globar star

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had this posted before in general bs but global star had promised full service starting this september.
I have heard this load of bs for about 2 years now but they guaranteed me that there sat phones would work 24 hours a day.
Now the new BS from them is that they had a 20million dollar sattelite blow up which is why service is so intermitent now.
Wow I have also heard this for a few years now.Probably just going to cancel, getting tired of being lied to year after year.
Does anybody have one that actually works?

Powder hound

Reaction score
The only sat phone that work is Iridium. I had a Global Star and cancelled it, got tired of the stories just like you are experiencing. I bought my Iridium from Communications Group in Edmonton.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a new brand called Inmarsat that started shipping handsets this summer. Pre-order was around $610 US including shipping. I wanted to try one out but they were selling so many, they weren't sure they'd have stock before I headed up north.

Supposedly they have equal coverage to Iridium.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into the inmarsat LID but I didn't think it would be ready until 2014?

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been using them for a couple months now. No issues yet. Works everytime I have tried using it.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been using them for a couple months now. No issues yet. Works everytime I have tried using it.

Works all the time? $650 seems like a pretty good deal compared to the iridium. Thanks for the link catchme:beer:

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Global star and iridium are the same company now. Yes they work great up north because that's where they send the satellites as that's where the majority of subscribers are. In the mountains they suck! U must wait for awhile to get a signal which is intermittent at best. U can download location use and satellite times to get better use but I have never bothered.... Just turn it on, wait 30min and you will get a signal eventually

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gonna try the global star this year. Bought one the other day since they r cheap right now. i will post again on how it works.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as last season.....Global star was gay..... you needed to catch them on their intermittent timeline for usage. Iridium service seemed to be instant, as we had booth sat phones in our group last year. (mine being the Gay-star)

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was only $470 new so figured its worth a shot.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I paid $300.00 for a used G-Star and have a plan - pay per minitues used - which is always low $$$ as I usaully can't connect with it when needed. I usually print off the satellite times off Globalstar's website before heading out riding (just in case of emergency)
A few years ago they were planning to launch some more satellites over Canada for better coverage, but that seems to have fell through.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well mine works pretty damn good,If you go to there website they have a update link on where they are in regards to launching the 52 new satelites.As of the end of Feb they will launch the last four and by next nov they expect to be back at full service,I was talking to my rep today and he says they are running about 75 percent right now,I dont ever seem to have to wait more than 15 minutes(worse case scenario) for service.They are improving.

A little info for the non believers that own a Spot Sat Messanger,They are a Globalstar product!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just for a little update,Made 3 phone calls from Renshaw(different spots and times)Next day two more calls from Belle,again different times and locations.Immediate full bars and zero wait time,even better than I expected.........definatly a good feeling to have a product that works this well in the hills.Big improvement from last year!
Happy Globalstar Customer!

Big Grump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear they are getting the chit together.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They've put up 18 new satellites in the last year with a total of 24 planned to improve service. This should improve things drastically

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They've put up 18 new satellites in the last year with a total of 24 planned to improve service. This should improve things drastically
I should post the link but they have added 50 up to now and the last four are scheduled for the end of feb for a total of 54 and then they are supposed to be back up running 100 percent by the end of summer and then the prices go up.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$499.00 for the gsp-1700 hand set $50.00 for activation and $39.99/mth for 12 mths. Includes unlimited calling, voicemail and texting. Seeing that I currently don't have a sat phone I'd say this would make my situation much more favorable if an emergency did occur.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its cheaper than my I phone LOL...............And mine works great!
catmando!
If you see me at mountain mania 6,just ask me and I will let you call for pizza LOL!

Top Bottom