Gas Pot, Remote Start.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
but youd have to ask if it can be put in after ,,it might require different features to,it came with the steering wheel controls etc.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
but youd have to ask if it can be put in after ,,it might require different features to,it came with the steering wheel controls etc.
I'll be calling GM tomorrow, to see?

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Factory starters are the chit for sure. Mine will start my wifes SUV from inside West Ed mall first floor and the SUV is on the second floor parking lot. AND its warm with clear windows when we get to it ;) kids love it!!

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try holding your remote to your chin when you start it. Your jawbone will act as an antenna and usually it gives a bit more range.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get get the iPhone app for the factory starter and you can start your unit from across the world. I know a couple people with GM trucks and it works pretty slick runs through onstar I believe.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have factory in wifes gmc suv and its the ****s. Brother uses his iphone through onstar and can start his from a long way away

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They can be put in after, we get them installed on all of our fleet trucks because of the heater feature and the fact that most of the aftermarket guys are circumventing the vehicles security to get them to work.

Also as someone said the Onstar app is cool. Gives you remote access to start/ lock/ unlock the vehicle but it's pricey too. It is $24.95/ month if you go month to month or gets as cheap as $20.81 if you pay for 3 years in advance.

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can be put in after, we get them installed on all of our fleet trucks because of the heater feature and the fact that most of the aftermarket guys are circumventing the vehicles security to get them to work.

Also as someone said the Onstar app is cool. Gives you remote access to start/ lock/ unlock the vehicle but it's pricey too. It is $24.95/ month if you go month to month or gets as cheap as $20.81 if you pay for 3 years in advance.
You will definitely not want to rely on the On-Star app for regular vehicle starting 'cause it is SLOW as dirt - not to mention the whopping $24/mo price tag. However, it is a nice feature if you want to start your vehicle from anywhere. I suspect that the heater / seats / defrost integration is only available through the factory start - if you get a good aftermarket install, it should really just piggy back on your factory start to give you additional range and features. Of course, you will need to confirm this.

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get get the iPhone app for the factory starter and you can start your unit from across the world. I know a couple people with GM trucks and it works pretty slick runs through onstar I believe.
I gotta agree, I got the factory starter and downloaded the onstar app, its pretty cool, can lock/unlock, start/stop, the truck from anywhere, also can check tire pressure, fuel level, fuel range, etc from the app

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will definitely not want to rely on the On-Star app for regular vehicle starting 'cause it is SLOW as dirt - not to mention the whopping $24/mo price tag. However, it is a nice feature if you want to start your vehicle from anywhere. I suspect that the heater / seats / defrost integration is only available through the factory start - if you get a good aftermarket install, it should really just piggy back on your factory start to give you additional range and features. Of course, you will need to confirm this.

What do you mean by slow? Does it take a couple of minutes for the command to go through?

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it usually takes 2 min for me to get the conformation back that its running, I like it for the fact as soon as the plane hits the runway I can start the truck and its nice and warm by the time I get to it

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it usually takes 2 min for me to get the conformation back that its running, I like it for the fact as soon as the plane hits the runway I can start the truck and its nice and warm by the time I get to it

Yup, plus it also takes about 15 seconds just for the app to launch and connect to your vehicle. ...great when you need it for the once in a while long distance start, but sucks for every day starting.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I made a mistake in my first post, that I found out today. That my truck is a 2013.

None the less, I call a GM dealer today and they said about 400 bucks installed. Which is 150 less than aftermarket, seeing how it is a company truck I'll be going with factory.
I'm not sure if Onstar will be activated in the truck or not?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake in my first post, that I found out today. That my truck is a 2013.

None the less, I call a GM dealer today and they said about 400 bucks installed. Which is 150 less than aftermarket, seeing how it is a company truck I'll be going with factory.
I'm not sure if Onstar will be activated in the truck or not?
Yes, if equipped, they activate your OnStar for 6 months and XM for 3 months

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, if equipped, they activate your OnStar for 6 months and XM for 3 months
I'm not sure if the company I work for has activated OnStar, they may have said no is what I mean.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ahh, gotchya. ...but the trial period is free, so you may be able to just call for activation.
I'll find out for sure by the end of next week, when I get the truck. It would be great if I did get the 6 months free

Top Bottom