 big rocks so yes we have big rocks up this way. Maybe you guys just cant fkn drive ?? I better head north this summer I guess.

Yeah , that could be Chris. , maybe we can learn from you. You’ve been invited . Best is Late August early September, water is cleaner ����

PS , we saw first hand the performance of that piranha before you bought it , that’s what I told you when you asked. The XD is a far superior boat in pretty well every aspect of performance , except pretty. If pretty is your main priority, that’s great. Hopefully the convict will work well .

Last edited:
Top Bottom