For the ladies that have been injured - opinons needed please

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question: how do you get your confidence back after an injury / scary ride? A prequel: A very good friend of mine had a knee injury a year or two back, and was out of the saddle for a bit. Regression has set in, and she's pretty nervous to ride now, which sucks, cause she's the best riding partner I've ever had - never bailed out on a trip. I've been told to "just go with the guys", but I feel guilty for doing so, and just want my riding buddy back. Any advice or tips? I was thinking about a new sled for her to create excitement, but the M8 she has has about 20K into it, and maybe only 1000 miles on the clock - not sure if that would fly.
Thanks in advance.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was the nature of her injury? Is it something that is still painful, or has she had a full recovery?

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I almost flipped my quad on a steep hill, with my son on the back a couple years ago, scared the crap outta me !!! But found only way to get over it was get back out riding...............but now if I'm unsure of a hill, I won't do it, or will make hubby take my quad up and I will hike.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sound like my wife! There are several ways to get over it. Get back in the saddle and force yourself or do it gradually. No two people are the same. Your friend has to want to get back it other wise you are just wasting your time. Hope for the best for you.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was the nature of her injury? Is it something that is still painful, or has she had a full recovery?
Well, we both have osteoarthritis (aging sucks), but she had an impact on her knee (not while sledding), and it took some time before she was able to get around (lots of physio, yoga, etc.) I think her knees are as good as they're gonna get, and I'm willing to slack off on the pace for sure (more boondocking, less hillclimbing). Just hard to get her back in the saddle. We went out once this year (very lousy weather - socked in), and actually never unloaded the machines from the trailer. I have no problem staying off the mountain in poor weather, but seems that she's nervous about riding again?

DragonDiva

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can share my experience...I busted my collarbone quite badly sledding 2 years ago. It didn't turn me off sledding but it did suck missing the entire season of riding since I did it on the second day out. Last year, I was more timid over certain things. Halfway thru last year, I did switch sleds (stole the husband's new ProRMK). I felt significantly more comfortable on that sled and didn't have any negative memories associated to it. I did recover completely but last year did still have some weakness thru my shoulder. This summer/fall, I started a serious workout schedule with a personal trainer and it has made a huge difference. We were out for our first ride last weekend and I was doing things that I hadn't last year. When it came to something that I initially was intimidated with, I did the "talk" to worry first but if I am going to go...do it 100%. I am very happy that I made the switch to the newer and significantly lighter sled. It has made the biggest difference for me.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, we both have osteoarthritis (aging sucks), but she had an impact on her knee (not while sledding), and it took some time before she was able to get around (lots of physio, yoga, etc.) I think her knees are as good as they're gonna get, and I'm willing to slack off on the pace for sure (more boondocking, less hillclimbing). Just hard to get her back in the saddle. We went out once this year (very lousy weather - socked in), and actually never unloaded the machines from the trailer. I have no problem staying off the mountain in poor weather, but seems that she's nervous about riding again?
Women are extremely tough mentaly and physicaly. My concerns with injuries are never about the physical pain. My only concern with injuries is how it's going to effect other aspects of my life, work, and having an active lifestyle. I would imagine women with kids have an even greater fear of being able to provide for their families. It's possible she's risking injuring herself further by riding, and the risk is just not worth it. Hopefuly she just feels out of loop and out of practice. Be patient and let her set the pace. Don't push her out of her comfort zone, even if it is just the parking lot and no further.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Well, I'm not a woman but I had a bad experience. A few years ago, I pretty much took my arm off at the elbow, shattered the joint without breaking the skin, severing the nerves and muscles while I was dirtbiking. For me, It took many years to get it all working again with strength. I got back on motorized things as soon as I could hold onto the bars again, just going slow around the yard a long, long time. The confidence comes back slowly but surely. Just have to keep at it and time will take care of things. Everyone handles it a little different.

Last edited:

Aarone

Reaction score
Its very bad for woman.
Women are extremely tough mentally and physically. My concerns with injuries are never about the physical pain.
Take care Yourself.
Thanks for sharing.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think women have it tougher, in that men are expected to tough it out while women(supposedly) get to take the easy way out. As for women being tougher, If men had babies we would be dead after the first one. Hats off to the ladies who put up with our crap and still get out there and have fun!

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my daughter inlaw. She wiped out really bad the last ride of the seaon 2010/2011. She got hurt pretty bad , totalled her sled and 2 others( long story). Any way we took her out a couple of times last year , just on trails and she could not get back on the throttle. This year she doesn't even want to ride. My husband and I use to ride alot with our son and daughter inlaw and she was shaping up to be a really good rider , but now.............. ?????? I have got hurt a few times rideing, I broke my arm 2 1/2 hrs from town and as soon as I could, I was back on my sled. I would love to hear also from some people who have concured their fear. Would love to have one of my favorite riding partners back.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, I'm not saying women are tougher than men. We just handle pain differently. We don't usually talk about it, we just smile and live with it.If she's not willing to get back on the horse, then there might be more to it.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed with others that she's going to have to WANT to get back into it. And don't push to hard about it. Is there anywhere closer to home u could begin trail riding just to get her a bit of a feel for the sled? lakes or meadows, smaller rolling hills. things that are easy but fun, might help her get the bug back about sledding. Getting past fear is hard to lead someone through, but if you continue to be encouraging, take baby steps and support her, i'm sure she can come around.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that you need to encourage her............but take baby steps. I am still leery of some hills..........and I know it frustrates my husband at times.........but better to go at ones own pace to rebuild confidence :)

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, I'm not saying women are tougher than men. We just handle pain differently. We don't usually talk about it, we just smile and live with it.If she's not willing to get back on the horse, then there might be more to it.

