Frayed Recoil Rope problems ?

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 1M 800 and I broke the recoil rope ( at the d handle) a few times while on the trail and it was no big deal ( started it using the strap and replaces the rope on the recoil when I got home ) . I read that one guy blew a motor because the frayed rope got mangeled in the recoil housing and the fibers ruined the crank seal. I had the belly pan off the sled yesterday and I found alot of rope fibers in wound balls of fuzz in the bottom of the belly pan. I havn't had a engine ( lean out issue )yet but I am wondering if I have an issue that is worth removing the recoil and the mag housing and removing the stator etc. I have never removed the mag ever and I would like some advice if this is a big job to do. I don't have a manual and I am concerned about messing with timing and do I have to pull the engine to get at the seal to have a look ? Thanks in advance.

:confused:

idajack

Reaction score
I am not too sure how much chance of the fibers reaching the seal there really is however if you want to take a look you simply remove the starter housing, then the flywheel and you should be able to see the seal and determine it's condition.
you'll need a harmonic balancer puller kit to get the flywheel off. do not try to make do with a diferent puller you'll just bugger crap up.
Here's a link to a kit at sears http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...y Tools&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a
if the seal shows wear or you find a lot of fiber around the stator then you can ask more in depth questions, but even replacing the seal isn't too big of a deal.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the recoil rope problem is more centered on Polaris. When they break they can knock off the water pump belt. The Cats were issued an update for the routing of the pull cord. It was a cheesy piece of 1/4 inch bar bent to make it pull at a better angle. Those sleds are hard as heck to pull over and need the "big boy" rope! Go with the Kevlar reinforced guarantied super tough cords!

76FoMoCo

Reaction score
when you loose a rope you should take the time and pull the recoil off and remove the recoil assembly and bolt the cover back on. i have see the retaining nut and washer come off and go into the fly and stator thus taking out the stator do to the rope catching and running the nut back words. if you order the king cat 06 rope guide 0708-444 this will save on the rope. if you take the fly wheel off only run the bolts for the pull in about 5-6 full thread or you run the risk of putting the bolt ends in to the stator (by passing it threw the fly and into the coils)

Top Bottom