Garage heaters

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 30x32 garage with 12' ceiling I was wondering what guys are using for heaters?
Origianally i wanted to go with a radiant heater but I was told that ill create some condonsation in the garage since there will be no air movement,so now im leaning more towards forced air heater.
Just wondering what people are using out there?
thanks

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In floor heat is awesome if its not to late. I have a 30'x40' with a 30' radiant. It's super cheap to operate and can dry 5 frozen sleds and all gear over night. The floor will have water on it but if you squeegee it it drys super fast. Due to a garage fire I now have a 12" exhaust fan and I'm sure the floor will dry faster this winter. I would go radiant over force air.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a mr heater from princess auto. 50000btu and pumps the heat out. Nice a quite for what you pay. I know they make and sell and 80000btu version for 650.

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Radiant for sure. I have a 20' tube heater and luv it. If the garage is properly insulated, I don't foresee any condensation issues.
Less dust being blown around for sure, than forced air. Radiant heat warms objects and floor, which means a quick recovery when you open and close doors.
And quiet as well. A 12' ceiling is an ideal height. Mine is 9-1/2', and have no issues. The heat that is given off, feels like the sun on your back on a warm day !
Just my opinion.............

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like everyone seems to like the radiant heaters!

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
radiant is super nice but you need to maintain 5 ft clearance to any thing in front of your heater including your vehicles paint

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up an old school natural gas forced air Renzor heater off Kijiji last year for $200, works great and heats my whole garage in literally 5 mins and will thaw a sled out in under an hour. Might be a little overkill, cant remember what size it is but wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will have some condensation with any form of heat in a garage when you put a snow covered vehicle in it however most people that have issues with have in floor heating. You can always put an exhaust fan in with a dehumidistat and some form of an intake for fresh air to exhaust the humidity.

Forced air heat will have a faster recovery rate if you want to turn the heat off in the winter and only turn it on sometimes (to work on a machine or dry out sleds or whatever)

Radiant or infrared heaters have a slightly slower recovery rate in the above mentioned situation but it is a nice even heat. They heat the concrete and objects in the garage not just the air.

If I have a customer that will be opening and closing the doors a lot I often put in a infrared heater and a small (30,000btu) forced air heater so they get the best of both worlds. The concrete is warm (warmer) and the forced air is capable of heating the air in the space relatively quickly when continually losing the heated air by opening the doors.

If it were my garage I'd go with infrared tube heaters but either way it will work just fine. My father and I had a shop we used for outfitting so when we were skinning deer we wanted it warm but all other times we wanted it around 2 degrees for hanging meat. I installed a tube heater and it only took a few minutes (maybe 10 min) to bring the temperature up to the point where I could work in a t shirt in there. If you intend to keep it above zero all the time, the recovery rate being slower on infrared really isn't an issue unless you expect it to be instantly warm. If you want to completely turn the heat off and only heat the shop when your in it then I would suggest forced air heat.

JMO Goodluck and grats on the new garage.

660canuck

Reaction score
Another vote for the radiant. Had one in my last garage and loved it. Got mine from Calcana Industries in Calgary. I'll be putting one in my new place this winter.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like it was mentioned before. All heaters will make condensation due to snow and ice on vehicles. I have a forced air heater and had to buy a dehumidifier from Canadian tire. All my tools were getting rusty. Runs all winter long, dump the bucket every second day. Actually have two now.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the radiant. Had one in my last garage and loved it. Got mine from Calcana Industries in Calgary. I'll be putting one in my new place this winter.

:DAnother vote for Calcana........ nice not to not scrape windows and cozy warm:D. Too bad it has to sit outside at work though:(

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great advice! Being that the garage is attached to the house I will be wanting to keep it at a decent temp at all times in the winter and be able to work in there in my Tshirt :d

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would a 75,000btu Calcana 23ft long tube heater work well for my 800sqft garage? It is 2 door garage one bay 24x13ft and other bay 38x13ft. What you guys think?

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a small forced air Modine in my attached garage and moisture issues are minimal. I get some condensation on the windows and seams on the overhead doors, but over the course of the day when they wife and I are both at work, it goes away. Neighbor down the street has floor heat in his and had to install a smaller HRV system to deal with the moisture issues.

Top Bottom