Giving at Christmas - Samaritans Purse

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a few suggestions for giving at Christmas that stemmed from another thread re the horses stuck in McBride. A few people have pm'd me asking about Samaritan's Purse. I had a chance to volunteer with them last fall and go down to Peru to aid in the post earthquake clean up around San Clemente.

On one of the last day's SP arranged for our disaster relief team to visit a local community and hand out their Operation Christmas child gifts. I cannot tell you how moving it was to give these gifts, knowing that someone in Canada/US/Uk had taken the time to buy a few things and drop off a shoebox at their kid's school or grocery store (Sobeye's). These shoeboxes may be the only gifts these children will ever receive.

I know alot of people are skeptical that money donated actually gets to the people and I can testify that with my own eyes I saw food arriving one day and being packaged up ans delivered the same or next day. I saw a shipment of tents (that will be people's homes for the next several years) arrive at 2am and go out to the people the following morning at 8am. canadian Tire donated the tents as they had missing or broken poles, but the Peruvian people were so greatful to get them. The people needed a hand up - not a hand out and that is what SP tries to give.

There are lot's of great organisations to give to. Merry Christmas to you and your family and if you want to check it out further Samaritan's Purse

Attachments

• DSC01411.jpg
    DSC01411.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01410.jpg
    DSC01410.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010083.jpg
    P1010083.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010155.jpg
    P1010155.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 25

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple more

Attachments

• DSC01264.jpg
    DSC01264.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01390.jpg
    DSC01390.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010138.jpg
    P1010138.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010161.jpg
    P1010161.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 23

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haggis... my kids for the last many years have all shopped, packed up and donated a shoe box full of small gifts for the shoe box campain for Samaritans Purse. Not only is it great for those kids who have nothing but it a great lesson in Giving for kids that have everything.

You must have really had an eyeopener over there. Good for you. Close friends of my parents are deeply involved in SP, he is a Doctor and commits a pile of his time. He has been to alot of needy places over the years. SP is a class act all the way with many wonderful volunteers.

Merry Christmas.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Scotty - eyeopener was right. It was strange coming home and turning on the tap and seeing clean water that was safe to drink. Standing in a hot shower. What we don't realise is in n. America is that 90% of the world don't live the way we do and have the opportunities we have.

First day back had to attend a conference at the Banff Springs Hotel - was totally mind blowing to contrast the previous two weeks to that.

I guess what I really learned is we have a lot here and that is cool, enjoy it and be thankful, but spare a thought for the fact that most people living in this world do not have even the basics we take for granted here. giving to organisations like SP, World Vision etc really does make a difference.

Top Bottom