free case of beer!!!!!!!!!!!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as the title says i have a free case of beer, you slect brand and size if case, if you can figure out this one for me.
i have a customers unit in shop. unit is a tri drive mixer with tandem steer. it is hard to steer when loaded. we have replaced both the slave steering box and the pump as well as had the master box inspected. all components are as new. unit steers a bit then hits the pressure relief in the pump. we have inspected all steering linkage and all is good. if we jack up 1 wheel,any wheel, on the front it steers from stop to stop with ease. removed and checked all kingpins and bearings and all is in as new condition. unit only has 50000km on it. problem just became evident lately. customer has 8 more identical units with no issues. i am out of ideas anybody have one. winner will be notified by pm. thanks.:confused::rant:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the pressure relief valve been tampered with? Perhaps set to release far too early?

*crosses fingers that it is that easy*

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been there done all that already i have about 40 hrs into this pos already. the last shop, one of the big three large truck dealers in edmonton, has a 10g bill on this thing and couldn't find the issue yet. :confused:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup. and only seems to do it while turning left. arrgh. anyone got some dynamite.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you said steering linkage all good but did you check if steering post spline is sliding in and out, if not feels fine in strait line but binds when turning, just a thought as it happened to me. If that's it I'll take a case of "The End of History" beer please :d

Attachments

• BrewDog_1687711c.jpg
    BrewDog_1687711c.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 396

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have probably already tried this, but at this point I would disconnect the pitman arm from the master steering box and any connections to the aux steering box, try turning the steering wheel. If everything is good, then reconnect the pitman arm but leave any connections to the 2nd steering axle disconnected.

process of elimination, see if everything works on the 1st steering axle, then add in the 2nd, the point of which you have a failure should tell you where the problem is.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as somebody else stated, I would try a new pressure releif valve as well.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have tried pretty much all of that. steer box is brand new as is the press. relief valve. if you have it jacked up and all disconnected from the boxes everything turns fine. thats why i was figuring possibly kingpin bearings. but all checked out good.
would really like to pass the buck to someone else but they keep bringing it back to me.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just for giggles I would try a different new pressure releif valve.

This is just an off the wall thought, but could the pressure releif valve in a tandem steer axle have a higher pop off than a standard single steer axle, if so would it be a different releif valve? Just grasping at straws.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
just for giggles i would try a different new pressure releif valve.

This is just an off the wall thought, but could the pressure releif valve in a tandem steer axle have a higher pop off than a standard single steer axle, if so would it be a different releif valve? Just grasping at straws.

and is the pressure relief valves bolted onto the steering boxes? If so, are they able to be moved slightly? Some older automotive gear boxes you could change the amount of assist to one side or the other by slightly moving the relief valve when loosening the hold down bolts, then tighten them up..... Very little known trick

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just for giggles I would try a different new pressure releif valve.

good point but the press stays the same. flow is what actually makes the boxes work. if the pump was to small it would just be slow to turn and if i reved up would help it a bit. this thing is a real pain in the azz. myself,employees, hydra steers techs and the other shop it wa sat, and my shop foreman in our quebec branch are all stumped.
I really appreciate all the ideas though. we all know once i find the problem it's going to be a why didn't i check that first thing.:confused:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as the title says i have a free case of beer, you slect brand and size if case, if you can figure out this one for me.
i have a customers unit in shop. unit is a tri drive mixer with tandem steer. it is hard to steer when loaded. we have replaced both the slave steering box and the pump as well as had the master box inspected. all components are as new. unit steers a bit then hits the pressure relief in the pump. we have inspected all steering linkage and all is good. if we jack up 1 wheel,any wheel, on the front it steers from stop to stop with ease. removed and checked all kingpins and bearings and all is in as new condition. unit only has 50000km on it. problem just became evident lately. customer has 8 more identical units with no issues. i am out of ideas anybody have one. winner will be notified by pm. thanks.:confused::rant:

Are those front axels driven?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do U have a broken "frame" or "suspension component" putting too much stress on the steering when loaded? If the fronts are driven, axels broke or binding when turning to the left? I'm throwing darts too!

Top Bottom