garage mats to catch slush dripping from car in heated garage

c_nelson99

Reaction score
So here is something I made that works wicked for catching the melting slush from your wheel wells when parking in a heated garage. Whole thing cost me like $130.

Home depot rubber matting 28" wide cut to 18' long, took 1"x2" spruce furring strips and cut them into 4' lengths to make it easily moveable. I then layed the strips on the floor, put mat on top and stapled the edges to the strips. Makes a perfect catch bin for the crap melting off wifes jeep and the rubber mat is super tough and shouldnt tear. I even scored a 24" soft foam squegee there that fits perfect to push the water out the door.

cheaper than the $350 garage mats made of poly and catches most of the melting snow keeping my garage floor dry.

Attachments

• mat 1.jpg
    mat 1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 418
  • mat 2.jpg
    mat 2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 422
  • mat 3.jpg
    mat 3.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 420

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
princess auto have them on sale next week cars 199 and trucks 229 might have get one for my garage the squeegee works ok

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is something I made that works wicked for catching the melting slush from your wheel wells when parking in a heated garage. Whole thing cost me like $130.

Home depot rubber matting 28" wide cut to 18' long, took 1"x2" spruce furring strips and cut them into 4' lengths to make it easily moveable. I then layed the strips on the floor, put mat on top and stapled the edges to the strips. Makes a perfect catch bin for the crap melting off wifes jeep and the rubber mat is super tough and shouldnt tear. I even scored a 24" soft foam squegee there that fits perfect to push the water out the door.

cheaper than the $350 garage mats made of poly and catches most of the melting snow keeping my garage floor dry.

The other thing that you may want to add to that is a few rolls of pipeline rock guard, since you are in the business.. helps stop the rocks from poking through when you drive on a dirty mat. I took a 36" roll and cut it in half, voila 2 runner strips

http://www.tuff-n-nuff.com/rock_shield.asp

Last edited:

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish I had that problem, never see a vehicle in my garage. Too much stuff!! Suppose if there was a space for the truck the floor drain would come in handy.

The de-humidifier is a sound idea, especially for people with rooms above the garage. Moisture will wick into areas and create mold if you are not careful.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
we run a dehumidifier and a floor fan which helps immensely. but I still need a mat of some kind, it's a full time job keeping up with the shop vac and catching it before it runs to the wall. Not sure why they build heated garages without floor drains. Eventually I want to cut troughs out of the concrete and install grating over a catch basin that can be pumped out.

Ideally I'd like to re-slope the floor to the middle with a drain but that's a bigger job than I have time or money for right now

loudmouth+coke

Reaction score
It is against building code to put a floor drain in a garage now.

that depends on where you live.
My area is fairly new, still houses being constructed down the street and almost every house has a drain in the garage. Some are the small 4" square box and others are a trough across all the bays.

I also agree the dehumidifier comment . Last year I put in a dehumidifier and it made a huge difference.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's a good answer for under a sled that won't get ripped by skags?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I ran into this before. Issue was people's garage drains were tied to sewer. Then some moron dumps half a jerry can and washes it down said sewer. Good grief.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I ran into this before. Issue was people's garage drains were tied to sewer. Then some moron dumps half a jerry can and washes it down said sewer. Good grief.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure cities don't want oil/gas in the sewer lines but I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed a standalone trench that's not connected to anything.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I'm pretty sure cities don't want oil/gas in the sewer lines but I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed a standalone trench that's not connected to anything.

I was told that was not allowed either because it creates a fire/explosion hazard.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With respects to garage drains, there are areas that have different building codes in place that fall under under municipal codes or provisions. City vs rural. Depends on where you are. You may just have an inspector that wished he had one, doesn't, so no one else can have it because he said so. Someone says you can't do something because is it "law, code, or other information" ask to see that information. Make them prove to you instead of going on hearsay or someones word. Inspectors don't know everything. Example, we installed a wood burning firebox in the man cave. Installer says you will need heat shielding for code, inspector says we don't need it (who do you believe?). You believe the insurance surveyor when he comes to the house that is ex firefighter and says the installer is right, good thing the heat shielding was sitting there waiting to be installed before we fire it or we'd of been screwed for insurance. Putting my faith in a bunch of sled heads jonesing to be in the powder instead of at work probably isn't advised either. ;)

Simple, if you want a garage floor drain you need to create secondary containment in the event of a spill. Those who have septic tanks and fields understand the two part tanks that separate the solids from the liquid. Look at commerical applications for these drains or "sumps" if you are serious about having a drain.

They are nice!

77Crash77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a two compartment sump. Then it will separate dirt, and oil from water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom