Fraudulent ads?

vinson4ever

Reaction score
Whats with all these atv's for sale on the Buy and Sell web site. Their prices are incredibly low. The o'l saying, to good to be true probably is. Has anybody dealt with this. There's got to be something fishy with those prices. I hope nobody been rip-off, just a heads up for anybody looking to purchase a new quad. Any input would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Whats with all these atv's for sale on the Buy and Sell web site. Their prices are incredibly low. The o'l saying, to good to be true probably is. Has anybody dealt with this. There's got to be something fishy with those prices. I hope nobody been rip-off, just a heads up for anybody looking to purchase a new quad. Any input would be appreciated.

I have sent them many emails but I guess they do not care. Site is useless use Kijiji instead. My rule is if there is no phone number I do not respond.

SwampRatt

Reaction score
I've got the same response back whether it's on Buy/Sell or Kijiji (also lots of scams). About two days after you email they respond with " I've left the country for work, and the machine is in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Mississippi, etc. If you send the money through this 3rd party I'll have it shipped and then we're both assured the deal is secure." It's the same response every time, just a different place the quad is in. 3rd party means sweet nothing if it's set up by the same guy. Sure wish there were more honest people left out there.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
people obviously fall for them or they wouldn't continue to do it...

Even some on the Pay for listing sites now.... canadatrader.com

They are making money..... don't be fooled...

vinson4ever

Reaction score
Under curiously, I emailed on one. The response I got was the quad is in Manitoba, just moved to edmonton to a new job. Their using Ebay as the third party. Just send the money to Ebay to hold onto and the quad would be delivered in three days. I can keep it for ten days and then decide if I want it or not. Yea right! Unfortunately your right, their still in business because people are getting ripped off. We're all looking for a good deal, but $2500 for a 2009 grizzly, give me a break. So ignore these scams and maybe they will go away.

oldrxl'r

Reaction score
I e mailed one of the adds and had a couple of replies on it.
I copied below:

I’m sorry, but this process does not work for me!
When I seen the add it was listed in Edmonton on Buy Sell not anything to do with eBay!
I don’t buy anything until I have seen and had a touchy feel of it.
Perhaps you may be able to scam someone else on your deal?
Beware of you IP address out there you may be tracked on this!

From: Suzanne McGarity [mailto:suzanne.e.mcgarity@hotmail.com]
Sent: April-28-10 2:52 AM

Subject: RE: E-Mail SALES LEAD from Buysell.com!

Hi again,

Here is the VIN#: 4XAVH76A19D812945. The RZR is located in Victoria BC, we will use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection, so we can both be protected and insured. I just need your full name and full address so eBay can send you the invoice in which you'll see how to make this transaction. I supposed to ship the UTV to another buyer, then he told me that he found another UTV so is no longer interested. He already paid the shipping charges, the shipping is paid. I will send the RZR with all the papers (vehicle registration, warranty papers, transfer papers etc) I am just waiting your full name and address to complete the shipping papers and start the delivery process.

Thank you very much,
Suzanne McGarity

To: suzanne.e.mcgarity@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:57:39 -0600
Hey!
I’m still interested.
Send me the VIN# , where it is located and who to have the bank draft made out to.
If possible I’d like to pick it up Friday.
Cheers!

From: Suzanne McGarity [mailto:suzanne.e.mcgarity@hotmail.com]
Sent: April-27-10 3:11 AM

Hi there,

The RZR is still for sale.. Thanks for being interested in buying my 2009 POLARIS RANGER RZR 800 EFI 4X4. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been implicated in any accidents, no problems at the engine, runs very well. It has an 800 CC engine, 495 miles, clear title, a perfect RZR. The price is not negotiable, $4,400.00 firm. The only thing because I am selling it, because I divorced with my husband and after the divorce I own this UTV, now as a woman I don`t need it...

I can provide vin # to check on your own. Just let me know if you are still interested.

Thank you very much,
Suzanne McGarity

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow surprised they actually came up with a vin. that almost never happens. but just as everyone else says BE CAREFUL OUT THERE scam artists live among us so buyer beware

Jazzygurl

Reaction score

Yup... theres been quite a few. i've had ones that said they were up in NWT... and thats where the trailers were, but after i had questioned them on it.. the ads were deleted within the day.

Buy & Sell has lots, i've sent in lots of complaints stating they were fradulent but they don't do anything. Kijiji will actually email you back and block their email address from posting anything.. but unfortuantly we all know how easy it is to create a new one.

I say... unless you can go see it in person, or actually drive it why buy it??

Kruchy

Reaction score
What is really funny is that the initial feedback from these losers is the same. They are so lazy they cut and paste the paragraphs from each other. I try respond to everyone and let them know I have a cousin where the machine is located, and he will come and pick it up. The next response is that it is in some shipping depot ready to be shipped with the shipping paid. I have quit responding to these adds now. The only thing I get from these adds now is what type of wheels might look good on my bike. Some of the bikes look pretty good.

