FORD POWERBOOST

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have one? My father in law had his freeze up in the cold snap up north... the hybrid electric side works great but the 12v battery wouldn't start the engine... boosted it...hybrid kicks in and engine off... wont start the engine again... So he replaced the battery, drove it to Edmonton and it still wont hold 12v... dropped from 12.6 to 11.7 in 4 hours after parked... There's a second 12V battery that they cant source... maybe its frozen? too many wires lol... 3 batteries... yikes...

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing that's making this difficult is it automatically kicks into Hybrid, if there was a better way to stop that... Dealer says no way to reprogram that stuff... I wish it would just stay running on motor...

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It cant be done because it involves re- engineering...

They are drafting up a recall this spring...

All Ford Power Boost owners are now advised too buy a Honda Generator so they can plug in an electric heater and cell phone charger too call in a tow truck while they wait for 2 days for the hook...

Its recommended that all owners carry a truck box full of fire wood and matches in the glove box...

Lawn chair is an option as well...

Light a bon-fire in the middle of the hwy so other motorists know your broke down and doing the best you can...

If you are in dire need of assistance you can call 1-800- Ford- Hot line to speak too our East Indian call center in which you will not receive any help from them since they don't speak very good English...

None of our trained staff own Ford Power Boost units due too forth coming recall...

Thank you for your patience and understanding as We at Ford India take this matter very serious..

Further up-dates too follow...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbour is on his second one. He had an issue with last years when it got cold. Would not start, showed battery dead. Ford did some update over Fordpass and it seemed to fix the issue. No problems with his current one.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 21 powerboost on my second winter with it. Only issue seems to be the electric motor is loud for a minute or so on cold starts. As for the 2 12v batteries they are just tied in parallel to give extra capacity for increased start stop and 12v accessories when running on eclectic only. You can disconnect either and the truck will still run form what I have read. The small 12v under the rear seat just looks like a sled battery so shouldn’t be hard to find something to replace that. I will say there definitely needs to be an option to run gas only on the cold similar to turning off the auto start/stop on most new vehicles. Hoping it never leaves me stranded but until then I will continue to drive it without worry! May I should carry a couple spare batteries for long trips in cold weather 🤔

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update, took my truck in for service and dealer completed a TSB that Ford claims fixes the noise on cold start and so far it has worked.

Top Bottom