For the ladies that have been injured - opinons needed please

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I know it will take time, patience, encouragement, and a bunch of support to get my riding partner back, and she may never be at the same level she was. I can accept this, as I'm in it for the long haul - after 23 yrs of marriage and two great kids, I really am not complaining about my "better half", because she IS the better half. Arthritis sucks and affects mobility, and there may be underlying conditions (fears) that I'm unaware of, or simply loss of interest. Trail riding would be ok I suppose, but neither sled is an ideal trail sled - both were built for the steep and deep. Never much snow around home, either. Can anyone suggest an area or mtn that is very "user friendly", that could help build confidence? I'm thinking because she never injured herself on the sled, that perhaps she had a good scare I don't know about...

I was thinking the same thing. A good, comfortable trail sled might be what she has grown into. I would rcommend something with a shorter track and cushy suspension. My XP 146" ate up the trails compared to my M8 162", and was still a ton of fun on the hill. the extra track width gave stability on the trail and more floatation for the steep and deep, plus a little easier to throw around. You could also look at an after-market suspension if she wants to keep her sled. I tried a K-mod last year and it was pretty plush on the trail.

I hope you get your riding buddy back :)

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an area just southwest of Whitecourt off the Robinson road area. It has a mix of everything you can take it easy or you can make it hard. It is one on my favourite places to go. My friend Doug showed me and a lot of other people this area and I have loved going there for both Quadding and Sledding ( it is Rsaints back yard. ) Doug has unfortunately passed but we put a cross up to commemorate his gift to us. I think it is a great area for you to get her confidence back. As soon as there is enough snow I will be introducing my wife to this area as she finally broke down and is joining the rest of us outdoorsy nutcases.

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed...alot of great advice given here. I too am a sledder that has had a few nasty accidents, injuring myself and doing plenty of damage to my sleds. As mentioned every person is different, we treat and deal with events completely different. I once my body healed, helped my hubby piece my sleds back together and got right back at it. Cautious at first but not for long... I believe that she #1 has decided that the extreme part of sledding is no longer for her and maybe a nice intermediate pace is for her now or #2 she did have some experience that she would rather not talk about. Either way she need encouragement and let her choose the "where and when." Good luck and hope it all works out for you and her both (I could not imagine what my hubby would do if I gave up riding, I truly think he would too) ugh.... Let her read some of these comments. Let her see that we all have shared in these experiences.

One more suggestion...one of my accidents involved my knees...I now ride with proper knee protection and chest protection...that helped me immensly!!!

sassymudbug

Reaction score
I am not a sledder.... yet. My hubby is working on me :) But I did have a nasty quad accident this last June, I tore my hip flexors, whip lash, concussion, and other sprained body parts. I was lucky though, I had a great crew with me, and they got me back on my quad before I could scare myself into thinking I couldn't do it. I very slowly drove back to the truck but I made it on my own. I hurt for many weeks but once I was healing I wasn't worried that I couldn't ride anymore. The physical damage it bad enough to deal with but the mental damage to an accident is far more debilitating. My advice is to show that you are willing to take it slow and that you will completely support that she may never be the rider that she once was. I also use aromatherapy and essential oils to help me out. I know that if I hadn't had to ride my way out, I probably wouldn't have gone out on 5 more quadding trips and would never have tried that hill again, there are times though that I have gotten my loving hubby to bring my machine up a hill for me. :)

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can understand your fear, Last year I met an accident because of someone rash driving. I have serious spinal injuries . It was very scary incident of my life.

St Petersburg Lawyers

^^^^^^ Anyone thinking the same thing as me?? lol

Ive been lucky "injury" wise but I'm still semi new to quadding and really new to sledding. But my man makes all the difference. He always says he will save me and just try it whatever it is, hill, swamp, and now snow with the sled. It makes me feel allot better about trying new things cause he will come and save me and has on numerous occations. Having a good support group makes all the difference.:)

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out this weekend with a local couple, and the wife was in a sledding accident last year that scared her enough to make her almost want to give up snowmobiling. She said she had only been out once since the incident and wouldn't stray from the trail.

