Gas job programmer/tune

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a quick search on s and m and didn't see much come up. I have a 2008 chev with a 5.3L. What is my best bet? A lot of folks on the Internet suggest going with a custom tune. Any thoughts or experiences?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a bully dog on my 5.4 09 worked ok
Going to try to load up new programming onto it for the ecoboost but if I can't it will be for sale pretty sure it will work for you if you want.
Custom tube is best as it can be designed to maximize your mods. That being said pricey and if you change things might screw it up

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Second the black bear tune. They send you a thing that monitors your driving, you tell them what aftermarket parts you have on it and then they send you a programmed ecu specific for your motor and driving type

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Second the black bear tune. They send you a thing that monitors your driving, you tell them what aftermarket parts you have on it and then they send you a programmed ecu specific for your motor and driving type

Are these programmers detectable by the dealers? I know some of the diesel ones are and some aren't

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Custom tune, period. I am an efilive tuner... but no I don't tune for other people beyond a couple friends of mine so don't ask lol. That said I went that route because I have zero faith in anyone local. Blackbear, Wheatley and Nelson are the big 3 email guys. I would stay the hell away from Westers in Tilley but I can't tell you what to do. One member at least on here likes Paynton Performance in Drayton Valley. Handhelds are junk, period. The whole warranty thing... without explaining how the pcm is detected if you are scared of that, leave it stock. Non global pcm equipped gms if flashed back to stock will not store any previous cal ids so you will be fine. Trucks are not global and 2011 diesels are a waste to talk about as the Bosch pcm they have basically no one worth mentioning can talk too.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't most of the new vehicles log how many times the PCM has been flashed if the numbers don't jive with the oems count the can tell you have had a tuner installed

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if gm does no one with a tech 2 will be smart enough to find it. Even disconnecting the battery clears key cycles so that really proves absolutely nothing. Calibration id numbers are what they will look for. If they match the oem number that pcm should have, you are golden.

And really if you are that worried about the dealer finding anything and voiding gms absolute joke of a warranty. .. leave the thing stock.

gasman

Reaction score
I had an 08 GM with the 5.3. I put on an aftermarket exhaust and when it kicked down to 4 cylinders it sounded like a rice rocket. I loved the sound otherwise so I asked the guy at the parts dept and he put me on to a custom engine shop called Campbells Automotive.(not sure if they are even still around) I had them disable to 8-4 cylinder drop out, he then did a custom tune including fuel mapping, transmission shift settings, removed speed limiter :) the difference was unreal and no warrenty issues. I was hoping for a little better mpg but there was no change. cost was just over $400 and the best part is I sold it to my dad when I got my company truck so I still get to take it out once and awhile. If you could find someone to do a custom tune I would totally go that way.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus u wouldn't know the trans torque limit factory.

It's insane how much its limited

sent from my HTC

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus u wouldn't know the trans torque limit factory.

It's insane how much its limited

sent from my HTC

With a 4L60E there is a good reason for that too.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 08 GM with the 5.3. I put on an aftermarket exhaust and when it kicked down to 4 cylinders it sounded like a rice rocket. I loved the sound otherwise so I asked the guy at the parts dept and he put me on to a custom engine shop called Campbells Automotive.(not sure if they are even still around) I had them disable to 8-4 cylinder drop out, he then did a custom tune including fuel mapping, transmission shift settings, removed speed limiter :) the difference was unreal and no warrenty issues. I was hoping for a little better mpg but there was no change. cost was just over $400 and the best part is I sold it to my dad when I got my company truck so I still get to take it out once and awhile. If you could find someone to do a custom tune I would totally go that way.

They use either HP or efilive. If your engine blew up they would check the calibration ids in the pcm. If its tuned they will not match the oem ones and yes your coverage is voided. For anything beyond complete powertrain failure no dealer will ever check for that.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. After further reading and searching around, I have decided to go with the Blackbear tune. I like the idea of logging my driving patterns and vehicle performance, and having them build me a tune based on that.

Here is the girl I'm gonna try wake up! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369713762.973172.jpg

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out westers garage. The man is a magician with motors. Particularly chev motors. He does custom tunes and programs. Amazing to feel the before and after he's done with a vehicle. He's not cheap but you get what you pay for.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of a tuner that works on the new dodge hemi? Cant find any thing that will work on Dodge newer than 2010?

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're interested, I have an Autocal from blackbear that I'm selling now as I just upgraded my truck. Its pretty much brand new and justin can build the tunes specifically for your truck. Let me know.

Top Bottom