Garmin Rino 650 - is there an emergency channel for British Columbia

ryan0402

Reaction score
I have a Garmin Rino 650 that I take snowmobiling. Works great, battery lasts all day and then some. Can see your buddies location (if they have Rino's too).

Anyhow, if ever in an emergency situation which channel do I use in my Rino to try to communicate that emergency with outside world?

Thanks
R

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
If you ride anything like we ride in the east koot, your radio will never have the power to transmit out to the rescue world even if it did have the channel. Usually you only get a few KM in the bush with the consumer radios (if you're lucky). Some areas have VHF repeaters on mountain tops that you can pick up with a VHF radio, but your rhino doesn't receive that frequency. If you have a truck mounted VHF you would have a much better chance of reaching someone on the outside world if you have a programmable radio. your best bet is to get a spot or something along those lines.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think i understand what your saying, i think it could be a good idea to have the channel posted in the staging area for the rides to take note of, if you ever have someone lost, they could go to the safe channel then everyone looking for them would be on the same channel, would make finding a lost rider easier, everyone would be on the same channel , the lost rider and the searchers.

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
that would be helpful for everybody with a FRS radio..... Eg. channel 10-1 is the SAR channel?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's bad enough with the punjabi hit parade being played over the friggin truck radio, without also having that and some crap wrap etc.

Sofa King much pow

Reaction score
If you are riding in Revy.
We monitor 4-0 for SAR.
It's posted at all the trail heads and in the cabins.
Also couple of us on SAR carry Rino 650's and Hi VHF radios.

Top Bottom