foreman 450es starting trouble

essexeagle

Reaction score
i have a 2000 450es that won't start. the battery appeared dead (and old) so i replaced it. it started a couple times and the battery died(or so i thought). the battery tested as fully charged but the dash would not light at all. so i figured alternator is dead. but when it did turnover a few times, it clicked loudly. so i figured starter/solenoid. but that would not explain the electrical problem. i can start it by using the pull start. any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks!

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry im confused does it turn over with the starter, or does the starter not engage either?

essexeagle

Reaction score
It used to turn over but barely. now there is nothing when i turn the key...no lights on the control panel, nothing. the battery seems dead. however, the last time it did have some life, it did click loudly when trying to turn over.

essexeagle

Reaction score
This morning is a good example of what is happening. I turned it on. The battery appears dead (nothing lights up at all). i pull start it and it starts up. It runs fine, do some chores, return home and I turn it off. When i press the start button, it clicks a bunch but does not turn over at all but the lights are all on and working. i pull start it and it starts up fine. I did check the battery cables and they appear fine. I will double check them today.

Thanks for all the help.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the lights stay on when you hit the start button? If so, the problem is at the starter relay (part that clicks under the seat) or the starter itself. If they lights go out when you hit the starter button, then there is a problem in the wiring, the battery does not have a good charge, or the starter is shorting out internally.

Top Bottom