Gaming computer

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They actually live down in the states. small town, they have a wallmart and a staples. I think there is a best buy in a city a few hours away. haha

maybe i will look at memory express and get it up here and send down

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
They actually live down in the states. small town, they have a wallmart and a staples. I think there is a best buy in a city a few hours away. haha

maybe i will look at memory express and get it up here and send down

Well I wouldn't really buy a computer from Walmart and staples usually has old or discontinued computers. Basically you get what you pay for with most those computers, I would recommend them looking for a reputable computer retailer in a larger center. There are gaming forums you may find one that gives you ratings on computers.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the Sega Master System!
The one before the Genesis!
Hardly anyone even remembers it! ha

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert but you don't want anything less than 16gb of ram IMO and make sure they have a well reviewed GPU and processor. I use gaming laptops to run my work program and I really like MSIs but they are laptops and not towers so not apples to apples.
As was mentioned above, there's so many variables with with processors and graphics cards you might want to spend a few nights researching online or go to a dedicated computer store where you can talk to someone. Some can also build towers with custom components depending how in depth you want to go with it.

Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold my Sega Master System in box for 400.00 3 months ago. I played outside too much to use it...

You can find decent Alienware laptops in kijiji and fb market.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best to do research and buy each component, if not comfortable building it get it assembled from shop you buy from. Could always buy online too, it’s been a long time but I remember newegg being good. The out of box pc suck and aren’t upgradable. I am still using a few parts from a pc I built nearly 15 years ago. Don’t buy here and ship to states, parts way cheaper there.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Memory express is a good choice. Even if you don’t buy from them, use their knowledge and get them to spec out a good gaming package and get a detailed quote. You can forward that and they can use it as a resource to source something locally.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Memory express is a good place to start. Whatever you do don't buy a gaming PC from Wal-Mart, I'd be pretty leery of Staples as well.

How old is your nephew? I'd suggest getting him to build it himself, can be cheaper and a cool project at the same time. There's lots of tutorials online and on YouTube to guide him through the process. Also the budget factors in, a barebones PC that will play games okay start at $1000, really you need to spend $1500 to get anything decent. For processors the AMD Ryzen line gets the most bang for your buck, most middle of the road processors are enough for decent gaming, the money is best spent on an SSD and better graphics card.

As with everything right now, covid pricing applies, graphics cards are almost impossible to get right now and are way overpriced when you can.

Here is a good site for tutorials and build guides: Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share. - PCPartPicker

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Memory express is a good place to start. Whatever you do don't buy a gaming PC from Wal-Mart, I'd be pretty leery of Staples as well.

How old is your nephew? I'd suggest getting him to build it himself, can be cheaper and a cool project at the same time. There's lots of tutorials online and on YouTube to guide him through the process. Also the budget factors in, a barebones PC that will play games okay start at $1000, really you need to spend $1500 to get anything decent. For processors the AMD Ryzen line gets the most bang for your buck, most middle of the road processors are enough for decent gaming, the money is best spent on an SSD and better graphics card.

As with everything right now, covid pricing applies, graphics cards are almost impossible to get right now and are way overpriced when you can.

Here is a good site for tutorials and build guides: Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share. - PCPartPicker

Not trying to argue but just want to add more info, SSDs are nice but not worth anywhere near the value of the graphics card and processor if you're choosing where to spend money IMO. SSDs will let the game boot faster but won't improve game play itself

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to argue but just want to add more info, SSDs are nice but not worth anywhere near the value of the graphics card and processor if you're choosing where to spend money IMO. SSDs will let the game boot faster but won't improve game play itself

I fully understand where you are coming from, and if cost is the only imperative then yes an HDD is better.

That being said the price difference between an HDD and SSD in a 1tb drive is about $70. Personally I find that money well spent, especially if the PC is used for work or other purposes when long boot or load times hinder productivity. I will never again own a PC that doesn't have an SSD.

Top Bottom