Forster/Catamount Closure

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe.... hopefully ....but the same rumor has been around for 2 yrs.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tourism Radium has a full page add I'n KMC's winter issue advertising the opening of Catamount with a hiker... Weird did they not get the memo it was only closed to sledding....

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tourism Radium has a full page add I'n KMC's winter issue advertising the opening of Catamount with a hiker... Weird did they not get the memo it was only closed to sledding....
oh they knew, they rolled the dice that a deal would be done by the time the publications came out..... they forgot that dealing with the gov around here takes a very long time.

by the way dwh area was unreal today

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DWH?

Any word on whats going on with the glacier?

DWH is the Dave White Hut on the north side of the valley.

Even if the powers that be decide to open catamount it won't be until February 15.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too bad its a waste of half of this season eh.
theres still guys going up there, i wont name names but a few guys from this area were in to the back of the glacier. what happens if they get caught up there?

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too bad its a waste of half of this season eh.
theres still guys going up there, i wont name names but a few guys from this area were in to the back of the glacier. what happens if they get caught up there?

The story I heard was it is a $200 fine per person if could. That's probably wrong but it's what I heard. Even more damaging is it's another black eye for the sport in general.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pay $200 bucks to ride there
no prob
lol
blue bird day only of course

its that good up there

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pay $200 bucks to ride there
no prob
lol
blue bird day only of course

its that good up there

That type of attitude is what I'm talking about. Non compliance to the rules gives the people trying to shut down our riding areas more ammunition for their fight.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, pisses me off when fockers, local or not, disrespect closures. It makes it very difficult for us to stand up to the powers that be that are trying to shut us out the mountains.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i don't agree with the closure but i really disagree with people disregarding the rules and going wherever the please. gives sledders in whole a bad name. if we cant respect the rules we have no they're only going to get stricter.
Its sad tho when a place like catamount is only ever used by the heli skiers when all their other areas are to socked in or have bad snow. that area is on a perfect day with 3 feet of fresh snow is what got me hooked on sledding. darn addictions.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 feet of fresh is the same in the meadows as it is on the glacier....... deep.

heli ops garuntee fresh snow each run, they need huge areas to do this. difference with catamount is the heli op has not flown in there for many yrs, if they were it would not be on the table for sled use. use it or lose it.

lots of reasons for the feb 15 date, many yrs you can't get up there till then anyway due to snow conditions and without experience glaciers are a dangerous place with a thin snowpack. been a few sleds dropped into crevasses up there.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wa wa wa
i will send pics of how bad ass my weekend will be
lol
its like one of a thousand glaciers out there
let them shut it down so I will be forced to go further in the back country and find a better one

ps
u will always be looked apon as a drunk skid on a snowmobile and frowned apon
no matter how proper u think u are or act
those peeps that make the rules don't care about sledding and would like it gone
this land is my land
Use it or lose it

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the feb 15 date has a lot to do with prairie folk not dying in early season avalanches. At least make them make it a couple of months into the new year before their stupidity burdens themselves or someone else. Don't just give the idiots free range of killing themselves to make a bad name of opening up some more advanced terrain in a highly popular day use area.

At the least there are some people out there that don't need to rely on trail grooming and dumby tracks to make avalanche decisions. Those people have probably been up there a zillion times and other unlisted places without an advertisment pointing them to it. All in all, who cares. The heli op has never used it in the 15 years I have been going up there and as a tax paying canadian citizen who has has sledded east to west, north to south for 50-100 days a year since 96 I say f#k em its my land to enjoy too. FYI in most parts of BC the heli ops let sleds have access to their terrain tenure. They just ski it the first day they can before the sleds tear it up after the storm. Just enjoy it responsibly and leave no trace. Use your head, make your own judgements and know how to self rescue. I don't believe in specialized privleges for the rich paying customer, however I would respect environmental and wildlife closures without a problem. Make your own choice.

Last edited:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wa wa wa
i will send pics of how bad ass my weekend will be
lol
its like one of a thousand glaciers out there
let them shut it down so I will be forced to go further in the back country and find a better one

ps
u will always be looked apon as a drunk skid on a snowmobile and frowned apon
no matter how proper u think u are or act
those peeps that make the rules don't care about sledding and would like it gone
this land is my land
Use it or lose it

I think the feb 15 date has a lot to do with prairie folk not dying in early season avalanches. At least make them make it a couple of months into the new year before their stupidity burdens themselves or someone else. Don't just give the idiots free range of killing themselves to make a bad name of opening up some more advanced terrain in a highly popular day use area.

At the least there are some people out there that don't need to rely on trail grooming and dumby tracks to make avalanche decisions. Those people have probably been up there a zillion times and other unlisted places without an advertisment pointing them to it. All in all, who cares. The heli op has never used it in the 15 years I have been going up there and as a tax paying canadian citizen who has has sledded east to west, north to south for 50-100 days a year since 96 I say f#k em its my land to enjoy too. Just enjoy it responsibly and leave no trace. Use your head, make your own judgements and know how to self rescue. I don't believe in specialized privleges for the rich paying customer, however I would respect environmental and wildlife closures without a problem. Make your own choice.

With entitlist douche bag attitudes like that we're all going to be sledding in chicken coupe the size of Maclean Creek in a couple of years.

teamdirt- congrats on being so anti-mainstream you need to brag about it on a public forum.

RushtheRocks

Reaction score

At the least there are some people out there that don't need to rely on trail grooming and dumby tracks to make avalanche decisions. Those people have probably been up there a zillion times and other unlisted places without an advertisment pointing them to it. All in all, who cares. The heli op has never used it in the 15 years I have been going up there and as a tax paying canadian citizen who has has sledded east to west, north to south for 50-100 days a year since 96 I say f#k em its my land to enjoy too. Just enjoy it responsibly and leave no trace. Use your head, make your own judgements and know how to self rescue. I don't believe in specialized privleges for the rich paying customer, however I would respect environmental and wildlife closures without a problem. Make your own choice.

Yes because ONLY prairie riders die in avy's, crevasses.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will send u pics on Monday when I get back from their
k

Top Bottom