Ford Exhaust manifold studs

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard that the factory stock exhaust manifold studs on Ford 5.4L engines are poor and oftern break from expansion and contraction. I can testify for this - I have had them replaced on 2 previous trucks. I had them repalced at Park Muffler in Sherwood Park ain the past nd they have been very good. I now live down south (Airdrie) and I am looling for a good exhaust shop to replace the exhaust manifold bolts.on my current truck with a 5.4L I heard all the horror stories about this job being done incorrectly and busting off studs in the head and making a mess to remove the stud etc. Ford now offers the upgraded stud that is suppose to be better. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers:beer::beer::beer:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year ford is it. I have done lots of 5.4 3v and the studs dont really ever brake off, that was more so on the 2v. If you have a whole day and are good with tools the they arent bad to do. A good idea would be to put all new ford equip on it, I have never had any come back leaks they usually hold up once they have been done.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best replacement on the diesels for aftermarket is arp studs.....i would guess they make them for the gas engines as well....

good luck

Terry

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did my passenger side manifold yesterday. What a job!! The studs were not broken, but the manifold had warped. It took me 5 hours to replace it.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pass side is the easy side, helps to undo the 2 motor mount nuts on the pass side and jack the motor up on that side. Makes it much easier to remove the studs and manifold.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what i ment the new engines in the 2011 look pretty gravy. lots of under hood room.

Top Bottom