Fishin' stories....

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:waterskiing:Ever since we were little children, we would hear these great, wonderful fishin stories from the adults in our lives who were kind enough to share their experiences with us.
Now it's our turn. Let's hear your fishin' stories. I am sure none of them are at all exaggerated, no one's ever are.
What have you got, and who can top your story?

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a fair skinned person and back about 15 years back my buddy and I went fishing all day out on the lake in my aluminum fishing boat.
Beautiful day +30C and not a cloud in the sky and we caught a boat full of fish !!
But because of the Aluminum boat, the blue sky and the sun reflecting off the water I came home with 2nd degree burns on most of my upper body !
I could not wear a shirt for two weeks !!:(
The moral of the story is to take a hat, sunglasses and most important Sun Block !! UGH !;)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a really cute one. My youngest son was just learning how to cast his own open faced rod last year. I sent the bigger kids up, the creek, so my little one and I could get his skills of casting perfected. He caught a few fish and reeled them in by himself and was so pleased. Then he hooked a big one,(big for our creek). It snapped his line off. He was so upset as his magic hook was on that line. He fished for a little while longer and caught a few more fish. When it was getting dark I whistled for the other kids to join us so we could head back up the trail. At that time I figured I'd take my flyrod out for a quick cast or two. I hadn't fished all night. Wouldn't you know it. I hooked the fish that my son had caught earlier with his magic hook. He was so happy.

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So......... imagine being in a little crappy boat on Seabert lake. Sun is beginning to set. Time to go in, before it gets dark.

I want to check out one little area that is like a little bay first.
Two or three casts, and as usual, Magnet gets a bite. A strong bite, and it won't let go. He is being careful it doesn't break the line on our son's little fishing rod, (which by the way, is quite flexible).
It comes up near the surface, and WOW!!! Net needed here.

So finally after about 15 minutes of trying to reel it in, it is scooped up and into the boat. As the net is being brought into the boat, our son (5 or so at the time) bolts under the front of the boat, and absolutely horrified. Not realizing how big the fish is, I want it to be put down near me. So, Magnet sets it down near me. It lays still.

We are on our way back to shore. No need to measure, as it was plenty over the size it must be.
Well Mr. Fish starts getting rowdy. As I am telling Magnet that it is flippin and floppin and I am freaked out, he can't hear me as I am at the back of the boat, and he is at the front, driving. My leg got sort of stuck to the bench I was sitting on, as the fish was so slimey that when it was flopping around, slime was flinging everywhere. It was like having 2 inch thick strings of white snot stuck on my leg, and the bench.
My little boy is peeking out from under the front of the boat, he has been crying all this time, as he is afraid of this beast fish.
Well, little did I know, the reason he was freaking out is that when the fish was flopping around, it cut a pretty good gash in my leg, and I didn't notice how much I was bleeding, as I was busy trying to coax my son back out .

Everyone else on the lake were gone now, it was just us, with a monster in our boat.
We get back to shore, now we are actually able to properly measure this thing. Our son was 109 cm tall, and beast fish measured 18 pounds and 103 cm.
The people we were camping with said they heard hootin and hollering and Magnet yelling, but they couldn't make out what we were saying, it was carrying so far across the lake.:PDT_kap:
So that is the first "big beast fish" story of our life.

Robins

Reaction score
Last spring, i took my 3 1/2 year old daughter out on Pigeon Lake for a few hours. She was using my ice fishing rod with 20' of line out with a jig on it and a round bobber. After trolling for a little while she yells at me that she caught a fish, i look back and there is a little walleye with the golfball size red/white bobber in its mouth and then takes off. Although she didn't land the fish, it was her first fishing experience and she was full of smiles!

Top Bottom