That there is funny stuff, if my wife has an in grown hair you would think the world is coming to an end, yet when I was in bed for a day with the mexican I'm dying flu I was the wimp....

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed with others that she's going to have to WANT to get back into it. And don't push to hard about it. Is there anywhere closer to home u could begin trail riding just to get her a bit of a feel for the sled? lakes or meadows, smaller rolling hills. things that are easy but fun, might help her get the bug back about sledding. Getting past fear is hard to lead someone through, but if you continue to be encouraging, take baby steps and support her, i'm sure she can come around.

Agreed!!! I had a nasty quadding accident a few years back... took 2 years before I rode one again.... don't push her... if she wants to come back she will.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a melting of worlds a couple of years ago. I am a sledder, through and through.. and I was a hippie witch doctor kind of person for a living as well. I did Massage, made aromatherapy products and taught meditation. A woman came to me who had a bad crash, the memory of which still haunted her. All of the what ifs seemed to plague her each time she went out sledding. We did a meditation/visualization exercise for her.

Step 1. Visualizing the actual incident- by recalling the actual event in her mind she was able to face her fear rather than constantly trying to push it away. Relive that moment of terror, physical pain, to confront it. The more we mentally push something away the more it chases us in our every day life, contaminating what could be a joyous situation.

Step 2. As we visualized the positive end result I diffused specific essential oils for relaxation while we talked about her healing. The way her peeps helped her out. Finally being over the physical struggles. Lavender, Neroli, geranium, Fir and Pine (because that's what we sledders often smell in nature) to link everything together as a peaceful calm state.

Step 3. The kick Azz stage. We pictured kick azz goals such as Climbing that hill that kicked her butt, side hilling, jumps... and with this visualization I let loose awesome strong exhilarating scents such as cinnamon, Orange, and clove. Scents that make you want to release your inner woo hooo ing.

While riding, if she has anxiety, she uses the calming blend. One drop on her balaclava or inside her helmet for example. If she wants to bring it up a notch, the woo hooooo blend! It really helps to Picture the positive. If you can visualize it, it can be your reality. Face your fear, conquer them mentally, and when you need support reach out and ask for it.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I know it will take time, patience, encouragement, and a bunch of support to get my riding partner back, and she may never be at the same level she was. I can accept this, as I'm in it for the long haul - after 23 yrs of marriage and two great kids, I really am not complaining about my "better half", because she IS the better half. Arthritis sucks and affects mobility, and there may be underlying conditions (fears) that I'm unaware of, or simply loss of interest. Trail riding would be ok I suppose, but neither sled is an ideal trail sled - both were built for the steep and deep. Never much snow around home, either. Can anyone suggest an area or mtn that is very "user friendly", that could help build confidence? I'm thinking because she never injured herself on the sled, that perhaps she had a good scare I don't know about...

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I know it will take time, patience, encouragement, and a bunch of support to get my riding partner back, and she may never be at the same level she was. I can accept this, as I'm in it for the long haul - after 23 yrs of marriage and two great kids, I really am not complaining about my "better half", because she IS the better half. Arthritis sucks and affects mobility, and there may be underlying conditions (fears) that I'm unaware of, or simply loss of interest. Trail riding would be ok I suppose, but neither sled is an ideal trail sled - both were built for the steep and deep. Never much snow around home, either. Can anyone suggest an area or mtn that is very "user friendly", that could help build confidence? I'm thinking because she never injured herself on the sled, that perhaps she had a good scare I don't know about...

Talk to the dudes at the Gear Hub in Fernie. We had a conversation about an area like this that he takes first timers, people who have fear of "the mountains". He will help to fill your very loved wife with confidence and a security.

Cheers
Momma

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I broke my leg last year jan 6. Both bones right above the ankle. I was alone about 5 miles from the house and had to truck it back through the pain. I got stuck on the way home as well. Needless to say it was a very tramatic experiance. I missed the whole season of riding ( probably the best one we will see around lloyd in years!) but after 3 months I did the physio hard and got back to work by the end of march. I worked a few shifts and was feeling pretty good so I convinced the wife to tag along with me to golden for a nice and easy spring ride to knock the cob webs off. Now I have broke bones dirt biking and sledding before but always arm/ wrist stuff nothing that puts me out like this. When we got up to the alpine I went straight for a hill that I have rode 1000 times before. Made a couple little pulls scoped out the snow then tried to go hard.... Not happening my wife video taped it and I could see me holding back and letting out of good wheelies ( how I broke my leg ). so the first day seemed like a waste to me but when we got to the hotel I talked myself into trying a chute I had tried before but couldnt ever get it done. This is also on video and I just went to the bottom shut my brain off and did it. Scared the $hit right out of me but i gained my confidence a bit more every time I climed that chute!
This year I bought an M1000 RG turbo and when I was testing it out guess what was the last thing in my mind! But every one reacts different to every situation I believe in the old motto if you fall off the horse get bang on and try it again! Injuries suck as I am still fighting with my leg ( had the plates and pins removed and probably going to need another surgury as I still dont walk right). But thats my story I hope you guys get back out and enjoy many more years of this beautiful sport! I know thats my plan :)

Top Bottom