For All You EFI Guys Out There.....

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I got a 1993 AC MC ETX550 EFI, my question is, Can I remove the Whole Air-box Assembly and replace with 3 Small cone style Filters??? Reason for asking..... Doing Steering post mod, have to relocate computer, figured pulling the whole air-box and mounting the computer lower in the chassis...\

Will this make fuel/air issues with my sled??? will the EFI make changes or compensate for the different airflow??? Thnaks guys AWESOME SITE!!!
Powder Special A-arms, Spindles, Shocks and Ski's

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I got a 1993 AC MC ETX550 EFI, my question is, Can I remove the Whole Air-box Assembly and replace with 3 Small cone style Filters??? Reason for asking..... Doing Steering post mod, have to relocate computer, figured pulling the whole air-box and mounting the computer lower in the chassis...\

Will this make fuel/air issues with my sled??? will the EFI make changes or compensate for the different airflow??? Thnaks guys AWESOME SITE!!!
Powder Special A-arms, Spindles, Shocks and Ski's

Lots of views noone has any ideas??

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shouldn't be too much of an issue, i know everybody does it on the doo 1000s as it is a needed mod if you want it to last.
i thought the 550 was a twein i know ours was. it was a 93 pantera.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shouldn't be too much of an issue, i know everybody does it on the doo 1000s as it is a needed mod if you want it to last.
i thought the 550 was a twein i know ours was. it was a 93 pantera.

YA... that was my mishap... it is a 550 twin...[media]https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/images/smilies/doh.gif[/media]

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems to make a difference on all other EFI sleds. I don't have any experience with your sled but it seems all the efi sleds with pipe and airbox work are running a piggyback fuel box.

Sled efi systems don't have a mass air flow sensors, they use vacuum, temp sensors, etc., to estimate mass air flow. So if your flowing more air for the same vac. (and other) reading the efi system will not add more fuel - you'll go lean.

That's all the help I can give. I'm not sure if fuel boxes are available for that sled.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just for the ambient air temp same as the doo doos. if i remember right.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you have wires plug in to the air box I know the 580 efi's had wires

Yes I do Have those Wires.... So answer me this... The throttle bodies do not have any type of factory Air Cleaner, or anything that would restrict or slow Air Flow down, to me all it looks like is an open box that allowes air in, but is sealed enough in such a way as to not let any snow in...

So I ask, If I get 2 cone style filters, will that not cancel out or at least somewhat maintain the restrictions that the "OPEN" airbox provides??

Blow air right on your hand, then do it with a sock between your hand and air source, this is the theory I an trying to work with...

Thanks guys, lets nail this one on the head

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
changing to filters from a box no big deal pull the eletrical thing out of the air box post a picture then we'll decide what to do with it

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
changing to filters from a box no big deal pull the eletrical thing out of the air box post a picture then we'll decide what to do with it

Thx TROLLCAT for the info, but I wont be tearing into the sled for a few months yet (still lots of snow to kill), I'm just trying to plan my summer projects and the more info I can filter through before I have pieces laying everywhere the better!!

Top Bottom