Fuel Regulators

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Whats a good quality reasonably priced fuel regulator that I can replace mine with on my Powderlites turbo. The I currently have seems to fluctuate too much and the gauge reads 10 when theres nothing in it. It seems like a generic one that could use some updating to a faster more accurate unit. The one it comes with is a F1-Z fuel regulator. Found this on Ebay for $30 ish.. There is ones for $150 whats the diffference. Also where can I get a new, better quality one. And what should I be looking for?

0607777542.jpg

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I found this info so far,

Beware - Recently a lot of overseas manufacturers have been flooding the market with sub-standard regulators that look a lot like COSMORacing¡¦s. But that¡¦s where the similarity ends. More importantly, these weak, imprecise and unreliable knock-off regulators can potentially cause serious damage from engine running too lean. Protect yourself and confirm that you are buying a genuine COSMORacing Precision Sport Regulator. The money you saved on the cheap knock-off will be short-lived when you¡¦re replacing your engine.

WHY UPGRADE YOUR FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR?
The 3 essential elements of engine power are AIR (air intake system upgrade), FUEL (fuel regulator upgrade), SPARK (spark plugs, wires, & fire timing upgrades).
Key to effective fuel management is maintaining consistent fuel flow. In situations where a car is subject to sudden fuel loads (such as hard acceleration from a low rpm point or shifting through gears), the stock fuel pressure unit cannot provide a consistent flow, resulting in ¡§running ¡§lean¡¨ and loss of performance.

Thus, upgrading the fuel pressure unit is especially useful for three applications:
1. The factory turbo/supercharger car when the stock boost pressure is increased.
2. An aftermarket turbo/supercharger system applied to an EFI equipped car.
3. A normally aspirated EFI car with modifications that increase the air flow.

COSMO Racing Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator can provide precise and consistent fuel flow with boosts up to as much as twice the stock unit provides. With this unit, you can adjust from 20 psi to 80psi, or as much as your fuel pump can sustain

INSTALLATION DIFFICULTY: MEDIUM
Professional installation is recommended for this product. The CosmoRacing Fuel Pressure Regulator is a direct replacement for the stock unit and comes complete with all necessary hardware, and step-by-step instructions. Technical support is available by email or phone.

This is a pic of that brand,
1721.jpg

1722.jpg

Sammy

Reaction score
Ron it is natural for a regulator to hold rail pressure as they are built with this purpose in mind so you don't bleed back fuel while not running. I have a Malpassi 1:1 rising rate regulator on my Tapex and it will hold 20 psi on the guage for a given length of time. If you are going to a different regulator ensure it is a rising rate and find out from Dave if you require a 1:1 or 2:1 and then make your choice from there.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I am pretty sure PL kits run a 2 to 1 rising rate regulator.
Your correct. I switched over to the Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulator where it comes from my MSD fuel pump then to one side of my regulator, the other end goes to the fuel rail, I plugged off the back and the bottom runs back to the fuel tank. I took this for a test ride and wow, what a difference. I first had some high numbers on air/fuel right off the bat, took a look at the gauge and it was at 45, turned it up and the idle changed, its set at idle at 48 PSI and It ran strong with air/fuel numbers all day. It seemed way more responsive as well, it got rid of the low end bog it had once in a while. On the regulator there is a outlet that goes to the intercooler as well.

Attachments

• aeiImage186.jpg
    aeiImage186.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 206
  • Resized_pics 008.jpg
    Resized_pics 008.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Im just checking with Dave on the 1:1 vrs the 2:1, it ran great all day, and I never seen the 2:1 on the kits gauge, it was a sticker on the mounting bracket. Which I noticed when it was all completed upon cleanup. What would be the difference, not enough fuel or too much, why would of it ran so good all day? With good air fuel numbers, the only times they were questionable were when powering down and idling, they sometimes were at 14.2 to 15.1 and all day jumping and playing in the snow I was running 11.1 - 13.8

I think I will update the gauge though as it will max out at 65.

Thanks for all the great info so far.;)

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I spoke with Dave today at Powderlites and gave him my findings. He asked me my air fuel ratios and there good. He said to turn it up at idle a bit more. He asked about when running at higher rpm's what the air fuel was and is was 12/2 to 13/1 and that's good. He indicated it will work the same in the mountains.

Top Bottom