gearing for a 146-154" conversion ???

Reaction score
Over the past month i have been customizing my 08 xp i did many body mods but nothing to the gearing after changing the track and rails over to a 154" from a 146". i was wondering if anyone has done this and if they really needed to change the gearing? it pulled very good in the mountains when it was just stock and i don't want to have to spend more money on new chain and sprockets. If i do change it what is a good rearing to switch to, something that gives good bottom end?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_7980.jpg
    IMG_7980.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8014.jpg
    IMG_8014.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8010.jpg
    IMG_8010.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7978 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_7978 - Version 2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8002.jpg
    IMG_8002.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 150

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome job on the sled. Off the top of my head, the stock gearing on the sled is going to be 21/45. The quickest and cheapest solution is to run a 19 top gear. The only downside to the 19th is that it is a small gear which on a worn chain requires quite a bit of additional adjustment and creates a bit of a dogleg with the adjuster.

With the 154 and wanting to have some bottom end as you say, or quicker track response you might want to go to a lower gear ratio. Stock being 2.14 and the 19/45 being 2.36 getting in the range of 2.25-2.45 will get you there. So cheap an easy, run the 19 and depending on the mileage consider a chain replacement.

I would put any extra money to freshen up the clutching if you haven't done that. There are some decent prices on full Primary rebuild kits now, with likely rollers and new spring for the secondary. Bare minimum would be to freshen up the primary though.

Reaction score
Awesome job on the sled. Off the top of my head, the stock gearing on the sled is going to be 21/45. The quickest and cheapest solution is to run a 19 top gear. The only downside to the 19th is that it is a small gear which on a worn chain requires quite a bit of additional adjustment and creates a bit of a dogleg with the adjuster.

With the 154 and wanting to have some bottom end as you say, or quicker track response you might want to go to a lower gear ratio. Stock being 2.14 and the 19/45 being 2.36 getting in the range of 2.25-2.45 will get you there. So cheap an easy, run the 19 and depending on the mileage consider a chain replacement.

I would put any extra money to freshen up the clutching if you haven't done that. There are some decent prices on full Primary rebuild kits now, with likely rollers and new spring for the secondary. Bare minimum would be to freshen up the primary though.

I think my stock gears are 23/45 with it being the 146" stock, so if i were to go to a 20/45 i should be good? i priced it out and it will be around $150 for chain and sprocket. i think i might make a trip to the mountains with it the way it is before i change it, i just hope it won't be to big of a difference that i will get myself in trouble. thanks for the reply i am very excited to take Red out for a ride.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got lots of chains and 19 t , 21t , 45 gears not asking for much maybe a bottle of rum lol if yr interested

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think my stock gears are 23/45 with it being the 146" stock, so if i were to go to a 20/45 i should be good? i priced it out and it will be around $150 for chain and sprocket. i think i might make a trip to the mountains with it the way it is before i change it, i just hope it won't be to big of a difference that i will get myself in trouble. thanks for the reply i am very excited to take Red out for a ride.

I am on my phone and cant tell, did you put a 2.5" lug 154 on there or a 2.25"?

With a 2.5" and stock or near stock clutching you might find you can't get the rpm you want when you need it with a 20/45. It's not a bad place to start if you already have a 20 though. As Jake there said, many people have 19, 20, 21 sitting around in their garages as we have all tried different things. You can pick up a used gear set for cheap.

I know my 09 146 I had was 21/45. It could have been 23 on some of the 08's. But they changed them out fairly quick.

sent from a top secret location

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You got some gears kicking around Dan? Gotta get mine tuned for the BB. I only have two rides on it since I did the motor. Between my wife passing away in 2011 and breaking my neck on the first ride last year, I haven't come close to dialing in in. You should stop over for a Keith's or 2 and give me a few pointers.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You got some gears kicking around Dan? Gotta get mine tuned for the BB. I only have two rides on it since I did the motor. Between my wife passing away in 2011 and breaking my neck on the first ride last year, I haven't come close to dialing in in. You should stop over for a Keith's or 2 and give me a few pointers.

Hey man yeah for sure. If you still have that ring gear I will grab it from you.

Have you thought about a belt drive? Might not be in your budget this year but I know where to get you a new style.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey man yeah for sure. If you still have that ring gear I will grab it from you.

Have you thought about a belt drive? Might not be in your budget this year but I know where to get you a new style.

See below...the OP sled looks good btw. How are the boss seats nowadays?

Last edited:

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Fat fingers

Ya buddy, the ring gear is hanging on the wall in the garage. I have thought about a belt drive actually, the one you know of is used? I just bought a 2013 street glide in Montana, picking it up next weekend. So, yeah, the budget is pretty limited, but hard to pass up a good deal. My garage is a disaster right know, need to gut it before I can do any work in there. I'll get at it this week. The neck is coming around, so should be on the snow by end of January. Give me a call or send me a pm about the belt drive. I assume it is a C3.

Last edited:
Reaction score
not sure how a current boss seat is, i found this one on Kijiji for $200 its an older one and half the zippers were broke i got them fixed for $50. I find it a little firm compared to stock and on the front of the seat where it is low against the fuel tank i now find it gave me a new place to bump my knee occasionally.it looks nice and it is deff light weight, bought it more for the pocket storage.
See below...the OP sled looks good btw. How are the boss seats nowadays?

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2012 154 stock gearing is 19/48. Also where did you get the zippers fixed on your seat? Mines the same way all the zippers are missing the pulls.

Sent from my iPhone using

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your riding? Here we are booning in the trees with climbs and hill climbs but all in big mts. 154s we are running 20/51 gearing but you need clutching too.

Top Bottom