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea, i see lots of those too, i asked about a sleds and i get the exact same reply, what they do is they get the VIN from a sled that is for sale and pritty much re-sell the sled.
BASTARDS!!!!!!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Hi there,

The RZR is still for sale.. Thanks for being interested in buying my 2009 POLARIS RANGER RZR 800 EFI 4X4. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been implicated in any accidents, no problems at the engine, runs very well. It has an 800 CC engine, 495 miles, clear title, a perfect RZR. The price is not negotiable, $4,400.00 firm. The only thing because I am selling it, because I divorced with my husband and after the divorce I own this UTV, now as a woman I don`t need it...

I can provide vin # to check on your own. Just let me know if you are still interested.

Thank you very much,
Suzanne McGarity

Hear that LADIES??????????

Back to the kitchen........................ ;)

Last edited:

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
find a fake ad, post the listing so we we can all have fun with the seller, good times on the net!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking for A UTV last summer ..

10 out of 10 of any thing that was a good deal on Autotrader was one of these scammers.

They never have the machine where its listed. always requires Shipping.
Always Want to use E-bay motors.
always out of town / province / country.

How the hell are they getting away with this i wonder?

Man people would have to be slightly retarded to take some of the deals these guys offer.

honda680manitoba

Reaction score
i had that happen to me. i called there and he said he had it in germany and all i had to do was pick it up. dont buy unless u can see it before ur eyes

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what does that have to do with this discussion?

were talking about frauds that post atvs below average prices and then try to scam your ass saying they are in USA or Mexico but there bike is in another province than you are but they will ship it to you.. the second they get the cash they take it out of their bank accounts and bail out.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
I also was nearly ripped off. I posted a sled for sale in the autotrader. A guy called and said he would be by on friday night late as he was coming from 3 hrs away to check it out and perhaps buy it. He shows up in a rental truck around 11pm....

Takes a look at the sled (highly modified hill climber) doesn't ask a question about cc's, mixing fuel, race gas, how to start it or anything that normally would come to mind for a sled like this, and says he'll take it, it's perfect. I asked how he'd pay (I was expecting some haggling on price, but that didn't come up), he pulls out a blank check (no address on it, like one you get with a new account), I asked for ID and credit card so I could approve the money until the check cleared. He says he forgot his license and he gives me a card with no raised lettering nor a magnetic strip on back?? I explained I could not go any further with the deal and I'd happily take his check, let it clear the bank, and I'd personally deliver the sled to 3 hrs away in a few days once I had the funds. I had a proper bill of sale all filled out with VIN and all that.

He got really mad said I was wasting his time and his drive, immediately his old lady ran to the truck and once he realized I wasn't letting it go, they zoomed off.

Frekkin guy had balls trying to rip someone off face to face like that.

He did leave me a business card, so after calling the cops (who did nothing since no crime was actually committed), i called his work....he was fired 3 months previous and they were looking for him as he still had $10K of equipment they were trying to recover. Hopefully he didn't suck someone in, although he was a bit stupid to be convincing.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I also was nearly ripped off. I posted a sled for sale in the autotrader. A guy called and said he would be by on friday night late as he was coming from 3 hrs away to check it out and perhaps buy it. He shows up in a rental truck around 11pm....

Takes a look at the sled (highly modified hill climber) doesn't ask a question about cc's, mixing fuel, race gas, how to start it or anything that normally would come to mind for a sled like this, and says he'll take it, it's perfect. I asked how he'd pay (I was expecting some haggling on price, but that didn't come up), he pulls out a blank check (no address on it, like one you get with a new account), I asked for ID and credit card so I could approve the money until the check cleared. He says he forgot his license and he gives me a card with no raised lettering nor a magnetic strip on back?? I explained I could not go any further with the deal and I'd happily take his check, let it clear the bank, and I'd personally deliver the sled to 3 hrs away in a few days once I had the funds. I had a proper bill of sale all filled out with VIN and all that.

He got really mad said I was wasting his time and his drive, immediately his old lady ran to the truck and once he realized I wasn't letting it go, they zoomed off.

Frekkin guy had balls trying to rip someone off face to face like that.

He did leave me a business card, so after calling the cops (who did nothing since no crime was actually committed), i called his work....he was fired 3 months previous and they were looking for him as he still had $10K of equipment they were trying to recover. Hopefully he didn't suck someone in, although he was a bit stupid to be convincing.

Rule of thumb.... Cash or Bank draft ONLY..............

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they can write a check they can bring you cash.

The only real way to know the $ is yours is a check.

if online use paypal only they will back you up.

Emt Worker

Reaction score
I heard with Ebay, if the thing that you are buying was posted on Ebay then you are covered by their guarantee. If you pay for something through them that wasn't on the web site you aren't protected. Just what I heard. Is this true?

Top Bottom