gas question

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you buy ethanol-free gas in Alberta.
I thought a SHELL V-Power gas could be a solution, since its premium.
But there is no lebels on it, salepersons at gas station do not know either.
I found this, but list is very small
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Where do get gas for your sleds in Alberta?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell premium does not have ethnol h pumps are tagged here is sticker that shows the ethanol content of each grade of gas right on the pump

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Google has everything...........BC Chevron isn't the best as you will notice from this read.So, here's what I can document so far.

- I have a 2012 GT-R that I've filled up with BC Chevron 94 since brand new as there are no other 94 octane alternatives.
- I usually fill up at the stations in North Vancouver, but occasionally at other chevron stations throughout the lower mainland
- I've encountered low boost mode on several occasions in the past 4 months while the car was completely stock
- Nissan service techs have said that there is nothing they can do to help with the safe mode issues - the problem from their point of view is the gasoline
- I've recently tuned my vehicle on cobb 91 octane stage 1 and from datalogs it looks like the vehicle continues to go into safe mode
- Response from various tuners have been that BC Chevron 94 underperforms compared to west coast 91 octane fuel in the US

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Alberta I think all 94 octane gas has ethanol in it that how they get to 94.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

Waldeckman

Reaction score
I'm from Saskatchewan and here all our regular gas has ethanol in it and I believe its the same in Alberta now. All blender pumps can pump either regular or premium through the same hose so what you need to look for is a station that has a dedicated premium gas hose. In saying that gas has a shelf life of 90 days from the date of manufacture. So you want also to look for a station that has a good turnaround of its premium gas.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run costco 91, they have no ethanol in the premium. Went to small town BC last winter and all stations had ethanol in the premium fuel. They use the one hose method at Costco but I always fill generator fuel first and my stocker then fuel the turbo.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google has everything...........BC Chevron isn't the best as you will notice from this read.So, here's what I can document so far.

- I have a 2012 GT-R that I've filled up with BC Chevron 94 since brand new as there are no other 94 octane alternatives.
- I usually fill up at the stations in North Vancouver, but occasionally at other chevron stations throughout the lower mainland
- I've encountered low boost mode on several occasions in the past 4 months while the car was completely stock
- Nissan service techs have said that there is nothing they can do to help with the safe mode issues - the problem from their point of view is the gasoline
- I've recently tuned my vehicle on cobb 91 octane stage 1 and from datalogs it looks like the vehicle continues to go into safe mode
- Response from various tuners have been that BC Chevron 94 underperforms compared to west coast 91 octane fuel in the US

Sorry FS, but I would be hardly convinced of poor fuel quality anywhere based on that backyard tuners comments. His car doesn't run on 94 for Chevron, nor does it run on 91 from Cobbs. It goes into Limp mode using both fuel types, I think Nissan should put the car on the computer and fix the issue or he should take the "not covered under warranty" boost controller off that he secretly installed...... Ethanol is hydroscopic and will absrob water, thus reducing the octane rating of the fuel. All these guys got huge $$$ tied up in vehicles and yet they have an issue like this and they won't buy a simple hydrometer test kit (really cheap and easy to use) to eliminate a variable, its super easy to blame the fuel when you don't want to do a little work.

To the OP, most of the blends out there are "up to" 10%, but often times don't contain that much ethanol. Overall a small amount is not going to hurt your engine, and most of the sleds today can tolerate at least up to 10%.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run costco 91, they have no ethanol in the premium. Went to small town BC last winter and all stations had ethanol in the premium fuel. They use the one hose method at Costco but I always fill generator fuel first and my stocker then fuel the turbo.
I use Costco 91 as well. Never thought about the one hose.... wonder how much ethanol gas is in there?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry FS, but I would be hardly convinced of poor fuel quality anywhere based on that backyard tuners comments. His car doesn't run on 94 for Chevron, nor does it run on 91 from Cobbs. It goes into Limp mode using both fuel types, I think Nissan should put the car on the computer and fix the issue or he should take the "not covered under warranty" boost controller off that he secretly installed...... Ethanol is hydroscopic and will absrob water, thus reducing the octane rating of the fuel. All these guys got huge $$$ tied up in vehicles and yet they have an issue like this and they won't buy a simple hydrometer test kit (really cheap and easy to use) to eliminate a variable, its super easy to blame the fuel when you don't want to do a little work.

To the OP, most of the blends out there are "up to" 10%, but often times don't contain that much ethanol. Overall a small amount is not going to hurt your engine, and most of the sleds today can tolerate at least up to 10%.

I remember reading something on here about the problems with Chevron 94 (posted by dc76 and/or takethebounce). I sort of thought that this was in that ball park. I agree, it is a simple process to doo the test as we doo it for the fuel used in our drags in the spring. If these internet guru's are missing the testing process then that is there problem and thanks for clearing that up.

Regarding the Costco premium, it states on the pump for their premium "no ethanol where available". I have never found a problem with any premium gas that I have used. I buy Costco, SuperStore/ExtraFoods, and FasGas. It all works great IMHO...........:D

PS I'm not very concerned about the little bit of ethanol remaining in the hose either. That reminds me of the tight arses who actually tip the hose to get the last little bit they paid for......:d

Last edited:

snowhound63

Reaction score
Here is what Fas Gas has to say about there fuel says there premium that does not contain ethanol

Top Bottom