Flat deck opinions

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what do you have for a flat deck and what would you change on it.
Sleds and Side by side deck is what I'm thinking. What brand or dealer worked best for you.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a used aluminum deck off kijiji. First thing I did was add more tie down points, and I still wish I had more. I'd also make the headache rack/front of the deck strong enough to mount a good winch cause I can think of a couple times already that I could have used one. Also pay attention to where the fuel filler is, when mine was below the deck it wouldn't fill properly, and now that I put it up through the deck it fills better but still not perfect (have to hold handle and fill slowly or the pump kicks off). Not sure what truck your putting it on or if it's a dually but on my are I find the fold out sides great for side loading quads, I just wish the deck was a foot or even 6inches longer so that the quads fit better (I do have wide backspacing wheels on both quads though).

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too bought used from a friend. Got it cheap so not gonna bitch.

1. I added 5/8 plywood instead of flimsy 1/2 for more support on deck
2. I added more tie down spots
3. i still need to make an extension for the ramp, may even buy the telescopic one cause the angle of ramp is retarded, have to back up to snow banks, or into a ditch to load/offload
4. going to add lighting for when loading/unloading in dark, don't need much, maybe even led strips front and back
5. Going to add a cheap ass winch with a snatch block for those days we don't like to talk about....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There are little things to change if you buy one. I went down and on the way I sold my box, tailgate, and bumper to a body shop in Kalispell. I kept the backup camera and the sensors and had Mike install them in the flat deck. We spent a day in Cour d'alene while he installed the deck on the truck. Got lucky at the border and didn't have to pay any taxes.

IMG_3579.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a city dweller I still tend to use the box of my truck more than maybe if I lived in the Kootenays but ideally for sledding, biking and most other activities I participate in I would like to have a flat deck. I like having my solid tonneau for securing items in the box of my truck while running around the city. Not to say smaller towns do not have crime I just like the storage space my standard box provides.

If I were to flat deck I like Fernie's with the flip sides. SRW trucks can sometimes look odd with decks but having a deck made for the truck helps. I would have some sort of Aux tank for both the vehicle and toys built in under the deck. The ramp would slide in under the flat deck.

Buying in the US may be more expensive now with our great dollar but there are some shops in Calgary and I am sure elsewhere in AB that may save you some tax.

https://www.ttwo.ca/products/aluminum-decks/

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a flat deck on an old Ford. Built a custom rack for a 4 seater side by side, which works great and can even have a slip tank underneath. The ramps go into the sides of the deck and help with containing things onto the deck a bit.

The deck itself is wide enough for two sleds but I have two extension pieces that go on the outside if required (could probably fit 3 sleds if I tried). There's a sled ramp underneath the deck and pulls out, although I wish it was longer.

As takethebounce pointed out, there have been a few occasions where I wish I had a truck box. With a flat deck you can't just throw things in the box and go, you have to consider what you are trying to haul and tie everything down. That being said, the deck that I have has plenty of tie down points so thats a plus.

My deck was cheaply built, so if you are getting one made I'd make it out of good quality material and think about storage.

Some things I would do after having a flat deck now: Storage boxes built in, an integrated slip tank, super glide hook points, place to store chains on the headache rack, spare tire storage area above roof, better quality deck and Linex'd.

IMG_0837.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom