Flathead Road Conditions, Barnes Lake, Rain Guage, Elliott Lake ect.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flathead SNOW Conditions, Barnes Lake, Rain Guage, Elliott Lake ect.

I thought I would start another post this year, for the flathead area, Just to separate from the rolling hill ect, which they stage on the Corbin rd as well at the Yelow Gate and Tin Shack.
Please ad any missing info or corrections

Last edited:

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Staging at Corbin town site wed morning for a ride up Flathead to do some testing on sled. Anyone would like to join me I would enjoy the company. Or if someone would like a tour of the area. please join me. Should be there by 11am ride for bout 4 hrs.

PLEASE text me. (306) 630-6059 in case I change area's Like Castle or Atlas, I'm pretty flexable

Grey Ram 3500, sk plates, sled deck. HCR

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You have been down there enough to realize the tender situation with Teck. FYI, there are new parking signs/areas for employees and sledders at the town site. It is signed quite well. Have fun and enjoy, fs

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Flathead Road SNOW Conditions, Barnes Lake, Rain Guage, Elliott Lake ect.

Yes I do, thanks for the reminder. I think I will just go to atlas or York for a test drive, closer and a long drive back home after. Hey FS maybe coming your way in the new year for a ride.
Hope to see u and Bev

Last edited:

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Flathead, Conditions, Barnes Lake, Rain Guage, Elliott Lake ect.

Doug, all I have heard about this "tender situation" with Teck is they are now using half the townsite staging area for employee parking.
Anything else we need to know about?

Turts, typing on

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Doug, all I have heard about this "tender situation" with Teck is they are now using half the townsite staging area for employee parking.
Anything else we need to know about?

Turts, typing on

Not really. Just follow the signage and all will be good. When they start grooming, there may be extra parking on the other side of the bridge as the plan is to try and clear out more space.

jhard

Reaction score

Any updates on conditions headed there in the morning

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Any updates on conditions headed there in the morning

Not very much new snow. If you go far enough south and get to the plowed road remember that snowmobiles are not allowed on plowed logging roads. Canfor is logging in the Flathead for most of the winter.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Rode Flathead Sat & Sun Hero snow everywhere, But some good tree riding was found on sat at Elliot Lake, was great for climbing with short tracks, trees have some snow if u look. Some drift jumping at the end of Banes Lake. Found some tree riding at Limestone, But everywhere needs snow badly. Sun was better went to Heartbreak, Ok tree riding, boys enjoyed it a lot more. Would not make the drive again without a very good dump.
So lets all of us do the snow dance.
PS Flathead trail was good. Nice to see grooming up Barnes trail to creek, didn't see sled groomer to tow to top. Thanks Curtis good work.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We were out last four days at hungry horse, if you would follow the flat head rd and continue to the USA, and drove it another 35 miles you would of had this
snow, you were that close

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 172

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We were out last four days at hungry horse, if you would follow the flat head rd and continue to the USA, and drove it another 35 miles you would of had this
Are U staging at Corbin Town site? If so at the Y in the road pass Rain Guage turn off. do U stay left and head south Cause right takes u to Lodgepole/ Wranglers Cabin et. Is there a map that shows, that area. My map stops before border, don't show any Hungry Horse.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes your correct at the y, you would stay left and go along ways south, we did it once 25 years ago crossed the flathead river at the boarder, then drove down to Columbia falls another 35 miles

for going to hungry horse now, you have to go past a port of entry, courtts, or eureka then drive to hungry horse and go to the dam, we stage on the far side of the dam and love the area, been going down there for twenty five years and it's always a good ride, stay right in hungry horse or Columbia falls and your trip will be half the cost of going to revy

there is also good riding north of whitefish and ten lakes, all roads are joined and groomed... They really have there crap in order compared to fernie...

Are U staging at Corbin Town site? If so at the Y in the road pass Rain Guage turn off. do U stay left and head south Cause right takes u to Lodgepole/ Wranglers Cabin et. Is there a map that shows, that area. My map stops before border, don't show any Hungry Horse.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

It is not good to go to the USA through the old Flathead border crossing. A pretty good rumor out of Creston about some guys going across the border and paying fines, etc..

They patrol with helicopters, satellite, and drones...........so the rumor goes!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It is not good to go to the USA through the old Flathead border crossing. A pretty good rumor out of Creston about some guys going across the border and paying fines, etc..

They patrol with helicopters, satellite, and drones...........so the rumor goes!
The USBS are using drones almost exclusively now especially on the Mexican border. Not sure on the Canadian but they do use drones even on us. Watch Border Wars. Very interesting.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You'd be crazy to cross the border at anywhere except a port of entry today. There is a big sign at Flathead, and you would probably wind up behind bars for a while until it all gets sorted out. Likely have charges or big fines. If you are on sleds, you are VERY easy to track right back to the truck.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Back 25 years ago then ken it was Doug lee, and I think your partner or mechanic at the time, think I still have a few pictures of the river crossing

The USBS are using drones almost exclusively now especially on the Mexican border. Not sure on the Canadian but they do use drones even on us. Watch Border Wars. Very interesting.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Back 25 years ago then ken it was Doug lee, and I think your partner or mechanic at the time, think I still have a few pictures of the river crossing
Probably my mechanic Doug if it was with Doug Lee. Sounds like something those 2 characters would do. Lol.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup, they do. There's an old Forest Service lookout site south of me that's only about 200ft from the border. We've seen drones flying over us a couple of times there in the summer while we were standing right on the line.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats who it was ken, had a good trip way back then, we ran poos. And your Doug had a doo... The bar on the other side was open still, can't remember the guys name, but gave us fuel

Probably my mechanic Doug if it was with Doug Lee. Sounds like something those 2 characters would do. Lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats who it was ken, had a good trip way back then, we ran poos. And your Doug had a doo... The bar on the other side was open still, can't remember the guys name, but gave us fuel
I remember them talking about that trip. My old mechanic Doug liked it so much down there he bought a cabin there. Spends quite abit of time down there he tells me.

Top Bottom