Garmin Birdseye on a Rino 650

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with the constant talk about which GPS unit to purchase I decided to download Garmin topographic maps and Birdseye satellite imagery on to my Rino 650. I had never worried about the gps portion of these radios before. After about 4 hrs of playing with the maps on the computer I had figured out the program and was able to transfer it onto the Rino. I put on the satellite imagery of places near revy and in montana as these are my primary sledding areas. I am very impressed with this program and device. For me the 30 bucks was well worth it for the Birdseye. I find the detail very good and can see areas i had missed exploring. Just thought i would post this for anyone wondering if its worth the 30 bucks.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is 3 different settings of resolution depending on how much memory you want to take up.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not talking about the Hi/Low Res in your GPS Unit, I am talking about the HI/Low Res on the Google Earth Display. Some areas in Canada are not in the Hi Res display. Some of the Google data was taken in 2003 and some upgrades 2011/2012 or whenever. It Seems that areas of little interest to sum people were not in the Hi Res.??? and areas of security are blanked out.??? I have a Garmin Oregon 550 as well as a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, that are in current use, and lots of Software.

Bruce.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great read lowlife82. how was the down load speeds for the maps? and how big of a download at a time?

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great read lowlife82. how was the down load speeds for the maps? and how big of a download at a time?

Thanks. I have looked and wondered if it was worth price before so figure why not try it.Down load of a ridin area was about 10min. I dont remember what size they were but my gps has 2MB memory and its not over half full yet with 2 very large areas. Gonna get a memory card for it and try see how big of area a person can go.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You only get a year so get a big memory card, i think on ebay click free shipping you would be surprised how cheap they are. Of coarse maybe your unit has a limit to card sizes. I prefer high res images, but i have a magellan. My download speeds started getting slower and slower as the year went on.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not how big the Memory Card is its how much Garmins units can read, The Garmin MapSource Topo Canada V.4 for all of Canada is under 4 Gigs. There is a limit on how many maps the unit can read??? so buying a 8 Gig memory card is a wast of money, you can load max but the unit will not read all. I use the Micro SD 4Gig cards. The Alberta Backroad GPS Maps are somthing like 580 Mbs.

Bruce.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hum, i had to check this out on mine. After updating vantage point software i notice the new update is compatible with garmin units.... interesting. My magellan has over 10 gigs of maps loaded on my 16 gig sd card. It will take a 32 gig sd card according to the manual. I loaded all the maps at once on my gps every thing was working fine. I have the option on loading just one map at a time though

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=856

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a lot of trees, we got our selves chocked up into a mass of these things. Without high def maps and a yearly subscription we would have never known a road was 80 yards away, the maps that come with gps's are ok but high def maps are simply fantastic. I noticed your unit will hold a 32 gig micro sd card as well, sd cards come with microSD, microSDHC, SD, SDHC and several speeds, do a bit of studying before you order.

Top Bottom