flatlanders head west

Taylorg

Reaction score
A few of us Manitobans want to head out to western alberta/eastern BC just after new years. We're looking for a good and fairly safe place to ride, jump and climb a bit and explore ourselves. We got a couple shorttracks with 1 3/4" tracks. any and all help is appreciated.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you stay on the TC and switch to #3 in Medicine Hat, Fernie is the closest destination. Well groomed trails, areas of no avalanches, and great riding in the trees. One can have a lot of fun close to the groomed trail so the short tracks wouldn't be a real problem. Just some food for thought......:xmas2004_15.

PS trail passes are only $10/day

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Fernie Snow,

My two sons and myself are thinking of coming down to the Fernie area between xmas and new years. My oldest son and myself have rode in the mountains alot but the youngest son does not have alot of mountain experience. I have rode in the Elford & Corbin area but was wondering were I would stage if we were to ride the Fernie trails into the Fernie cabin. The way you describe the trail system down there I think my youngest would have no problem tackling the trails and my oldest and myself would find some areas to have fun in. Any ways any words of advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Billy Boy:cool:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
At the last set of lights on the highway (Rip & Richard's is on the right), turn left into downtown. Cross the tracks and turn right. The second left is Coal Creek road, drive past the dump and rifle range to the Coal Creek staging area. Enjoy....:xmas2004_15:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure its 4th street right Fernie?....but there are also the hard to miss signs with snowmobiles on them pointing you in the right direction if you look for them :)

Taylor, I would also say go to Fernie. Easy staging area to locate with lots of room. Trail in is easy to navigate. And as FernieSnow mentioned there is area of low avalanche risk to ride, You aren't exposed to high risk areas on the trail in and once you reach the cabin lots of room to explore for short tracks. Depending on conditions you could jump off the trail in at anytime and play in the hills.

try this link for more info

With the new groomed trail to Wranglers there is no issues with being in the wrong place, riding on roads that shouldn't be rode on, and finding your way to prime riding areas. Man no more goat trail to find rolling hills, geash. :)

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you stay on the TC and switch to #3 in Medicine Hat, Fernie is the closest destination. Well groomed trails, areas of no avalanches, and great riding in the trees. One can have a lot of fun close to the groomed trail so the short tracks wouldn't be a real problem. Just some food for thought......:xmas2004_15.

PS trail passes are only $10/day

with statemnets like that Fernie one day i might be able to convince the wife to hit the hills. myself and son really want to go but she is terrifed of an avalanche. the first/last time we were supposed to go 2 guys i went to school with died in the clemina slide, right where we were supposed to go. so your area might be convincable. post lots of pics and then maybe just maybe.......................................

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
with statemnets like that Fernie one day i might be able to convince the wife to hit the hills. myself and son really want to go but she is terrifed of an avalanche. the first/last time we were supposed to go 2 guys i went to school with died in the clemina slide, right where we were supposed to go. so your area might be convincable. post lots of pics and then maybe just maybe.......................................

Just look at the pictures in the Mountain Mania V thread. There are some with gentle and some with not so gentle. The Coal Creek trail will lead to an enjoyable day and it will even be better next year when our new cabin is finished.

PS It is only 6 hours from Edmonton if you go straight thru Calgary to Nanton and then cross the Porcupine Hills to highway 22.

LeafRider

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, we're heading to Fernie Jan. 6-9th and looking for someone to show us around or even toss me a few GPS coordinates of safe play areas. It's key to keep things safe when learning backcountry riding. Alot of the hills and powder riding we get into in northern Saskatchewan isn't in comparison, but we are definitely intermediate riders looking for someone to show us around next weekend. Please PM me if you're interested in 3 30 year olds from SK tagging along with your crew to this "Cabin" or "Rolling Hills" area from the Coal Creek staging area. We'd be willing to pay cash to get someone's trail and expertise of the area.

Our main goal if we don't find anyone willing to show us around is to stage at Coal Creek ride trail East and south on Paige's Drive towards the "Rolling Hills". Is this a valid day trip? How well marked are the "main / developed" trails. Where are the trails groomed to? Is making it to the Wrangler's cabin in a day realistic from Coal Creek or does that involve staging from Morrissey / Fernie Wilderness Adventures. I see this "BC Hydro" line that's marked like a useable trail, however it passed through and Avalanche area. Is there "safe" riding area if you stick to the trails only and go off-trail only where comfortable?

Any Fernie information is a huge help. What does an average day look and sound like when sledding Fernie. We all have 800cc long track, 2.25+ lugs. Thanks

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the trip you have planned is easily done in a day, if you are going into the rolling hills take caution of the weather, if the fog rolls in it's very easy to get lost. the trails are groomed but not to manitoba or sask. standards. the temps have been very warm so the trails are not groomed as much. On the positive the temps are forcast too cool and a large dumping of snow should come along with it. there are many options of trails going too the cabin with all sorts of safe play area's . Depending on were you stay Corbin is also a good option

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
Seems the area is getting ridden lots, so if you stage in Fernie proper you will find tracks leading to all the areas as well as folks stopped along the trail. Folks in Fernie area are pretty good folk and I do not believe you will have any problems filling a day or two of riding. Once you get a day or two under your belt (and a gps track or two), you will get a handle on the main routes. Trails are always easy enough to follow and as mentioned, lots of folks along the trail to stop and chat with, ask directions and about conditions etc. I suggest relax into the area and enjoy yourself. Don't forget to stop in the Crowsnest Pass for a ride as well. Been awful black west of the Pass so chances are lots of snow falling at altitude all around. Same scenario exists around Crowsnest Pass; friendly folks and good trail markings. Do yourself a favor and buy a trail map or two on the trip. Check out how the maps relate to the area around Crowsnest Pass by visiting our website and looking at Google Earth scenario: for the Northside and for the Southside.

Cat Man

Reaction score
Fernie/coal creek is a great area to ride and meet great people.Nice groomed trails and good signage leading to Wranglers cabin and back to fernie, packing a gps to mark your path is also a great idea.This my first year and since christmas ive been there 4 times already, got my wife a sled and bought her a suit this last trip to Fernie......now she is hooked a well.

Top Bottom