Fort McMurray 2011/2012

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snow conditions around town suck. I was wondering if anyone knows what the conitons are like around stoney mountian area? :beer:
As soon as the winter road to fort chip opens I will be heading up to soon what the conditions are like around lower six lakes and uppersix lakes, i'll keep ya posted.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I`m wondering about the area that burnt this summer. I know it wasnt your club trail area but for the random riders is it going to be affected???

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The area that was burnt was Richardson backcountry also known as six lakes. I have buddies that ATVed in there in the fall and camped should be good to go for snowmobiling! This is the area I'm hoping to do most of my sledding in. There were a few smaller fires close to town, havent heard if that will affect any riding(hopefuly a good sign).

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
finally got some snow. A good 6", not as much as I wanted but it's a start.

codey525

Reaction score
The six lakes area should be good to go for sleds as far as the fire is concerned. I camped up there 4 night and rode quad for 5 days up there in early August and it was excellent riding. Pretty black, but no affect on the trails. Would definalty like to get a update on that area, now that we have some snow in town, I was wondering what it's like up there. As well as Stoney mountain, hoping to ride there the 22/23 of December.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fort chip winter road is open now. I'll be heading up that way mid january.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went for a short rip yesterday. Unloaded in waterways and took the old railroad trail out to Sapree creek. This trail is very rough right now, So we rode the Clearwater river on the way back much smoother. Anyone know what the conditions are like out at stoney??

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother is up around Marianna Lakes and says they got hammered with snow last night. Tried taking a pic with his phone.

Attachments

• hwy 63.jpg
    hwy 63.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 305

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the trail from the ski hill to Anzac yet?
Also hear across the Clear Water from the Snye Park has snow.
Out behind Abasand on the hog's back or drop down the old bitumen site behind Abasand and cross the creek then follow the trail it'll take you along the Athabasca to the Cascade rapids.
Went for a short rip yesterday. Unloaded in waterways and took the old railroad trail out to Sapree creek. This trail is very rough right now, So we rode the Clearwater river on the way back much smoother. Anyone know what the conditions are like out at stoney??

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the trail from the ski hill to Anzac yet?
Also hear across the Clear Water from the Snye Park has snow.
Out behind Abasand on the hog's back or drop down the old bitumen site behind Abasand and cross the creek then follow the trail it'll take you along the Athabasca to the Cascade rapids.

I haven't been on the trail from the ski hill to Anzac yet, but if they haven't started grooming yet it will probably be rough just liike the old rail road track from waterways to the ski hill. They say on the local clud site they will be grooming it next week. here's a link on the trail conitions

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found lots of untouched snow in the Richardson Backcountry.

Attachments

• Net Lake 012.jpg
    Net Lake 012.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Net Lake 010.jpg
    Net Lake 010.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 156

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's one more:D. We put on 120 miles on our sleds in 2 days.

Attachments

• Net Lake 016.jpg
    Net Lake 016.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 152

Badnews

Reaction score
Ok... just google maped it. Where do you guys unload? Do you just drive north on 63 untill the roads ends and find a spot to unload?

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just head north on highway 63, it'll turn into a nice gravel after auroa syncrude site, and then it becomes a winter road to fort chipewyan after the kearl lake site. People usually call the area six lakes. Its roughly 150km drive form town. you'll see lots of little signs on each side of the road with names of lakes on them. just find a good spot to unload by one of the signs and follow trail(they are ATV trails in the summer). Lots of untouched powder, we know the area pretty well from riding the trails and camping their in the summer. Most of the lakes are between fire bag river and the richardson river. the fire bag river is about 15 to 20km past the kearl lake site turn off.

Badnews

Reaction score
Sweet ... good to hear ! Once we get out of this deep freeze, I'll be heading up there for a rip for sure!

Top Bottom