Her husband let her ride his XP for the day and I worked with her on some throttle control and foot placement, and practiced a bit of carving. By the end of the day they were talking about a new sled for her, and she had a grin from ear to ear. I was bouncing off the trail into the trees on the way out, and she was right behind me the whole way. She looked so much more comfortable and confident on the sled on the way home than on the way up, and she was even game to take a tricky route out, which she handled no problem.

Her experience triggered something in her that was a real fear for her, and I think getting her confidence built back up is key.

fairweathersledder

Reaction score
This is a great thread. I had knee surgery Dec 1, 2011 and sold my sled before surgery because I knew I would not be able to go out at all this year. Now I am having a hard time with wondering if I will be able to go out next season and if I should snow-check a new one or wait until next winter and just buy one. It is going to be a hard decision, I love sledding but this winter I got so comfortable being at home by myself when hubby went out that I am wondering what to do. That and if my knee is going to be able to take the abuse from sledding. It has only been three months post-op and I will definately have to wait some time to see how everything is going to work out. Looks like I may have answered my own question right there. But the mental anticipation of knowing what could happen is always in the back of my mind. I wrecked my knee about 4 times sledding and I know how bad it feels but yet I know how the feel of powder under a track and the 'floating' feeling is as well. It will be quite the toss-up!

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my bestest riding buddy ever had knee surgery last season... She's back on the snow now... it's def a little rougher and we have to take it easy on the REALLY nasty whoops... and she's a little nervous about putting her knee in funky positions but she's kicking butt on it and learning how to ride and protect it just a little bit (she has a tough time with wrong foot forward stuff in heavy snow cause it jams her knee and really hurts...) Plus she hit her first jump last weekend with me (and she hurt it by having a flat landing on a jump), she was pretty nervous and called it 'good for the day' after that.... so she's easing into it... point is she's out there and LOVING it!!! and just taking it slow easing her knee into it!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I had knee surgery Dec 1, 2011 and sold my sled before surgery because I knew I would not be able to go out at all this year. Now I am having a hard time with wondering if I will be able to go out next season and if I should snow-check a new one or wait until next winter and just buy one. It is going to be a hard decision, I love sledding but this winter I got so comfortable being at home by myself when hubby went out that I am wondering what to do. That and if my knee is going to be able to take the abuse from sledding. It has only been three months post-op and I will definately have to wait some time to see how everything is going to work out. Looks like I may have answered my own question right there. But the mental anticipation of knowing what could happen is always in the back of my mind. I wrecked my knee about 4 times sledding and I know how bad it feels but yet I know how the feel of powder under a track and the 'floating' feeling is as well. It will be quite the toss-up!

I had ACL reconstruction at the beginning of May 09...and was able to ride by end of December 09, I timed my surgery around sledding season:p. Rehabbed it (although I could have done more), by following their rehab plan for the nine months and it had enough strength for riding that season. At nine months is when it can be strong enough to start using for most activities. I use a light brace still, and find slight sprains occur if I don't. Mine was done with my hamstring as the replacement ligament so that's where I find the sprains occur as my hamstring isn't as strong as it used to be. I could be working it more to avoid this, so my fault there. ;) I am still more tentative with more technical moves on my right side board that involve soley using my left leg (the repaired one) but am working on this everytime I go out. My surgery used disolving screws so after two years, which is the time they determine to be when your ligament has bonded with your bone, they simply disolve and you rely on the replaced ligament. Up until then there's the extra strength of the screws to hold you together LOL. I'm not a big dropper/jumper but do put alot of stress on my knees when riding and it's holding up well. It's all in the rehab. :) You'll be surprised at how much improves in the next few months. Good luck, hope you're riding next season!

luv2ride

Reaction score
I injured my back pretty bad in 2004, one of my discs ruptured and my spinal cord was compressed. I had to be flown to the U of A in Edmonton and was partially paralyzed for 6 hours. My neurosurgeons explained to me that I had no underlying conditions (arthritis, disc degeneration) I was plain and simple just abusing my spine. Up to that point I rode racing quads and short track sleds because my favorite thing was launching as far and high as possible. It took me a long time to ride aggressively after that, and to this day I still will not jump. For some reason it is just always in the back of my head and I NEVER want to feel that way again!! (I have had 2 kids and I would take childbirth over that) So the outcome for me was a different style of riding. Maybe she is afraid to injure herself again or further and she just needs to try a new "style" of riding. Maybe a crossover machine is the answer. More stable and better suspension on the trails and if / when she is ready to venture off the trail she still can. Best of luck to you both!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the replies and comments. Her M8 will be for sale in the fall, and I will replace it with a smaller / lighter machine - such as an e-tech 600 w/ e-start in hopes that the weaker power delivery and lighter chassis will be easier for her to ride, and perhaps the excitement of a new sled will fuel the desire to ride. She only managed to get out for one ride this season, and I suspect that the M8 was a bit intimidating due to the horsepower and track length, and it is an aggresive chassis to ride. Do any of you ride an e-tech 600? She previously had a 600X (carbed) that was stupid fast, are the e-techs similar in power delivery? Thoughts / comments are appreciated

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New plan - honey decided to snow check a 600 ProRMK 155 ES, her M8 is now in the classifieds...she's pretty stoked about the new sled after seeing it at the Mayfield, and laughed her ass off when she watched me pick up the front end of an M1100 turbo (which I snowchecked). Now it appears I'm off to the gym and on a diet...:rant:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had ACL reconstruction at the beginning of May 09...and was able to ride by end of December 09, I timed my surgery around sledding season:p. Rehabbed it (although I could have done more), by following their rehab plan for the nine months and it had enough strength for riding that season. At nine months is when it can be strong enough to start using for most activities. I use a light brace still, and find slight sprains occur if I don't. Mine was done with my hamstring as the replacement ligament so that's where I find the sprains occur as my hamstring isn't as strong as it used to be. I could be working it more to avoid this, so my fault there. ;) I am still more tentative with more technical moves on my right side board that involve soley using my left leg (the repaired one) but am working on this everytime I go out. My surgery used disolving screws so after two years, which is the time they determine to be when your ligament has bonded with your bone, they simply disolve and you rely on the replaced ligament. Up until then there's the extra strength of the screws to hold you together LOL. I'm not a big dropper/jumper but do put alot of stress on my knees when riding and it's holding up well. It's all in the rehab. :) You'll be surprised at how much improves in the next few months. Good luck, hope you're riding next season!

WOW, Tam. I didn't realize that you had an ACL reconstruction. That is a BIGGIE. I didn't realize that there were such a thing as dissolving screws either? WOW!

I just happened to be looking through old threads and seen this one. Well, I guess you could say I was quite badly injured in May 2012. I was back on my sled in early November. It took courage, perseverance, and the help of family and friends to get me back to where I am today. I almost lost my leg in a side by side accident. I severed my MCL, and blew out my leg at the knee all the way around. 100+ stitches, metal screws attaching ligament to bone, 3 surgeries and 5 months of rehab, I am almost back to where I was before my accident. I will never have 100% ROM, but considering that the surgeons told me that I would be lucky to even walk normally again....I count many blessings to be able to do the things I can do today. Getting back on my sled was of the utmost importance to me...I have practically been on sleds my WHOLE life, it was NOT an option to simply give up and let depression, resentment and feelings of "why me?" take over. I had to get back and as quickly as possible. I was NOT going to let this injury control me! Surprisingly, I have ridden in the most deep powder days already this season, and my leg holds up really well. I'm not saying it's totally pain-free, will probably never be, but I believe I can ride as well as I used to before the accident.....and I'm not fearful at all. Put me back in a side by side (which will probably never happen) and that's another story.....:(

canamgirl

Reaction score
It for sure takes time. I hurt myself bad on my old YFZ450 was riding on a dried up lake but i hit a wet spot and my front tires dug into the mud and sent me flying 10 feet.. knocked right out hurt myself bad.. took me a couple weekends to get back on my quad.. but pressure from my other half made me do it.. I didnt want to be left behind... Another time i was racing and couldnt turn fast enough hit a barn hurt really bad.. but the pressure from everyone to keep riding made me not give up..
So my advice is keep asking her to come with you.. ride easy for a bit of the day and then by the end she will be back to her normal self.. I felt like the pressure made me want to show the boys I was tough and kept riding.. I sold the YFZ and bought a renegade now i like to play in the mud no more racing!

Top Bottom