Fuel for the 09 Dragon / ethanol ECM setting

Jenkie

Reaction score
My new Dragon manual says it is ready for ethanol blended fuel, and if not using this fuel, I need to connect the blue/black to the pink wire or engine damage could occur.

Can anyone elaborate on this subject for me - why would polaris send the sleds out with the ethanol setting when you have to go and look for ethanol blended fuels?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My new Dragon manual says it is ready for ethanol blended fuel, and if not using this fuel, I need to connect the blue/black to the pink wire or engine damage could occur.

Can anyone elaborate on this subject for me - why would polaris send the sleds out with the ethanol setting when you have to go and look for ethanol blended fuels?
You only have to go as far as Husky or Mohawk

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris produces all their sleds with the wires unplugged, but the dealer should have made the adjustment and explained it to you. Ethanol fuel is more common in the States than it is here. It’s my understanding ethanol (oxygenated) fuel is more prone to detonation than conventional fuel. By unplugging the wires the ECU retards the ignition to prevent detonation. If you are not running ethanol fuel, you will definitely want to plug in the wires. Your engine will run stronger. The wires are located on the clutch side, just behind the belt carrier. Hope that helps.

Just to add, unplugged is the safe mode. If your using ethanol or unsure about the quality of the fuel, leave the wires unplugged. If your using good non-ethanol premium fuel, plug in the wires.

08 RMK 700

Reaction score
Polaris produces all their sleds with the wires unplugged, but the dealer should have made the adjustment and explained it to you. Ethanol fuel is more common in the States than it is here. It’s my understanding ethanol (oxygenated) fuel is more prone to detonation than conventional fuel. By unplugging the wires the ECU retards the ignition to prevent detonation. If you are not running ethanol fuel, you will definitely want to plug in the wires. Your engine will run stronger. The wires are located on the clutch side, just behind the belt carrier. Hope that helps.

Just to add, unplugged is the safe mode. If your using ethanol or unsure about the quality of the fuel, leave the wires unplugged. If your using good non-ethanol premium fuel, plug in the wires.

i dont want to sound like an idiot:eek: but my dad bought an 09 assault and the wires should be unplugged or plugged we use non ethanol fuel?

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unplugged =ethanol fuel
plugged in = 91 or better prem fuel
not sure about quality of fuel =unplugged

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also another note..at low elevations they suggest to run with the wires plugged in...makes it run richer and helps in burn downs at low elvations....thats for the boys up here in gods country running 91prem...

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If your worried about whether your using ethanol blended or regular gas, Briggs and Stratton has a testing vile so that one may test the ethanol level in the gas. When I was in McBride a couple weeks back I tested the fuel at Husky....91 octane did not have any ethanol in it.....the 87 octane had 10% ethanol. The kit is a vial you fill to one line with water and the other line with gas, water attracts the ethanol and changes the level in the vial. Thought this might help.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your worried about whether your using ethanol blended or regular gas, Briggs and Stratton has a testing vile so that one may test the ethanol level in the gas. When I was in McBride a couple weeks back I tested the fuel at Husky....91 octane did not have any ethanol in it.....the 87 octane had 10% ethanol. The kit is a vial you fill to one line with water and the other line with gas, water attracts the ethanol and changes the level in the vial. Thought this might help.

Where can you buy one of these?

Top Bottom