Front diff problems

vinson4ever

Reaction score
Just a heads up for all you rhino owners. Buddy of mine has a 09 rhino. Last wk end he was complaining of a noise coming out of the front diff when engaged in 4x4. After looking at it, we noticed that out of three brackets that hold the housing in place, only one was still in, which caused the whole housing to sag down and u-joint to drag on the frame. One of the rear bolts was gone and the 6" long front one was snapped off and laying in the belly plate. When it broke it took a big chunk out of the bracket on the diff housing. We were able to replace the missing and broke bolts. Checked the one that was in, and it was loose also. After talking to a dealer, was informed that this seems to be a ongoing problem. Might be a good idea to take bolts out and put lock tight on. Could result in an expensive repair if ignored.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up for all you rhino owners. Buddy of mine has a 09 rhino. Last wk end he was complaining of a noise coming out of the front diff when engaged in 4x4. After looking at it, we noticed that out of three brackets that hold the housing in place, only one was still in, which caused the whole housing to sag down and u-joint to drag on the frame. One of the rear bolts was gone and the 6" long front one was snapped off and laying in the belly plate. When it broke it took a big chunk out of the bracket on the diff housing. We were able to replace the missing and broke bolts. Checked the one that was in, and it was loose also. After talking to a dealer, was informed that this seems to be a ongoing problem. Might be a good idea to take bolts out and put lock tight on. Could result in an expensive repair if ignored.

ya thats a fact - there is a "tech bulletin on it" for the dealers on any that coome in for service but Yamaha imo should send a letter out toall the owners and let them know.....i think its only the seven hundreds that weve seen as we rent the 450 & 660 and no problems on them yet.

t

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trail logic makes great diff/a-arm gussets they are very cheap insurance for any rhino, the first thing i would ever put on a rhino, yes even before a winch, my front dif is held together with techsteel putty as this happened to my rhino and i broke my front mount off my diff, my locker is also stripped and does not work so i am gonna run it til i blows before i replace the entire diff. with the trail logic braces i have 1300km of hell since the breakage and still holding strong.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the trail logic diff support in the rear as well as the gussets.I have the front set up but it does not work with my warn winch mount.I have to get the trail logic mount

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the trail logic diff support in the rear as well as the gussets.I have the front set up but it does not work with my warn winch mount.I have to get the trail logic mount

the trail logic winch mount/a-arm gusset is a work of art. nice tough set up without packing a whole bunch of weight.

Top Bottom